• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Using tramadol to help get through methadone withdrawal

Hello my friends . I had a big day and little sleep last night . Tomorrow I'm calling dr to try trazodone. 3-4hrs of sleep just isn't cutting it. Got to vote today . My good friend is running for sheriff in our county so we have the AM radio on listening for results. I have watched some YouTube methadone detox videos that I wished I have not watched. One lady was 80 days clean from 150mg and was still in WD. I hope this doesn't happen to me. Then I read a blog with comments at the bottom and saw some horror stories about how long term methadone can permanently damage the brain. I'm going to try to think those are methadone trolls trying to keep sobriety from us . Heck , maybe it's the pharmaceutical companies discouraging us Have a good night friends.

Last edited:
People you hear from who really suffered like that getting off methadone either were prevented from doing so probably or were unable to for other reasons.

There is no reason some should be suffering like that 80 days clean, short of conditions preventing them from getting adequate support. Which, sadly, seems like our American norm.

Unfortunately the most vocal critics of methadone tend to be folks who weren’t able to transition off under appropriate circumstances. Their critique really has nothing to do with methadone, but everything to do with the conditions preventing them from getting the support they deserved when they needed it.

People you hear from who really suffered like that getting off methadone either were prevented from doing so probably or were unable to for other reasons.

There is no reason some should be suffering like that 80 days clean, short of conditions preventing them from getting adequate support. Which, sadly, seems like our American norm.

Unfortunately the most vocal critics of methadone tend to be folks who weren’t able to transition off under appropriate circumstances. Their critique really has nothing to do with methadone, but everything to do with the conditions preventing them from getting the support they deserved when they needed it.

Toothpastedog, most were users that ct'ed from very high doses. Some on the blog were just angry/jealous individuals that cant exept the fact of others cleaning up because they cant clean themselves up. For every 3 or 4 positive experiences there was 1 negative Nancy that was saying "your on it for life". Makes me glad I chose Sober Living as my support group.

hik- I heard the same thing - that once a person was on methadone a while, their brain changed and was never the same. We can't really know if the people writing about brain changes had also taken other drugs or have some psychiatric issue(s).

I know how you are feeling hik - I remember being at the same point you are where I had been thinking seriously that my head would not go back to normal. I'd have a good half day, then I'd feel like crap. I'd sleep better one night, then not the next two nights. My symptoms seemed like they were lasting too long for me to ever feel normal again, and for a while I seriously doubted I'd feel 100% again. I felt like my life was out of my control, like there was nothing I could do to feel better. Here I am now feeling good - feeling as though I never took any narcotic. Let mine be the story you believe - I told it like it was day after day, and I wrote it with the intent to help others like you. There is no hidden agenda in my thread. Those withdrawals go so damn slow early on, but they do go away. My last withdrawal symptoms to go away were the cold feeling and sneezing. The cold feeling gradually gets weaker and weaker until one day you realize you aren't feeling it at all anymore.

You are going to get through this, and I absolutely believe that you will be doing just fine when you are done. Keep thinking forward and get through each day the best you can. This is a long withdrawal, but it does end.

Try not to think about how long it's taking, but instead just think about "today" each day and hope that the next day will be better. You'll feel better if you sleep every night, so please get the Trazodone and ask for 150mg once a day at bedtime. You can take half that much and try it if you are leery of it, then increase it if half doesn't work. "Trazodone" sounds like some kind of bad addictive drug, but it's not a narcotic and it won't cause withdrawals to drag on longer. It will just help you sleep so that you feel better during the day.

"Why do they call it beauty sleep when I always wake up looking like a troll?" :)
Your friend,
Dale

Last edited:
^^^^^ more inspiration from the man , thanks Dale .Last night I took 0.1mg of clonidine bp med to calm my body down . I got about 5 hrs of sleep. It causes weakness so I'm sure today I'll be worthless ,but it's nice to be able to sit still . I highly recommend any one about to quit opiates to get clonidine. It most definitely takes the edge off.

Right on guys. I’m glad you’re both here. You’re both role models in this :)

hfs, have you tried high dose vitamin c (the calcium or sodium version)? Something like trazadone sounds like a great choice to help with this, but you might find the vitamin c thing helpful. I don’t know how helpful it’ll be, but it may be worth trying.

Likewise, maybe you could try melatonin for sleep help as you continue adjusting to life post methadone?

^^^^^ I'll check into the vitamin c. My dr just called in the trazodone. I've used melatonin before and I believe I still have some from a couple years ago. Thanks for the advice.

Exactly hik,It always seems to be the people with an axe to grind posting, misery does love company.We are glad you are in Sober Living too, you're a wonderful person with a fantastic attitude. Keep up your amazing quit my friend!!Hugs,Ash.
Toothpastedog, most were users that ct'ed from very high doses. Some on the blog were just angry/jealous individuals that cant exept the fact of others cleaning up because they cant clean themselves up. For every 3 or 4 positive experiences there was 1 negative Nancy that was saying "your on it for life". Makes me glad I chose Sober Living as my support group.

No problem hfs <3

The little things can make a very big difference. You’ll feel so much better once you start getting full night’s sleep again. There will always be new challenges of course, but a good night’s sleep is so important.

P.s. try not to forget about eating fiber. Also helps the body get back to normal :)

TPD Advised:
try not to forget about eating fiber.

Fiber is absolutely necessary for good health, but during withdrawals there can be too much of a good thing - so I've included a handy chart (below) for those who may need to consult it :)

2emd4wh.jpg

:) Dale

TPD Advised:

Fiber is absolutely necessary for good health, but during withdrawals there can be too much of a good thing - so I've included a handy chart (below) for those who may need to consult it :)

2emd4wh.jpg

That is funny right there. All I can say is thank God for imodium during WDs . The shart one does bring back some pretty bad memories from week or so ago.

I took my trazodone last night . My dr gave me 50mg 1-2 at bedtime. I took 100mg and it does work. I have a slight hangover, but my rls is gone . I had good dreams ( REM ) and slept about 8 hrs. I did toss and turn some , but not bad . Supposedly the morning grogginess will go away in about a week or two. Maybe by then my natural sleep will be returning

That's great to hear!!! Every day will get better, happy for you!!Hugs,Ash.
I took my trazodone last night . My dr gave me 50mg 1-2 at bedtime. I took 100mg and it does work. I have a slight hangover, but my rls is gone . I had good dreams ( REM ) and slept about 8 hrs. I did toss and turn some , but not bad . Supposedly the morning grogginess will go away in about a week or two. Maybe by then my natural sleep will be returning

Today I feel pretty good . Still not totally there yet , but getting there . Today is a big mile stone because it's my daughter's birthday and first time in her whole life I've been drug free. We are carrying the fam out for her birthday celebration ,then cake and ice cream afterwards at our house. I'm still weak , but I'm gaining some strength slowly. The trazodone is bombing me in the mornings .I'm gonna half my dose tonight to see how I feel in the AM

Last edited:
Good idea, hopefully that solves the morning issues. Have a great day and Happy Birthday to your lovely daughter Hik!!Hugs,Ash.
Today I feel pretty good . Still not totally there yet , but getting there . Today is a big mile stone because it's my daughter's birthday and first time in her whole life I've been drug free. We carrying the fam out for her birthday celebration ,then cake and ice cream afterwards at our house. I'm still weak , but I'm gaining some strength slowly. The trazodone is bombing me in the mornings .I'm gonna half my dose tonight to see how I feel in the AM

TPD Advised:

2emd4wh.jpg

Clarification is always a good thing :) thx for keeping it real Dale! <3

Speaking of which I really need to spend some money on new clothes... :\ ways of the junctional funky are strong with this one %)

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy bday to your daughter!

Last edited:
Bahaha Dale, classic, but even more hysterical is the "subtle" banana added for scale comment!!! Lmfao!!!Ash...
TPD Advised: Fiber is absolutely necessary for good health, but during withdrawals there can be too much of a good thing - so I've included a handy chart (below) for those who may need to consult it :)
2emd4wh.jpg

Hi hik and everyone following his thread...

Yeah, when people are in the deep of WD's, they really got to be on the alert for the farts with lumps in them. But if it happens, use chlorine bleach in your laundry when you wash your whities. (I read that somewhere :)

I'm glad you slept good last night hik. What a difference a good night of sleep makes eh? As far as waking up groggy, I'm guessing your brain just needs a little time to get used to the Trazodone. A word of advice: If you take 100mg of trazodone, then you cut back suddenly, you could have even more trouble sleeping. One dose shouldn't affect you that way, but it's something to keep in mind if you take this for a while (or if you can't sleep tonight). If I were you, I would not stop trazodone until you are three months clean. That way, you can slowly taper off it and not be dealing with any residual withdrawals at the same time.

I believe you are way past the 50% mark (congratulations!), but I think you still have some WD time left. It will be less and less noticeable as the next few weeks pass by. I hope you realize how much inner strength it took for you to get where you are now. You are setting a very positive example to the BL community. I know I speak for myself and many others when I say "We are so proud of you." This is a tough drug to kick - but you are doing it with class!

It's been proven that girls reach the age of puberty earlier than boys. Girls develop tits around the age of 13, boys around the age of 45 :)

Your friend,
Dale