• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Virginia Mother Charged With Murder After 4-Year-Old Son Dies From Eating THC Gummies

When do we start charging Drs? If they would done something earlier.. they may have lived. She is not a trained medical professional, and they fuck up all the time.

Seems like allot of coulda shoulda perhaps and maybes.

Its a tragic accident and imho prosecuting this Mother is a disgrace based off the limited information I have read.

"Before she was charged, the mother told WUSA-TV that she thought she had bought CBD gummies from a Fredericksburg store and had no idea that what she bought actually contained THC. She said the boy suffered from a "cardiac episode" and reported that it was determined her son "had something odd with his heart."

While some states have banned such products, others have worked to set limits on them. Virginia lawmakers grappled during this year's legislative session with how to regulate products with THC, aiming in particular to rein in the sales of items with delta-8. But they failed to reach a consensus amid fierce pushback from the hemp industry. A state taskforce has been meeting to consider options for next year's session."

The Food and Drug Administration warned last year that products containing delta-8 THC "have not been evaluated or approved by the FDA for safe use in any context." From December 2020 and February 2022, the agency said it received 104 reports of adverse events involving products containing delta-8 THC. National poison control centers received 2,362 cases of exposure to such products during the same period, including one pediatric case coded with an outcome of death, according to the FDA.

I know someone that died from water.. ban that shit
Water doesn't cause psychosis, schizophrenia, panic, tachycardia, breathing problems, stuntend brain development/lower IQ, or many various other potentially serious side effects.

I really hate and don't understand why people continue to believe this outdated "weed is harmless" mantra.

Psilocin is reportedly also not neurotoxic. I'd bed $1000 you wouldn't take 1000mg of it, though. Just because something doesn't kill you doesn't mean it can't make you fucking brain dead or permanently psychotic.

The Food and Drug Administration warned last year that products containing delta-8 THC "have not been evaluated or approved by the FDA for safe use in any context." From December 2020 and February 2022, the agency said it received 104 reports of adverse events involving products containing delta-8 THC. National poison control centers received 2,362 cases of exposure to such products during the same period, including one pediatric case coded with an outcome of death, according to the FDA.
I believe even regular weed, especially edible form, has a notable number of ER visits. I believe almost all of them turn out to be panic attacks, with the belief that the drug was “laced”

Water doesn't cause psychosis, schizophrenia, panic, tachycardia, beeathing problems, stuntend brain development/lower IQ, or many various other potentially serious side effects.

I really hate and don't understand why people continue to believe this outdated "weed is harmless" mantra.

Psilocin is reportedly also not neurotoxic. I'd bed $1000 you wouldn't take 1000mg of it, though.
See what you did here Void was somehow jump to the conclusion that I think ""weed is harmless."" Weed doesn't cause schizophrenia. I would be surprised if it causes "stunted brain development" but given the world we live in stunted may provide a better life experience.. ignorance is bliss and all.

Whats harmless.. nothing

We have all at least gandered at the prescription information provided with medications we are prescribed.. and almost all of them include the risk of death.. and whole bunch of awful, really awful shit.

you cant ban stuff because some people have a bad or even very bad reaction.. can you?

Surely there are very few people who say "weed is harmless."
What I hear (and what I agree with) is "weed is far less toxic than a lot of other drugs that are both legal and socially acceptable."
Acetaminophen and alcohol are excellent examples.

Weed doesn't cause schizophrenia.
Incorrect. I can link you modern studies from the past 2 years which prove the link, beyond the decades old assumptions of the connection. I smoked heavy weed from age 13-29 (when I had my diagnosis). It had a lot to do with it.

Many people also falsely believe schizophrenia is purely a genetic condition. This is also false and based on bad 40+ year old science.

I would be surprised if it causes "stunted brain development"
You'd be surprised then. Life long cannabis use is associated with a 5+ IQ decease. Again, I can link some studies. I've posted them here.

life experience.. ignorance is bliss and all.

Whats harmless.. nothing

We have all at least gandered at the prescription information provided with medications we are prescribed.. and almost all of them include the risk of death.. and whole bunch of awful, really awful shit.

you cant ban stuff because some people have a bad or even very bad reaction.. can you?

I'm not going to argue the nuances of what is bad and good, I'm only explaining to you the modern negatives of frequent cannabis use, which are real.

Ignorance is indeed bliss, but daily cannabis is far from harmless and I honestly don't understand how anyone could doubt that idea. This sentiment is decades old.

In comparison to other drugs weed might seem harmless, sure, but the idea of harmless is folly and old.

BOTTOM LINE: weed isnt 4% THC like it was a few decades ago. Now its 20-95% THC. Any studies from the 80s or 90s are null and void.

That's actually a pretty good record imo, esp considering how fly-by-night the delta 8 industry has been

As a consumer you should be wary, to a healthy degree, regarding the accuracy of what's printed on the packaging of whatever it is you're choosing to consume, esp. in certain contexts (for example, if you're consuming a delta 8 product in a state in which cannabis is still illegal). Still not a whole lot of regulatory stuff that these products have to abide by so it's largely on you the consumer to do your homework about it before making an informed decision (and hopefully not leave the product around so that it'll be consumed by an animal or small child, etc)

I also don't think that anyone is arguing from a position of, "weed is harmless"

@Snafu in the Void waiting for the studies that show weed causes anything but early onset of predetermined schizophrenia.

Also, being a caretaker and grower of very strong strains for decades at least a decade before almost everyone had a clue or access to fire weed. I have a significant picture of samples of sustained long term use (friends).. unlimited grass and then unlimited dabs.. don't blather at me like i'm clueless as ill sit you down. of course its not harmless. Why do you keep saying it is.

Last edited:
Continuing a bit on the delta 8 tangent, the delta 8 people are drug dealers. Same as people who put out Budweiser or anything else. But if I were to drink a can of Budweiser, I know with a high level of confidence exactly what's in the can, in regards to alcohol content. In many states with fully legalized cannabis, you can have that level of certainty regarding what's in the product you're consuming because the state has said "this kind of drug dealing is now OK with us" and has imposed regulations on the industry, so you can have a certain level of confidence as a consumer

Delta 8 & associates, and kratom (to an extent) and others (like what you're increasingly starting to see with hallucinogens) are more peripheral regarding regulatory stuff and more new to me personally so I'm just generally more skeptical regarding what they list as dosage etc.

You'd be surprised then. Life long cannabis use is associated with a 5+ IQ decease. Again, I can link some studies. I've posted them here.
A correlation and a causation are VERY different things.

Stressed people are far more likely to rely on frequent and heavy cannabis use, and heavy stress is associated with a decrease in IQ of 10-13 points or so.

All studies I have seen have shown that any cannabis induced deficits in intelligence can be reversed with a single month of abstinence.

Doesn’t age also cause a slight IQ decrease? The brain calcifies, does it not? So maybe this association doesn’t prove much…

Yeah, something is really off here.
This would be the first death from THC ever recorded if true...

Here's a good explanation of why this is unlikely (From Reddit):
There are deaths from CHS, but that's the only thing I can think of, and CHS is extremely rare and comes from incessant abuse as is.
Some people are very allergic to THC. A friend of mine has had many anaphylactic episodes, but it seems only specific terpenes cause it, not exactly THC. I've seen him either break out in terrible hives and have sneezing fits or his lips/tongue swell up, either time it was scary.

This article is sus for sure, though. I had 3 little nephews, who at the time were 5, 4 and 3. My cousin had someone house sitting or something while they were away and they left a "gift" of weed brownies which the kids gobbled plenty up. Nothing happened, they just slept, a lot