• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Using tramadol to help get through methadone withdrawal

Dale , I'm definitely still feeling the WD pain . I pushed my self this morning while pressure washing our equipment. I was on a ladder and my legs started shaking. I had to take a break and sit for a few minutes. I'm stirring better than 2 weeks ago ,but still weakness is my biggest issue now . It's hard also faking smiles . During my daughters birthday party it was so hard to join the fun. I feel like those actors in those stupid antidepressant commercials with the straight no emotion face . -- The trazadone didn't work much last night when I went down to 50mg . It's so frustrating trying new meds out . I've always been sensitive to non-narcotic meds . It seemed like opiates were the magic pill that fixed everything. --- 50% there , thank you for being honest. Methadone is the hardest opiate to quit because the nagging WDs that linger on for months . I went back and read your thread and on day 35-40 you made a big change . I remember that you still had cold sensations and sneezing, but you said you felt like you entered a better state of mind. That's what I'm hanging in there for . It may not be exactly the same days as you, but I know its coming. Some people think the reason methadone lingers so long is because it stores in our fat cells . I can tell I'm still in WDs because my nose is still stuffy , my legs are still weak , and I'm still having GI issues and I'm sneezing my head off . I'm just taking one day at a time . Work sucks ,but it's time to get moving again

Hi hik,

I know you're feeling the withdrawals and I know how tough it is, but it will get better soon. You are on Day 29 if my count is right. That means you have only days or maybe a week (instead of months) before you hit that point I did where I felt like I was doing better overall.

Here's what I wrote at Day 40: "Day 40- I slept real good last night. I had no RLS last night - no chills or sneezing - or any withdrawal symptoms. My pain level is up a bit, but I'll get through that okay. I think today is going to be a really good day for me." That wasn't the last of the "not great" days, but it was the end of the "all day" after day feeling like crap. It was a turning point and I got better more quickly after that point.

I can imagine how tough it was to force those smiles at the birthday party, but you went and did your best. That speaks volumes about your character hik. When you feel helpless or hopeless, close your eyes and think about where you'll be in another month - picture yourself feeling 100% normal all the time, sleeping all night - plenty of energy - and smiling, (but still sneezing your head off. :) Believe me, sneezing a lot is nothing compared to what you've already been though.

Please stay on the 100mg of Trazodone every night for now. If you are groggy in the morning, maybe you could take it earlier and get more sleep, then have coffee in the morning if you need it. If you experiment with cutting the dose thinking you don't need as much, you won't sleep as much, if at all that night.

You wrote about how it seemed like opiates where the magic pill. They work by over-driving chemicals into the brain's pleasure receptors. If taken very long then stopped, they are always going to be followed by a big unpleasant crash (WDs) just like you and I have been through. I know you don't ever want to repeat these past 29 days again.

Give yourself a pat on the back for getting through this. It's been tough, but you've been tougher! You have got this. I also think it's great that you're taking the time to post in other people's threads. Sometimes just a few kind words make such a difference as it means we aren't going through this alone.

"I think that if I died and went straight to hell it would take me at least a week to realize I wasn't at work anymore" :)
Your friend,
Dale

Dale , yes today is day 29 . I took my 100mg of trazadone and slept pretty good last night. I'm not feeling groggy either . I guess it takes a few days to level out in the body. I also have to take testosterone replacement therapy ( low T ). I haven't taken my shot since quiting and when I did it made a big difference yesterday in my positive mood . I think today will be a good day , but as you know things can change from morning to afternoon . I've been invited to a river trip on labor day and I haven't given an answer yet ,because I'm not going if I'm this weak . If my energy returns then I'll go .

Woo Hoo - A Major Milestone for you today. Way to go!!!

f9qi5h.jpg

Your friend,
Dale

Thank you , dale . I'm so ready to feel better I can taste it , but I'm going to be patient and wait it out . I love the pic btw!!! I'm gonna PM you .

images

Congratulations on 30 days hik, you're the best!!!!

Love and support,
your friend,
Ash.

To hikfromstik, congratulations on your abstinence, you've done really well. However, can I suggest you stop counting the days as this can become obsessive in itself and rather than allowing you to forget about your addiction, it just focuses your mind on it.

After 20 years of heroin and methadone addiction and multiple attempts to come off, It wasn't until I stopped thinking about how long I'd been clean that I actually realised I WAS clean. I honestly don't know when I came off methadone - could be 3 or 4 years now. And ya know what, I really don't care...

You have a point F.U.B.A.R. and I agree with you once a person is over the withdrawals. My own revelation was much the same as yours. One day I realized it had been a while since I thought about withdrawals or the drug I took. What a great day that was too as I'm sure it was for you.

Hik's improving, but still going through WD's at this point and we are very happily celebrating this milestone with him. It's a good day!

Thanks for your advice :)
Dale

Thank you Ash for the warm congratulations , fubar--- I'm doing the best I can , how can someone hurting help from counting the days to you feel better ? Prisoners count to the days they get out , chemo patients count to the days the chemo ends, . I'm not counting the days like I was at first because I'm getting better and I'm busier now . Anyways this whole SL forum is geared to people quiting the way we want to quit. There will be a time I'll quit counting days , but I guarantee I'll keep track of my sobriety from months , then to years.

I'm doing better today. I'm working almost full time now. I'm off tomorrow so instead of laying around I'm going to wash my pickup and clean my carport. If I can do some work then my legs will gain strength. How are you making it ? I hope you mood is improving. I do want you to know how much people on SL appreciate you checking in on us .

I found out why I was so out of sorts, the kidney infection that I had last week never went away despite the abx. I went back to the doctor today and he put me on a new abx rx. So I'm more hopeful today to say the least.

I'm so happy to hear you're doing well hik. With each passing day you are getting incrementally but undoubtedly better.

Thank you for saying you appreciate me, you're too kind, and you are a very special person. I think you are so amazing to have gone through your wd journey, and especially since you are sharing your experience with others. How very selfless of you. You are making a difference with every post. Know that.

I think I am the official mother hen of SL but I don't mind, I really do care about you all and want the best for everyone I check on.

Love and support my friend, you're amazing hik and I mean that. I am so proud of you. Happy 30 days my dear friend!!!

Hugs,
Ash.
Enjoy your day off.

I'm doing better today. I'm working almost full time now. I'm off tomorrow so instead of laying around I'm going to wash my pickup and clean my carport. If I can do some work then my legs will gain strength. How are you making it ? I hope you mood is improving. I do want you to know how much people on SL appreciate you checking in on us .

Damn hik! I just posted you a long post and it didn't go through?! WTH!!

I'm on page 3 of this thread. You have done Aaamaaazzing!

I've experienced all the w/d symptoms you mention. The smell - I describe that as "my nose smells like pills" and my husband says "yeah!! It does" lol

The burning but cold skin sensation feels like Vicks eucalyptus ointment is smeared UNDER my skin. I wonder what actually causes that.

I'm glad you're on the other side! I'm going to finish reading your thread. ❤️

Damn hik! I just posted you a long post and it didn't go through?! WTH!!

I'm on page 3 of this thread. You have done Aaamaaazzing!

I've experienced all the w/d symptoms you mention. The smell - I describe that as "my nose smells like pills" and my husband says "yeah!! It does" lol

The burning but cold skin sensation feels like Vicks eucalyptus ointment is smeared UNDER my skin. I wonder what actually causes that.

I'm glad you're on the other side! I'm going to finish reading your thread. ❤️

10years , I figured out if I write a long post then I have to copy and paste to keep from losing it . The smell is about gone , but my food still taste bland. The burning cold sensations are one of the worst things about my experience. I cant get to sleep some nights because of it. Another frustrating thing is that now I will feel good one day followed by a bad day . Yesterday I was telling my wife that its finally about over ,then today wham , I woke up at 4am squirming from rls and WDs kicked back in a bit . I have noticed my rls has picked up quite a bit since beginning trazadone. I've only been on it a few days so I'm gonna try a night without it.

10years , I figured out if I write a long post then I have to copy and paste to keep from losing it . The smell is about gone , but my food still taste bland. The burning cold sensations are one of the worst things about my experience. I cant get to sleep some nights because of it. Another frustrating thing is that now I will feel good one day followed by a bad day . Yesterday I was telling my wife that its finally about over ,then today wham , I woke up at 4am squirming from rls and WDs kicked back in a bit . I have noticed my rls has picked up quite a bit since beginning trazadone. I've only been on it a few days so I'm gonna try a night without it.
Do you have access to gabapentin? That can help with RLS and it's also sedating so you could kill two birds with one stone. Trazodone usually hit me like a sledgehammer. I would have to wake up a full hour earlier than I normally would have just to be awake enough to function. The only times it didn't hit me like a sledgehammer was during particularly bad detoxes. During one detox stay I was given 200mg in addition to 50mg Librium and I still only got 4-5 hours sleep. I know what you mean about the good days/bad days. I thought I had turned a corner yesterday and I've been in an awful brain fog all day today. Planning to go to bed early and cross my fingers that tomorrow is a better day.

Last edited:
You are surely getting to the end of this. You have hung on there like a boss. I completely understand how maddening that is.

It took about 9-11 days for the worst stuff to slow down. But, I still felt like shit ... still was really cold, weak, couldn't sleep or eat,etc. And I couldn't walk standing up straight my lower back hurt so bad.

You got this hik. It's almost over. You've handled this w so much strength.

Thank you Ash for the warm congratulations , fubar--- I'm doing the best I can , how can someone hurting help from counting the days to you feel better ? Prisoners count to the days they get out , chemo patients count to the days the chemo ends, . I'm not counting the days like I was at first because I'm getting better and I'm busier now . Anyways this whole SL forum is geared to people quiting the way we want to quit. There will be a time I'll quit counting days , but I guarantee I'll keep track of my sobriety from months , then to years.

Not criticising you in the slightest mate. I know it's hard and it hurts. But in my opinion if you are counting days then the addiction still exists. When you are truly ready to be free the days won't matter.

But that's just my opinion - YMMV...

Hi hik, you wrote:
I have noticed my rls has picked up quite a bit since beginning trazadone

Take a look at this webmd link about RLS triggers:
https://www.webmd.com/brain/restless-legs-syndrome/rest-legs-syndrome-triggers

I bet you're going to think about the Trazodone after you read it, but look just as closely at the other triggers - especially Benedryl (diphenhydramine). For what it's worth - Trazodone never made my RLS worse at all. If you do stop the Trazodone, your first night will likely be sleepless (even after only taking it twice). If your mind's made up, I'd suggest that you stop it when you don't have to work the next day.

The good day followed by bad day is not going to last very long - it's just the last stages of bad days going away. I remember feeling pretty good in the morning and early afternoon, then the WD's would creep back as if the sun and moon cycle was controlling it all. That was no fun, but was a lot better than how I felt in the first month.

If you are thinking "Is this ever going to get better - really better" - YES it will and soon. Keep your eye on that day when you feel good all the time without opiates - when the withdrawals are nothing but a bad memory. Each day moves you further along to the "OH Yeah" day. I know you can do this :)

"If you 're still looking for that one person who will change your life, take a look in the mirror."
Your friend,
Dale

Dale , maybe it's just the WDs coming and going. I know those suckers show up at the worst time . I know trazadone is a older antidepressant of the amitriptyline family . I need my sleep so I'll just keep on them and wean down later .

Fubar , We're cool , no hard feelings

Last edited by a moderator: