• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Using tramadol to help get through methadone withdrawal

I have just the opposite problem with trazodone. I have to get up much earlier than I ordinarily would just to be able to function. What's your dose? My psych doc prescribed 100mg tabs, but now if I take one, I split in half and the problem is >somewhat< mitigated. If I know I'm going to get less than 7 hrs sleep, I take half a traz instead of an Ambien.

Fresh fruit is good! I bought some Georgia peaches (Ga peaches are the best but I'm biased since that's where my family roots are) at the farmers' market. They were soft and juicy, unlike the un-ripe rock hard peaches at the grocery store.

Aihfl , I'm on 100mg before bed .
- Georgia peaches are the best . They are still in season I believe. We have a local orchard here , but the peaches are nothing like the Georgia one's. I remember when coming back from Florida we would get one of the wooden bushel baskets full and give them to family as a souvenir.

I grew up on a small family farm and we had a fruit orchard. We grew June apples (sour apples), pears, grapes and peaches. I remember one year we had an unseasonably warm end of winter/beginning of spring and the peach blossoms came out early. I remember thinking it felt like summer was right around the corner and was running around barefoot outside all the time, and then WHAM, the biggest snowfall of the season (probably 4-6 inches) happened. So no peaches that year. Tennessee weather can be crazy.

My grandfather always said if you had a colder than usual early winter then it would be a early spring/ hot summer and vice versa. It's not always that way but most of the time it is. You probably had hickory trees and persimmons trees were you grew up. Did you know that there are ways going back to native Americans were you can predict how cold a winter is going to be by how heavy of a nut/fruit crop it is ? Forestry is one of my favorite hobbies, I'm a self confessed tree nut , haha

The only hickory tree I remember was a dead one that had been hit by lightning some years before we even moved there. We did have HUGE 100+ feet high sycamores though. And I had completely forgotten about our persimmon tree. It wasn't something we cultivated, it was just a random tree on the side of our driveway. Persimmons are one of my favorite fruits, although there are few things worse than biting into one that isn't ripe.

Hi hik, you wrote
It (Trazodone) keeps me asleep for about 3 hrs then I'm wide awake.

If I were you, I'd ask your doctor to increase the Trazodone dose to 150mg at night. That's what I took. I believe the max dose recommended is 300mg/day, so you'd still be at half that much. Also, if you drink or eat anything with caffeine in it, you need to stop it within 4 hours of going to bed. Now that you are off methadone, caffeine can affect you more (it does me). I don't think my sleeping habits really got to normal until I got to the 60 day mark. At that point, I still felt cold all the time and I had a lot of sneezing, but I was sleeping and feeling far better than the early days of WDs. I know you're still struggling with sleep, but look how far you've come :) You should feel very good at your progress and that you've kicked one of the hardest drug withdrawals.

A farmer and his girlfriend were out for a stroll in the fields when they came across a cow and a calf rubbing noses.
"Boy," said the farmer, "that sure makes me want to do the same."
"Well, go ahead," said his girlfriend. "It's your cow."

Your friend,
Dale

Dale, I've took 100mg then put a 50mg pill by my bed and if I wake up before 3am I'll take it and it'll get me till about 5:30am. The clonidine is actually more sedating than the trazadone, but it has some nasty side effects. Trazodone causes weight gain and I feel hungry all the time. I'll continue the traz till I feel normal again the taper down I suppose. At this point if I stop it then I'll have a few sleepless nights.

Hello darlin!!

You're really doing so well, I think Dale has great advice, go up a bit on the Traz, it won't be forever, only for now. You'll feel so much better when you're well rested.

Happy for you hik!!

Your friend,
Ash.

Hello my friends, I've been either too busy to update or too unfocused. I am getting more energy, but my sleep is still messed up even with the trazadone. It keeps me asleep for about 3 hrs then I'm wide awake. Has anyone else had this problem? I had to take imodium Sat, Tuesday and yesterday. I'm only taking the amount suggested on the bottle , but I feel drowsy when I take them. If I'm sitting I usually got right to sleep. I've read about how people take 100 to get high (not me). I'm not taking them for fun, that's for sure . I've started probiotics and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables to get my gut in check. I'm gonna take another break from the the imodium to see if the probiotics help. I sure don't want to get dependent on it . I hope everyone has a good day .

Hey Ashley, when I saw " hello darling " I thought of Conway Twitty , Haha.
How your day going ? I've felt near normal since Tuesday, so it looks like my life is returning . Thanks for checking up on us still battling the our demons.

Good weekend my friends , life is looking up for me . The worst is behind me finally and my life is slowly returning to normal. I returned to one of my favorite hobbies today and didn't force myself to do it . I was getting some of those OCD tendencies that make you want to do your job to the best of your abilities. I've missed those for the last 6 weeks . My leg strength is returning to normal levels also . It feels so good to be near normal again. I've had 3 good days so a gambling man would bet tomorrow will be good ( hopefully ) . Now I just need my sleep to come back and I'd be all set .

Oh that's so great to hear hik, I'm so happy for you I really am!! You've done a bang up job my friend, I wish you continued smooth sailing from here on out!!

Proud of you hik,
your friend,
Ash.

Good weekend my friends , life is looking up for me . The worst is behind me finally and my life is slowly returning to normal. I returned to one of my favorite hobbies today and didn't force myself to do it . I was getting some of those OCD tendencies that make you want to do your job to the best of your abilities. I've missed those for the last 6 weeks . My leg strength is returning to normal levels also . It feels so good to be near normal again. I've had 3 good days so a gambling man would bet tomorrow will be good ( hopefully ) . Now I just need my sleep to come back and I'd be all set .

Thank you Ashley. I'm not 100% , but a darkness has definitely lifted from my mind and body. I really surprised myself how well I've done . Over the last 39 days after i stopped the tramadol early in WD I only took one
on on about day 15 and learned that even one little pill can double WD symptoms the next day or two . Most definitely a learning experience .

Man I her you on that one hik, kind of like how I think on day 5 of wd's I thought it would be a great idea to have "a few" ; ) drinks. Set me back for days and I felt 10x worse for sure.

I'm happy for you my friend.
Ash.

early in WD I only took one
on on about day 15 and learned that even one little pill can double WD symptoms the next day or two . Most definitely a learning experience .

Hi hik,
How are things going for you the past few days. You mentioned you could finally see the light, and I'm hoping that wasn't your wife looking for something with a flashlight :)
If you follow in my steps, you'll start feeling better more often and faster in the next few weeks that at any time before. You'll start feeling like you are actually free of that drug's last grip. I am really impressed with how you stuck to this. It is so hard to do that, yet you did it. Doesn't it feel great!

"This morning as I was buttoning my shirt, a button fell off. After that, I picked up my briefcase, and the handle fell off. Then, I went to get into my car, and the door handle came off! Now I'm afraid to pee."
Your friend,
Dale

Dale , I'll do a quick update . Ive had a great weekend until my tick bite illness from last year caught me off guard. I caught alphagal from a lone star tick ( not Texas ) and now I have to only eat seafood and fowl . Long story short if I eat red meat I get extremely bad hives and itching like I'm in the Olympics. I accidentally ate some chicken pizza that had tiny bacon pieces on it and finally realized it on my 3rd peice.The bad part is that the only way to stop them is with corticosteroids. Most of you probably know the the terrible insomnia corticosteroids cause. Well, I had a horrible night. No sleep , return of my rls , angry mood and extreme hunger was my side effects. I'm better now but I dont know what's worse , the steroids or the hives. Its always like a balance scale when my hives come . I keep trying to hold off as long as possible then I cave and take the steroids.
Good night all and thanks for the support.
Ps Dale , never pee after touching poison ivy

Long story short if I eat red meat I get extremely bad hives and itching

Holy Cow hik: I'd never heard of Alphagal before reading your post. What a bummer you are having the RLS and loosing sleep again. That must be awful after starting to get past those symptoms.

Sorry you're having a "rash" of bad luck ;)
Dale

Happy to hear you enjoyed your weekend hik!!

Well that just sucks that the tick bite screwed it up in the way of eating beef!! Geesh!!

Are you feeling better today?

P.S,or never pee after just having cut up hot peppers. : (

Hugs,
Ash.

Dale , I'll do a quick update . Ive had a great weekend until my tick bite illness from last year caught me off guard. I caught alphagal from a lone star tick ( not Texas ) and now I have to only eat seafood and fowl . Long story short if I eat red meat I get extremely bad hives and itching like I'm in the Olympics. I accidentally ate some chicken pizza that had tiny bacon pieces on it and finally realized it on my 3rd peice.The bad part is that the only way to stop them is with corticosteroids. Most of you probably know the the terrible insomnia corticosteroids cause. Well, I had a horrible night. No sleep , return of my rls , angry mood and extreme hunger was my side effects. I'm better now but I dont know what's worse , the steroids or the hives. Its always like a balance scale when my hives come . I keep trying to hold off as long as possible then I cave and take the steroids.
Good night all and thanks for the support.
Ps Dale , never pee after touching poison ivy

P.S,or never pee after just having cut up hot peppers. : (
I made salsa once and was really careful to thoroughly wash my hands after handling jalapeno seeds, but when I went to pull out my contact lenses later that evening, this was the result:

Hahaha, yeah fuck that, some things call for gloves!! ; )

I made salsa once and was really careful to thoroughly wash my hands after handling jalapeno seeds, but when I went to pull out my contact lenses later that evening, this was the result: