Recruiting (Updated, now with survey option) How do you feel about algorithms analyzing your Bluelight data?

@Tronica that’s some pertinent info to what I was speaking of. Ill have my ideas written out soon.

Hello everyone,

Just last week we got approval from our IRB to include an optional email address field in the YouCanBookMe scheduling link. If you choose to list an email address, you will receive a confirmation email as well as a reminder on the day of the interview you scheduled. This email will also include the conference link. This minor change should make it a little easier to schedule and keep track of meetings.

If anybody is hesitant to signup because of any of the technical details (such as the Zoom software), please let me know. You don't need to turn on video or tell us any of your usernames (or anything personal about yourself), so please reach out if there are any concerns that we could possibly address.

Hello everyone,

Just last week we got approval from our IRB to include an optional email address field in the YouCanBookMe scheduling link. If you choose to list an email address, you will receive a confirmation email as well as a reminder on the day of the interview you scheduled. This email will also include the conference link. This minor change should make it a little easier to schedule and keep track of meetings.

If anybody is hesitant to signup because of any of the technical details (such as the Zoom software), please let me know. You don't need to turn on video or tell us any of your usernames (or anything personal about yourself), so please reach out if there are any concerns that we could possibly address.
Have you had good uptake?

Have you had good uptake?
We've only completed two so far - a few more signed up but didn't show, which I'm hoping can be addressed with the new email notifications. Haven't hear much in about two weeks though, maybe bumping this thread will help too!

We've only completed two so far - a few more signed up but didn't show, which I'm hoping can be addressed with the new email notifications. Haven't hear much in about two weeks though, maybe bumping this thread will help too!
It’s completely pointless in my completing this. I only participate on BL, not Reddit or any other forum. So…

Actually it's totally fine if you don't have a Reddit account or even tell us your BL username when signing up. We'll show you the results of the analysis on a random set of anonymous authors, and ask you about how such a system could affect you, others, and BL as a whole.

These interviews are not intended to give us more data, or to see how "correctly" our algorithm performed. As I see it, technologies like stylometric analysis are being developed and implemented with little focus on how they might affect anonymity online and communities which value and require privacy. This study is meant to address that gap and hopefully encourage future work in this area to take into consideration how these algorithms affect communities beyond the specific target of an analysis.

Actually it's totally fine if you don't have a Reddit account or even tell us your BL username when signing up. We'll show you the results of the analysis on a random set of anonymous authors, and ask you about how such a system could affect you, others, and BL as a whole.

These interviews are not intended to give us more data, or to see how "correctly" our algorithm performed. As I see it, technologies like stylometric analysis are being developed and implemented with little focus on how they might affect anonymity online and communities which value and require privacy. This study is meant to address that gap and hopefully encourage future work in this area to take into consideration how these algorithms affect communities beyond the specific target of an analysis.
Ok, I’ve booked! See ye Wednesday!

I participated in this study and I would encourage BL members who have an interest in their own anonymity on the internet to take part.

The interview is as anonymous as you want it to be. It doesn’t really take that long and it is an interesting conversation and something that we should all be considering. How identifiable we are online is not just down to us giving out private information but also down to our linguistic style.

It’s highly interesting in regards to what @Skeebs and his colleagues have put together.

I’m looking at users like @dalpat077 @andyturbo just off the top of my head.

Last edited:
@MsDiz .. did seeing your traceability worry you at all?
I have no traceability! 😂

However from what Patrick showed me it’s pretty accurate. Within time it will be tweaked to be even better and it’s definitely a worry.

People don’t realise how careful they need to be across all their social media accounts. How this kind of technology is only going to progress and whilst BL might not be somewhere the authorities are looking at now, I doubt it will stay that way.

That “Pics of your stash” thread might not be such a good idea to post in…

Have you completed it @neversickanymore ?

@MsDiz.. my internet posted fingerprint is so slight it would provide no useful data. Because of a sequencing irregularities I’m sure I would not be difficult to track.

My first novel is almost done, but given its content it’s pretty clear I’m comfortable with myself and entertain no fear of any control or surveillance powers. Fuck them.. If they don’t like me I don’t care and don’t want to be a part of them anyway including professionally.

Looking at how China is using technology to track identity and target individuals for anti state behavior it’s disheartening and the US does it only in a temporary covert way.. have to maintain appearance. So tech like this has very real oppressive applications and that’s scary.

The thing is that it’s happening and we as a global society need to be aware and respond in a positive way for our world.

Last edited:
@MsDiz.. my internet posted fingerprint is so slight it would provide no useful data. Because of a sequencing irregularities I’m sure I would not be difficult to track.

My first movel is almost done, but given its content it’s pretty clear I’m comfortable with myself and entertain no fear of any control or surveillance powers. Fuck them.. If they don’t like me I don’t care and want to be a part of them anyway professionally.

Looking at how China is using technology to track identity and target individuals for anti state behavior it’s disheartening and the US does it only in a temporary covert way.. have to maintain appearance. So tech like this has very real oppressive applications and that’s scary.

The thing is that it’s happening and we as a global society need to be aware and respond in a positive way for our world.
I also said the same in regards to my fingerprint but Patrick was asking questions such as to how participants feel it would impact a site like BL. Benefits/consequences etc.

You really don’t need to use your own alias. Patrick will show you what they’ve set up, it is very interesting and I think you would get a good perspective as to what the future is going to look like.

It does take a bit of time over a voice zoom call but again, it’s interesting enough to warrant it.

I participated in this study and I would encourage BL members who have an interest in their own anonymity on the internet to take part.

The interview is as anonymous as you want it to be. It doesn’t really take that long and it is an interesting conversation and something that we should all be considering. How identifiable we are online is not just down to us giving out private information but also down to our linguistic style.

It’s highly interesting in regards to what @Skeebs and his colleagues have put together.

I’m looking at users like @dalpat077 @andyturbo just off the top of my head.
I have no worries with this so consider me in!

Awesome Andy, I really do think it would interest you! You’d be able to understand the implications of it better than me also!
Thanks MsDiz I will get onto it right after breakfast! Appreciate the heads up!

Hi everyone,

I'm back again to try and get some more participants! This time, you'll receive a $25 USD Amazon gift card code upon completing the interview.

If you already completed an interview, please reach out to me so I can send you the gift card code.