• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Trouble Peeing on Opiates: Urinary retention issues Q&A Megathread

i have problems urinating on as little as 1mg SL daily, also on 2mg SL every other day if i switch it up. the problems last 24/7.

Haha this thread is hilarious(not for you of course)! I never had a problem peeing but a friend of mine always does when he's on tar...haha. He trips out too because he needs to f*cking pee but he says it wont come out :D lol

I think the problem is made much worse with anxiety if you happen to worry about peeing on opiates. when I lived in Ottawa not only did we have to pee on opiates to get our methadone, but we had to pee on camera. humiliating. I almost got cut off many times for being unable, even with about 6 pints of water in me.

the peeing gets easier. when I used to chip on morphine it was a problem (a 20 hour, oh my god my kidneys are gonna blow like a tire problem). making things worse was the fact that my mouth'd be dry but I'd be worried about drinking too much. when I got used to [= addicted to] the drug it got to be no problem.

here are the tricks I've learned:

-if you can't pee in the toilet and you're male, take a break and see if you can piss in the sink. it sounds odd, I know, and obviously clean that sink after. or if you're male or female try peeing outside--the point is to go somewhere you don't associate with peeing so that there's less anxiety

-try running a finger lightly around the small of your back

-when I had to pee at the ottawa clinic I'd sit down, having had a whack of water, and count down from five with each breath telling yourself that when you get to zero the dam will open. when you get to zero visualize the dam opening, maybe with some imagined sounds to accompany. crazy as it sounds, I imagined a buzzer like an alarm clock as the dam opened. also I'd try to focus on something in the room like the baseboards

when on suboxone, unless I'm on a super high dose, it's difficult, but my bathroom trips only take 5 minutes max

on heroin, it's a whole other story. there have been times I've been ready for bed, and I know I can't sleep with all that pressure in my bladder, so I try to piss and wake up 6 hours later with a neck-ache from nodding out

some things I find that help me (I'm a guy):

sit down and get a hair dryer and put it on the low setting. keep it about a foot and a half away from you and alternate between blowing on your lower stomach (bladder), balls, and when it gets too hot, just blow it on your feet. for some reason it makes it easier to start peeing, which many of us know is the hardest part. from there it's cake

alternate between sitting down and standing up. when you've been sitting down for a good 10 minutes, stand up and give it a shot (and if you are too fucked up to stand straight, put your hand up on the wall to balance). alternating seems to cut down a lot of time for me

when i was taking suboxone in the past(about 0.5mg's) I had MAJOR constipation issues. Some of you who knew me back then(I havent been on BL in a few months) may remember that I went to the hospital for HORRID back pain(which turned out to be a spinal infection from using dirty water for IV drug use) but the doctors failed to notice the spinal problem, but instead, they discovered a mass of shit in my bowels which weighed several pounds.

And long story short, I ended up having to take HUUUGE amounts of laxatives and stool softeners....and nothing happened still....and then I had to go BACK to the hospital where they gave me a big ass enema and then 5 minutes later, I almolst completely filled the toilet with shit backed up from weeks before.(No joke).

I guess Im telling this as a warning to those who take suboxone because I NEVER had any problems shitting with other opiates(and ive done them all it seems).

Also....since we discovered the major infection in my lower spine, I have been taking 200mcg/hr of fentanyl along with 8mg's of dilaudid every 4 hrs. I can shit fine....but the problem is that im still in so much pain that I can almost never eat. seriously. I only eat solid foods once every couple weeks. I just drink Ensure's the rest of the time. So, I have to pee alot...but the massive doses of fentanyl im on make it close to impossible for me to urinate.

I spend an average of 45-60 minutes a day sitting/standing trying to piss.....and thats just TRYING to piss.....not actually pissing. Most the time I just give up and go on with my day until I just cant take it anymore and then I just sit it out until it just has to come out.

Sry for the long post but I thought it was relevant to the issue at hand in this thread....and its been soooo long since I have been on BL I have alot of typing to make up for.

I posted this somewhere else, that thread got merged but I figured I'd put my post here; mods feel free to move if necessary but I'm just putting what worked for me:

after finding the thread about urinary retention, I closed the window and couldn't find it again! maybe i'm still feeling hazy from the morningwakeup bang

I dont know if this exact method has been posted here already, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to re-post (what does hurt, is not being able to enjoy normal bodily functions - ahh opiates)

2 things:

- this method is specific to peeing
- also, this method is specific to being a guy (sorry ladies can't help ya here)

recently, after a couple days of the , "will I ever piss again?" feeling , and trying all the different methods already posted, I stumbled upon a pretty decent method to get it all out:

*this method is no exact science, everyone should mess around with it and find what works for you:

take one hand ( don't think it matters too much, except for maybe stability/ grip strength's sake - go with your uh ... dominant hand in this situation and wrap it around the base of your penis like you're about to choke the chicken, make sure you have a nice firm grip

foreskin or not, peel it back until the red rocket is ready for takeoff!

* I find that this next step does tend to help greatly - run a lil water and get that hand nice and moist/wet, if you feel like it helps;
like I said, different strokes * literally * for different folks

while maintaining a firm grip, NOT an overly tight one, use the palm of your other hand, still sufficiently moist, and RUB, in a circular/ back and forth motion at varying speeds to directly stimulate the very tip/urethra - if done correctly (and like I said, experiment b/c it'll differ from one guy to another) you should finally feel the nice, almost overwhelming urge to piss; the feeling is much like a great blowjob that directly stimulates the most sensitive part of your one-eyed monster, just the tip. LET THE FLOODGATES OPEN! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

oh and be sure to relax as much as you can, don't hold your breath or freak out or force it - now once you get it started, however ...

who would have thought being able to take a piss again would feel SO DAMN GOOD?!

I had way too much fun writing this, but then again I just experienced a WORLD OF RELIEF

Hell yea i hate standing in the urinals when i cant pee and like 2 people will have pissed and left by time i get it all out ha!

Haha. I came here from another thread on the same subject that was closed. I had a HORRIBLE time trying to pee when I was doing H daily (in the 90's). I had a pretty pricey habit going, and was barely getting a buzz from a 1gram shot, (not easy to get a whole gram into one UI-100, often had to take it in 2 shots) but I would then drink beer like a madman, and had a HELL of a time peeing, even with all the beer pressure in my bladder. Funny thing is, no other opiate has ever affected me that way. Methadone never did this to me, nor did bupe, or hydrocone or codiene or dilaudids or any others that im forgetting at the moment . I wonder why it was only heroin that caused this for me, while others have this problem even with the "lighter opioids" ?

I made the recent thread about this and I was directed to this topic but I have to say after reading this thread I am still concerened because it seems people on opiates have problems initiating peeing, I however have additional problems with maintaining the pee after it starts.

Most of this topic sounds like people cant get started on peeing but once they do its all good but with me once I start I experience even more problems because I keep getting all these spasms and contractions in my bladder which become painful and it makes the pee cut off dead in its tracks , i then have to just try and work through the contractions, apply force and relax muscles, basically the whole pee function requires manual attention to complete rather then automatically taking over like it should, Is this still normal reaction for peeing on opiates?

^ It is definitely difficult to maintain flow, so it's not like I'm set once I start. It is so easy to tense up once I start, likely because I know that if I do I have to start all over again.

euch, i hate this.

try sitting down and starting at, say 100, and count backwards in 3's. it helps by stopping you thinking about pissing. keep going throughout the micturation and it should help with the start/stopping/start/stopping.

Heroin & not being able to pass urine

Anybody know why when you have good quality heroin it's really hard to go for a wee?

I have noticed this alot but not every time I have some gear, the last few bags I have smoked it's been really hard to pass urine & have to really focus on what feels like my prostate for some reason to make me able to go.
Even when I do it comes in really short bursts & takes me upto 3 mins to finish off.

Anyone know why & can it do you harm in the long run?

thanks

it's urinary retention from the heroin. i get it pretty bad from morphine sometimes. i find if i drink more liquids it makes urination easier. ymmv,

chronic urinary retention can cause harm in the long run. to the bladder. have a search around for symptoms and problems associated.

only other solution is waiting until the effects subside and you're able to pee with ease.

it's urinary retention from the heroin. i get it pretty bad from morphine sometimes. i find if i drink more liquids it makes urination easier. ymmv,

chronic urinary retention can cause harm in the long run. to the bladder. have a search around for symptoms and problems associated.

only other solution is waiting until the effects subside and you're able to pee with ease.

Not all my mates have it but I have come across a few that have it as bad as I do, it drives me mad like last night I was all warm in bed & really on the nod but needed to go.
I was in the bathroom naked freezing in the cold waiting to finish having a wee, took me a good few mins to finish off :(