• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Universal Credit - Anyone on it yet?

So, you're forced into applying for jobs you wouldn't want to do, that are impossible to get to, and probably wouldn't provide the income you hope for.?

If you don't apply for them your benefits will be sanctioned?

If you refuse to accept one of these jobs you've been forced to apply for, even for purely practical reasons, again, your benefits are sanctioned?

Would you not at the job interview highlight to the prospective employer that you'd be unlikely to ever make it into work on time for practical reasons, and so dodge getting an offer?

EDIT>>>>sorry replied to your post without seeing Shambles reply properly, yeah, as he says it's pretty easy to throw an interview especially if the job is so far from your home.

Yeh, that about sums it up.. As for throwing an interview on purpose, I just couldn't do it. Plus it could get back to the work program nazis which wouldn't go down too well.

Anyway, at my last interview, I'd had a Litre of cider for breakfast (just to calm the nerves), 100mg methadone then a 1/4 bottle of vodka on the way there. Breezed the interview and nearly got the bloody job!! One guy had a bit more relevant experience than I did - just as well cause I couldn't have got there anyway.

the disgusting refusal (by all parties) to build affordable housing has finally come to an ugly head

Dunno how disgusting it is BHM, Britain is a finite land space - hopefully one that can be shared by the natural wildlife in the country other than humans. Building another 10 million houses is the absolute last thing we should be doing in this country. The sustainable population for water and food in the UK is about 5 million - that's the direction we need to be heading in.

Would not 'accept the first job / get fired / rinse and repeat' not work?

^once you have a few dismissals on your CV then your not going to get employed anyway. You in theory would not be turning down any job offers as you would simply not get any?

Yeah don't take a shit in the coffee pot on day one but turn up late a few times, take a few Mondays off in a row (due to sickness) etc. You will soon get fired, next time stop showing up on a Friday (due to Sickness) etc.

^^

You arn't getting employed tho - you're being forced to work for someone for your dole money. If you don't behave the employer informs your dole office and you lose your benefits for 3 years. No skin off his nose. It's not as if it's cost him anything.

firstly, to my knowledge (mom worked in jc) ...if you are fired, you are not entitled to sign straight back on. though she's been retired for a while. blatantly throwing interview pretty much = getting fired

Dunno how disgusting it is BHM, Britain is a finite land space - hopefully one that can be shared by the natural wildlife in the country other than humans. Building another 10 million houses is the absolute last thing we should be doing in this country. The sustainable population for water and food in the UK is about 5 million - that's the direction we need to be heading in.

hey ismene.. i agree with you. dont want to bring a flamefest into the thread - but i'd much rather we have a neutral/slightly declining birthrate (as we did up until recently) and have space for open meadows for our threatened songbird and bee populations. but this is the knot the left has tied themselves into.. we cant protect greenbelt and provide for a million more people.. but look, we havent even begun innagurating this & we already are seeing the first shots of empathic warfare by those who would seek to sink the boat, figuratively and quite possibly literally as well

are people sleeping? how are these policies and procedures getting passed? i don't know what it is all about but it does seem to be a clear way of setting people up to fail in life making their existences miserable and breaking their spirit. What is the grand plan in all this? do they have people ready to move into the homes that they evict people from when they spend their rent? also, the bedroom tax. Is anyone paying it? it surely looks like something that will cost a fortune to administrate.

The entire country's sleepwalking into a disaster. In maybe 18 months I'm going to be administering Universal Credit and the simple fact is that the IT isn't in place to deliver and from the sound of it it's going top be a windows-based cloud system(-oh, pleeease)with security holes you could drive a tank through and more system down time than up time, and anyway no-one really has any idea how the whole shitpile's going to steam.

The entire country's sleepwalking into a disaster. In maybe 18 months I'm going to be administering Universal Credit and the simple fact is that the IT isn't in place to deliver and from the sound of it it's going top be a windows-based cloud system(-oh, pleeease)with security holes you could drive a tank through and more system down time than up time, and anyway no-one really has any idea how the whole shitpile's going to steam.

Yeh, sounds about par for the course 8)

Why do they need a new fucking IT system :? Surely one benefit is similar to another benefit in terms of processing - some set of criteria, a record of who's getting what, a payment system... it should just be some additional logic.

Why do they need a new fucking IT system :? Surely one benefit is similar to another benefit in terms of processing - some set of criteria, a record of who's getting what, a payment system... it should just be some additional logic.

Because obviously they will need to spend a fortune getting some consultants in to create a totally new database system.... ;)

^

the other lot arent any better, loved them some overpriced, superfluous consulting action - did labour

I did read a few months ago that the I.T guys working on the Universal Credit software had been told to down tools for the time being,I think Universal Credit is being slowly introduced around the country over the next few years.
If it's like the Universal Jobmatch site then it will be useless as that site has already been hit by spammers,false job offers and agencies using the site to mine for folks details and cv's.

Because the systems they use for other benefits are bespoke systems to deal specifically with what they deal with just now. They'd need a whole new system to deal with anything new. HMRC/DWP literally couldn't even correct a spelling mistake in the software that they use just now, never mind get it to deal with a totally different type of benefits.

I worked for HMRC way back when this first got announced. I said at the time that the systems would never be properly in place to deal with it & that it's guaranteed to be a massive disaster. Looks like I was right.

HMRC's computer systems are notoriously shite, I can't imagine the DWP's are much better. HMRC were still using the original computer system from when they first switched from paper tax records in the fucking 80s or something up until a few years ago.

That's pretty shocking. It's equivalent to having to develop a new word processor to write a love letter because your old word processor only does thank you letters. :\

This is politicunts we're talking about though, Knock. It's far more important to make sure the massive contract goes to the "right" people than it is to get a functioning system out of it. All governmental IT projects (whomsoever happens to be in power) are abysmal failures costing countless billions, never working, coming in billions over budget and years behind schedule and having to be regularly replaced cos they're shite to start off with and either utterly useless almost instantaneously or hopelessly outdated within moments of being switched on for the first time. I could design better IT systems ;)

All true IME. Worked for Housing Benefit when they introduced computers AND all the Thatcher Housing Act changes and boy was that a farce. Desperately trying to remember the name of the company involved but it was a long time ago. Needless to say we were using paper calculations etc for about two and a half years into the new system and it never ever got above being able to cope with the basics of the law.

Prepare for farce.

Yeah I'm not naive about government IT, I read about their failures in Private Eye all the time, I worked for EDS for a while and saw outsourced incompetence and inefficiency first hand. I've just never heard of something quite as ridiculous as having to build a new system for a new type of benefit.