• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC)

Some guys just enjoy watching 2 guys grind on each other for 15 to 25 minutes in a cage. *shrugs*

Maybe what turns off some people from WMMA is that the women are not as powerful or technically proficient as many of the men. The first part will likely remain true at least at the more competitive divisions (135 and below). The second part is fast becoming non-existent. Just 5 years ago, watching WMMA was just okay with me because unless there was a quick KO or sub, it was a lot of unwatchable match ups because the training for women in MMA just was not there. That is no longer true though. Men and women train right along side each other if not with each other now. The men are established and the women know they have to be better in order to remain relevant and this has actually changed part of the landscape of MMA. As I posted earlier, the women have been more exciting than the men for the most part over the past couple of years. Another proof of this is the ratings from this past season of TUF. On the weeks that women were fighting, those shows had higher audiences than the men's. In a couple of weeks, Rousey fights again as the headliner for UFC 170. This will be yet another barometer for WMMA. I read on Bloody Elbow (MMA site) that anywhere north of ~400k buys for this PPV will mean Rousey is a success. But even if the PPV does not achieve that many buys, it does not mean WMMA has ruined MMA forever. That is just BS and an entitled opinion.

I like the fact that while the men are all about being good sports and often appear like friends sparring together, the women don't like one another. This makes it that much more exciting rooting for (one of) them. I don't know if this is actually true or if the UFC is controlling this for ratings, but I like to hope it is the former.

Hey Wylde, try to be a little more concise next time. It's pretty hard to go through your posts without paragraphs or any splits in your writing. No flaming, I'm just saying that it would help us understand what you are trying to articulate.

Hey Wylde, try to be a little more concise next time. It's pretty hard to go through your posts without paragraphs or any splits in your writing. No flaming, I'm just saying that it would help us understand what you are trying to articulate.
I dont take it as flaming, no worries.

Maybe you'd prefer this better?
  • WMMA ruining MMA is just an opinion
  • Rousey's drawing power will be tested at UFC 170
  • Last season's TUF ratings were better during the women's fight weeks
  • The skill of women fighters are quickly catching up to the men likely because 1) there are more women training now and 2) women & men are training together
  • No one wants to watch Cyborg squash other ladies
Is that better you lazy bum? (Not flaming! :p)

im actually really looking forward to tonight's event. im at least semi-interested in every fight besides Rodrigo Damm vs Ivan Jorge.

Huge fan of Iuri Alcantara and his younger brother Ildemar, and both of them are fighting on the prelims.

And Jacare vs Carmont should be sick. I'm thinking Carmont will gas and Jacare will finish him in round 2 or 3. But wouldnt be too shocked if Carmont were to pull off the upset.

^ Carmont defended well considering Souza's bjj pedigree but he just doesnt do enough on his feet when given the chance like in the 2nd round. I'm glad he finally lost because he has not been very entertaining and his "wins" felt gifted especially against Lorenz Larkin. Souza's striking is very good but he needs to develop a jab for those times when he is facing a skilled striker such as Carmont. He seemed ordinary in round 2.

Next up...WMMA h8rade or what we know as UFC 170.

yeah I thought Carmont lost to Larkin and Lawlor.

this next UFC is pretty bad. I mean I'm not a fan of the women's fights but even if I was it still wouldnt be good with Cormier vs Cummins as the co-main event.

Zach Makovsky is such a good fighter.

Man, the UFC couldn't have come on a better day. I had a terrible day, watching this on the big screen all night is the best anti-depressant available.

Anyone else wondering what's going on with Herb Dean these days? First the Faber stoppage at 169, then TJ Walberger last night and McMann was a bit early. The guy seems a bit off the ball lately.

All the main refs are pretty awful, including Herb Dean. He just messes up less than the other main refs, but i still think he's pretty overrated. These past two just happened to be main events though.

I miss Josh Rosenthal. That guy was the best imo, but he was charged with conspiracy to manufacture and distribute marijuana and isn't gonna be back im sure.

Leon Roberts is another underrated ref. Don't think I ever remember the guy messing up.

worst ref is probably Yves Lavigne, but yamasaki and miragliotta are pretty close.

^ until Kizer is replaced, maybe?

How about that "one trick pony" Ronda Rousey? 1st round TKO!

anyone see Dong Hyun Kim's sick KO last saturday?

John_Hathaway_vs._Dong_Hyun_Kim_ktfo.gif

Luckily I had or I'd be pretty pissed at you right now
NSFW:
:p

Great KO though

if there's an event you havent watched yet that you still plan on watching idk why you would ever open this thread until doing so.

The older I get, my interest in MMA wanes every year. I'm starting to revert back to straight grappling and striking as far as my combat sport interests go.
Has anyone else noticed this? Or maybe it's just the new guard of UFC fighters.
I really miss the days of the WEC to be honest with you guys.

When you compare older eras of MMA like WEC and Pride and even some Strikeforce, in terms of sheer entertainment anyway, it does seem to be lacking these days on "the big show". I feel like we're lucky to get a really solid card, most are pretty average bar maybe a fight or two.

I can't put my finger on why this is.

When you compare older eras of MMA like WEC and Pride and even some Strikeforce, in terms of sheer entertainment anyway, it does seem to be lacking these days on "the big show". I feel like we're lucky to get a really solid card, most are pretty average bar maybe a fight or two.

I can't put my finger on why this is.

I don't think that's the case when you look at the very best fights.

For example, Diego vs Melendez was one of the best fights I've ever seen, Jones vs Gustaffson was amazing, Chandler vs Alvarez 2, Varner vs Trujillo, and many others I can't remember right now have been recent fights which have been just as good as a lot of older fights.

The best fights are just really dispersed throughout different cards and you may not have one card with all amazing fights but I don't think MMA is less interesting or less exciting than it used to be.