• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Universal Credit - Anyone on it yet?

Not just for the taxpayer either. Bloody ridiculous idea for a benefits system. I really don't get what the point of fiddling about with it in this particular way is. Presumably the claim is that it's gonna cut down on beaurocratic costs. Doing well on that already then 8)

From some case studies I've seen online somewhere,it would appear that certain groups of people will end up worse off on Universal Credit and part time workers can be forced to try and find more hours to work etc.
That's if they can ever get it to work of course.

I haven't looked into the details at all yet. It's not like I get a say in it anyway - just gotta live with whatever happens. It's the fact they're gonna be including HB (and I think Council Tax Benefit?) payments in with the day to day living bit (ESA for me currently). That's gonna screw so many people up. I can't be trusted with rent money. I wouldn't trust myself with it at all. Not that I have any intentions of pissing it up the wall but I just don't trust myself to not screw it up at some point and end up homeless again. I'm more than sure I'm very far from alone in that concern too. What are they thinking?!?

Aren't they planning to make it monthly paid rather than every fortnight as they currently do.
I've read from a few folk who like yourself Shambles are concerned about having rent money go to them as they would rather it was paid to their landlord.
Budgeting will be another problem also for day to day spending.
We can hope that they decide to abandon the whole idea before anymore taxpayers money is wasted on it.

Oh yes, the monthly thing too, that's gonna be a complete nightmare. I don't know anybody who really manages to budget properly for a fortnight but at least it's never too long to wait for the next payment. Thankfully I'm nowhere near as bad as I have been until really very recently with cashmoney, but even so I don't like the idea of monthly budgeting at all. The temptation is always gonna be to nibble away at the money you'd never normally pass through your hands to do... well whatever it is you do with money. Whether to spend money you know damn well you shouldn't be on stuff you shouldn't be or just to make ends meet of a month.

It's not just druggy-types who I think are gonna struggle either - it could be argued many of us cause much of our own problems so tough titties if you screw up. Couldn't be argued by me but could by some, I'm sure. But what about people with various health issues? Many conditions would make it really hard to deal with money in that kinda detail. And it's not like everybody has somebody to help them out with that kinda thing (advice and stuff, I mean). Well they do, but not all know how to access it and the quality of such help is kinda patchy at the moment. Are the Tories also gonna do something to help out with the support and advice side of things or just leave folk to sink or swim? Oh I wonder...

I just thought,aren't benefits paid in arrears?
If so does that mean folk would have their last JSA,ESA payment made out to them and then have to wait a month until they receive the first Universal Credit payment?
If that is the case then I'd like to know how they will overcome that problem.
You are dead right Shambles regarding budgeting problems and also about folk with health issues.
I can't see the JCP suddenly having lots of time on their hands to try and help people with the change over to the new credit so can just hope that some charities etc will already be planning for this situation so they can get the help out to where and when it is needed.

I just thought,aren't benefits paid in arrears?

Yup. Hence me bumping this thread when the landlord wrote to tenants informing us we're gonna have to start paying rent up front from now whether on HB or not. Not all at once but start making installments so that (theoretically) we'll be a month in credit by the time this UC mess actually spills out to the wild. I don't hold out much hope. I'm hundreds in arrears - can't see how I'm gonna get a month in credit anytime soon. It's gonna take ~5-6y just to pay back the arrears at the rate they're currently taking it from my ESA :\

Hehe. Been years since I lived the kinda life I once lived but even just t'other day when I got to thinking about this new benefit system my very first thought was "Ooh! If I got an oz of gear (my bulk price knowledge is a lil out of date ;)) and turned it over I'd make a killing given I don't use myself anymore. Could clear all that debt, get in credit, still have money left over...". Not as in serious thought but it is the instant reaction of any addict I know when presented with a lump sum. Gonna be a mess when this thing happens.