• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Diet Veganism made my addiction and recovery WAY harder than they should have been

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Just wanted to write a cautionary tale for addicts who are vegan or thinking about going vegan, from someone who did it for over 10 years. VEGANISM IS A SCAM. And no, i was not "doing it wrong" lol there is just no way of doing it right, maybe you wont notice the damage when you are young and ur body is practically bulletproof but i'm in my late twenties looking like i'm bloody thirty-five, and it's 90% because of veganism. They might have convinced you with one of those HORRIBLE documentaries about animal cruelty, telling you that going vegan will save the planet and the animals, and your health lol none of it is true, you should be against factory farming and unnecessary animal cruelty, not against something that humans need to thrive, which is eating animal products. You can only survive for so long eating damn plants before all kinds of health problems or even death if you happen to be an infant, happen. No bloody plant will ever fulfill and nurture you like meat does. Oh, but if you or someone you know got sick, you were simply "doing it wrong" hell, if doing it wrong has the risks of losing your hair, acting like a psychopath, getting wrinkles and cracks in your skin, feeling like shit all day, muscle and joint pain, etc, maybe it's not such an ideal diet like everyone tends to think... I'm just pissed that it took me so long to get rid of it because believe me you are never full no matter how much greens you eat, we are not freaking rabbits, and my recovery would have been so much easier and faster without that stupid enormous sacrifice i was doing. I always wondered why my friends who ate junk all the time and did more dope and less excercise than me were so much more energetic and strong than me. Well there it is. Fuck, those 10+ years were such a waste, i kept drooling at lunch watching my family eat gulash and borsch while i had a miserable raw potato. No shit i aged so fast and lost so much strenght in such little time while working out like a maniac 5 hrs a day. Dont even get me started with "vegan athletes tho" thats another illusion. I just wonder why no one ever said shit to me while watching me slowly kill myself? Maybe they thought i knew better cus i spent so much time reading about it yet never got results. It's such bullshit and some malnourished little vegan is prolly reading this and thinking i'm nuts, because "there are no ex vegans, once you go vegan u never look back" lol, 80+% of vegans go back to meat, there are more ex vegans than vegans and if your shitty eating disorder is so great, why would that even happen? Forgive this pointless rant, i just wish to save anyone from falling into that dumbshit, ignorant self-harm. Veganism is a scam and if you are a recovering addict, go fucking primal and eat only beef, eggs, raw milk, greek yoghurt and FRUITS!!! But grains, vegetables and SEED OILS are anti-nutrients and will fuck up your gut. You'll be alright, and so will the planet.

Just wanted to write a cautionary tale for addicts who are vegan or thinking about going vegan, from someone who did it for over 10 years. VEGANISM IS A SCAM. And no, i was not "doing it wrong" lol there is just no way of doing it right, maybe you wont notice the damage when you are young and ur body is practically bulletproof but i'm in my late twenties looking like i'm bloody thirty-five, and it's 90% because of veganism. They might have convinced you with one of those HORRIBLE documentaries about animal cruelty, telling you that going vegan will save the planet and the animals, and your health lol none of it is true, you should be against factory farming and unnecessary animal cruelty, not against something that humans need to thrive, which is eating animal products. You can only survive for so long eating damn plants before all kinds of health problems or even death if you happen to be an infant, happen. No bloody plant will ever fulfill and nurture you like meat does. Oh, but if you or someone you know got sick, you were simply "doing it wrong" hell, if doing it wrong has the risks of losing your hair, acting like a psychopath, getting wrinkles and cracks in your skin, feeling like shit all day, muscle and joint pain, etc, maybe it's not such an ideal diet like everyone tends to think... I'm just pissed that it took me so long to get rid of it because believe me you are never full no matter how much greens you eat, we are not freaking rabbits, and my recovery would have been so much easier and faster without that stupid enormous sacrifice i was doing. I always wondered why my friends who ate junk all the time and did more dope and less excercise than me were so much more energetic and strong than me. Well there it is. Fuck, those 10+ years were such a waste, i kept drooling at lunch watching my family eat gulash and borsch while i had a miserable raw potato. No shit i aged so fast and lost so much strenght in such little time while working out like a maniac 5 hrs a day. Dont even get me started with "vegan athletes tho" thats another illusion. I just wonder why no one ever said shit to me while watching me slowly kill myself? Maybe they thought i knew better cus i spent so much time reading about it yet never got results. It's such bullshit and some malnourished little vegan is prolly reading this and thinking i'm nuts, because "there are no ex vegans, once you go vegan u never look back" lol, 80+% of vegans go back to meat, there are more ex vegans than vegans and if your shitty eating disorder is so great, why would that even happen? Forgive this pointless rant, i just wish to save anyone from falling into that dumbshit, ignorant self-harm. Veganism is a scam and if you are a recovering addict, go fucking primal and eat only beef, eggs, raw milk, greek yoghurt and FRUITS!!! But grains, vegetables and SEED OILS are anti-nutrients and will fuck up your gut. You'll be alright, and so will the planet.
I feel your post. Might I suggest paragraph breaks for reading ease in the future?

Yknow late 20s and 35 is basically no difference.
If that was meant to shock. It doesnt

There’s a difference, just not a pronounced one.

Completely agree with you OP, it’s a scam perpetuated by the rich so they can then feed you patented processed foods. Anyone here ever bought some “beyond” meat? Shits n arm and a leg.

I’m in my mid 30’s and have taken the opposite approach as vegans, I just got told a few weeks ago once again that I look like I’m in my mid 20’s.

Collagen is needed or else you can expect to look like a wrinkled prune in no time. If we look chemically nutrients in animal products are absorbed better and there’s less anti-nutrients to get in the way.

Last festival I went to I met a 25yr old vegan, and my brother later commented he thought the guy was older than me.

For millennia we’ve eaten meat, while we can argue on the morality of it (which goes out the window when we look at nature, carnivores, etc) one thing that can’t be argued is the health effects. Any health benefits are short lived and usually the result of someone changing from a normal shitty diet to one with more fruits and vegetables.

Fuck Veganism lol.

-GC

If I remember correctly one of the soy products in Beyond Meat used to be a soy waste product and then the FDA approved it for human consumption after testing in mice 28 days. I think it was Beyond Meat that pushed to get it approved

I’m really sensitive to foods. I saw a bag of Beyond “Jerky” one day and decided to give it a try for laughs. Actually didn’t taste bad, it was savory but very obviously not meat with a distinct bean flavor. The texture was more similar than the taste, lacking that iron taste.

That said couple hours later I was feeling like shit with a headache, never again.

-GC

Could not disagree more strongly. I was vegan for 9 months and it was the only period in my entire life where I had ENERGY, like everyone else seems to have. I was much calmer and happier, too and my skin and hair looks fucking amazing.

If you lost hair, got muscle and joint pain etc you were absolutely DEFINITELY 100% doing it wrong. Sounds like you gave yourself some severe deficiencies.

I do think people assume vegan is healthy and that is not ALWAYS the case.

What foods were you eating? My experience was the opposite of yours, but I went from eating very little fruit and veg to average like 10-14 portions a day.

I think it is. If someone is 27 they should not look like i do, especially if they sleep as much as me.

There can be huge differences between how people look at varying ages. I'm 32 and I sometimes go out with my cousin (not the one I'm a little bit Alabama with, different cousin) who is 21 and people often think HE is the older one of us.

There can be huge differences between how people look at varying ages. I'm 32 and I sometimes go out with my cousin (not the one I'm a little bit Alabama with, different cousin) who is 21 and people often think HE is the older one of us.
What i mean is i have eyebags even if i sleep as much as i do, my skin looks dead and my hair falls off, i have too much expression lines, etc and i think it is because of veganism, how long have you been vegan? Please dont say 9 months. I ate what my dietician told me and still got a 20% muscle loss despite working out alot

What i mean is i have eyebags even if i sleep as much as i do, my skin looks dead and my hair falls off, i have too much expression lines, etc and i think it is because of veganism, how long have you been vegan? Please dont say 9 months. I ate what my dietician told me and still got a 20% muscle loss despite working out alot

I'm not vegan any more. I WAS for 9 months but I have a looooong history of anorexia and I unintentionally lost 15-20lbs in those 9 months and the weight loss triggered an anorexic episode so my doctor strongly advised against trying any type of restrictive diet.

I'm not vegan any more. I WAS for 9 months but I have a looooong history of anorexia and I unintentionally lost 15-20lbs in those 9 months and the weight loss triggered an anorexic episode so my doctor strongly advised against trying any type of restrictive diet.
Oh shit im sorry :( i was 6 months in rehab for anorexia nervosa and many vegans have eating disorders, it is heavily co-related. My first language is russian so im sorry if i write weird english. I was vegan for ten years and believe me we are not meant to be vegan. It felt good the first two years tho. I follow alot of ED recovery accounts on instagram some are really good, maybe check them out

Oh shit im sorry :( i was 6 months in rehab for anorexia nervosa and many vegans have eating disorders, it is heavily co-related. My first language is russian so im sorry if i write weird english. I was vegan for ten years and believe me we are not meant to be vegan. It felt good the first two years tho. I follow alot of ED recovery accounts on instagram some are really good, maybe check them out

It's cool, I'm fine now. Not engaged in eating disordered behaviour for over 3 years :)
And your English is excellent; I wouldn't have known it wasn't your first language if you hadn't told me.

Could not disagree more strongly. I was vegan for 9 months and it was the only period in my entire life where I had ENERGY, like everyone else seems to have. I was much calmer and happier, too and my skin and hair looks fucking amazing.

If you lost hair, got muscle and joint pain etc you were absolutely DEFINITELY 100% doing it wrong. Sounds like you gave yourself some severe deficiencies.

I do think people assume vegan is healthy and that is not ALWAYS the case.

What foods were you eating? My experience was the opposite of yours, but I went from eating very little fruit and veg to average like 10-14 portions a day.

You can’t really advocate for a diet plan you couldn’t even make a year on.. 9mos isn’t enough time to really start to feel the effects. Even then, I always say comparing a shit sandwich to a big pile of shit, the shit sandwich is gonna look pretty good but still a shit sandwich. You likely went from eating absolute garbage to semi ok whole vegetables, of course you’ll feel better.

-GC

You can’t really advocate for a diet plan you couldn’t even make a year on.. 9mos isn’t enough time to really start to feel the effects. Even then, I always say comparing a shit sandwich to a big pile of shit, the shit sandwich is gonna look pretty good but still a shit sandwich. You likely went from eating absolute garbage to semi ok whole vegetables, of course you’ll feel better.

-GC

I COULD have very easily made it permanently on. I chose not to for obvious reasons. 9 months is very definitely enough time. I felt a massive difference in just weeks.

Lots of people do it and are fine; some aren't. Personally, my stomach can't handle high-fibre foods or soy, and I've never had the strength of will to abstain from animal products for more than a few months before I give up. But it's not a scam, it's a sacrifice made for the benefit of other beings. If someone is doing it just for the ostensible health benefits, well, they may be disappointed. But I don't think most vegans do it for the health benefits.

Lots of people do it and are fine; some aren't. Personally, my stomach can't handle high-fibre foods or soy, and I've never had the strength of will to abstain from animal products for more than a few months before I give up. But it's not a scam, it's a sacrifice made for the benefit of other beings. If someone is doing it just for the ostensible health benefits, well, they may be disappointed. But I don't think most vegans do it for the health benefits.
Yes, i too fell for the scam of "doing it for the animals" not knowing that it meant messing up my health in the process. Humans must be the only animals dumb enough to do that shit. Funny thing is, veganism is not the answer to animal cruelty, or to pretty much anything they say. There are no good reasons to be vegan.

Last edited by a moderator: