View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

'Treasure Coast' WTF?

SunriseChampion

Bluelighter
I recently acquired some 'Treasure Coast' mushrooms which are a strain of P. cubensis after previously living off 'Golden Teachers' for the last year and a half.

So I'm no expert in mycology (I'm just some guy) but I was under the impression that the range of active alkaloids between different strains of P. cubensis was fairly restricted.

However........

...last weekend, I made a pot of tea for me and two mates using ~3g of mushroom (I always eye out my tea doses...best of luck ;) ) after an afternoon of drinking pints at High Park. Upon onset, I was struck by how strong the effects were for what should have been a very mild dose.

Now, last night, I made another pot of tea, this time for just two of us and using less mushroom (~1.5g). You'd think after two cups (about two-thirds of pot, divided between the two of us) the effects would be beyond mild. Not so much. Quite intense relationship with the music we were listening to ensued, not to mention the pretty serious CEVs.

So what's with this strain? What combination of alkaloids does it contain in what concentrations to make it seem about twice as potent as 'Golden Teachers'?
Anyone have any experiences with this strain and can confirm I'm not just imagining things?

It's probably more to do with just the potency of this strain, rather than its particular mixture of alkaloids. I don't know the strain at all myself, but the % of psilocybin content can vary by quite a bit in mushrooms, even between different batches of the same strain.

Treasure Coast are known as US strongest native. Are you growing yourself? What media? Huatlah was my fav strain, and after trial and error I got media just right. All the info showed 4to 5 grams dried as good starter dose for me. ( 6.1/ 200). Shit, 2.5 was nearly unpleasant.
Cocoa coir, horse manure( old/ dried) limestone and egg shells. Heavy Verm/perlite, and a mono tub. 2to 5 ratio mycelium to media, less time for media contam. Verm/brf/ gypsum casing.
Almost replicated correct media for pan cyans, which is difficult. Got it to pin, but never flush. Ran out of time.

I remember having some P. cyanescens that were crazy potent at one point. I guess they don't get grown commercially as much because they aren't as productive as cubensis, but man those pack a punch. Cool you tried growing them @wudbutcher

Are you growing yourself?

Nah, I've never grown my own. I'm too fucking lazy for most things I can pay someone else to do for me. I work full time in construction and am a very productive contributor to society, building homes and all, so I just draw the line at exercise. Lazy/not lazy, if you know what I mean.

I'd like to maybe one day, I don't have the space for it right now though.

I know the guy who grew them though....was wondering why his price was a ridiculous 30% higher than my normal source. Now I know. At 30% higher cost, given the potency, it's actually a good deal after all.

Nah, I've never grown my own. I'm too fucking lazy for most things I can pay someone else to do for me. I work full time in construction and am a very productive contributor to society, building homes and all, so I just draw the line at exercise. Lazy/not lazy, if you know what I mean.

I know the guy who grew them though....was wondering why his price was a ridiculous 30% higher than my normal source. Now I know. At 30% higher cost, given the potency, it's actually a good deal after all.
It’s easy as fuck man, and rewarding. 8 sq ft. No fancy lights. I’m a GC( bags on ocd type) and about 6 hrs/ month once ya get rollin you’ll harvest( not A Big Mac , McDonald’s OTHER. Burger) every month. Fun as fuck. Hit your boy up for a spore print while he’s got em. Put it in a book til you ready to try.

I remember having some P. cyanescens that were crazy potent at one point. I guess they don't get grown commercially as much because they aren't as productive as cubensis, but man those pack a punch. Cool you tried growing them @wudbutcher
Main reason is media unavailability in the states. Trying to replicate water buffalo and elephant shit is a bitch. Grew weed for decades, mycelium manipulation much cooler imo

Mushrooms are stupid easy to grow, many times easier than weed, and unless you tell people, no one will ever know.

Mushrooms are stupid easy to grow, many times easier than weed, and unless you tell people, no one will ever know.
Once you figure out contam prevention, not so bad. But weed easiest. Good strain, light let her rip

Weed is quite easy to grow in a sense, but it's so much harder to hide, and requires a lot more effort throughout the life cycle of the plant, IME. Contamination in the early stages is the hard part of mushrooms, other than that they're super easy.

Weed is quite easy to grow in a sense, but it's so much harder to hide, and requires a lot more effort throughout the life cycle of the plant, IME. Contamination in the early stages is the hard part of mushrooms, other than that they're super easy.
Right on. What I loved about growin weed, the whole cat and mouse shit. Saying used to be grow three patches, one for thieves, one for cops and one for harvest. ( I’ve never grown two plants closer than 50 yds apart lol) GORILLA

I've never grown outdoors, only indoors. I'm sure outdoors requires less work. Indoor weed, you have to attend to it very closely every day and have an elaborate setup and a lot of equipment.

I've never grown outdoors, only indoors. I'm sure outdoors requires less work. Indoor weed, you have to attend to it very closely every day and have an elaborate setup and a lot of equipment.
I had a bud grew indoors made him a nervous wreck lol. I couldnt do it. Start em inside so that after last frost only girls and healthy. Usually clones or fem stock

Growing mushrooms scales like crazy when you figure it out. When I tried my hand at it ages ago, at first we had a lot of contam and had to throw everything out all the time. We didn't give up though, and really focused on sterile technique, and started getting some success. Once we dialed in the right humidity and temperatures, and then moved onto larger batches using manure as medium.. holy smokes production was off the charts. It seems like there's a real sweet spot with mushrooms, and when you nail it, it's like 10x as productive. And then when you move that sweet spot onto a larger medium, you get 100x. It was easy to imagine taking the next step to get 1000x the productivity.

It's not so much a lucrative industry like weed though because people don't take mushrooms chronically. Well, people are starting to microdose but not sure many people actually stick to it long term. It's more like an effort, and used in such tiny amounts, whereas potheads smoke habitually and need more and more.

Mushrooms were legal in the UK until 2005, the batch of cubensis I bought in a store was so much weaker than the batch of cubensis I ended up growing myself. Potency can vary a wild amount!

Oh yeah I remember visiting London in about 2004 and being shocked to see that headshops were selling mushrooms openly. I remember they had to be live to be legal - if they were dried they were considered processed under the law, and illegal. I think the rationale was that you shouldn't be breaking any laws for having them accidentally grow on your lawn etc. So all these headshops had mushrooms on sale, refrigerated in little plastic vials etc.

The next time I visited, the laws had changed and they were all gone sadly. Today the UK has terrible draconian laws around recreational drugs.

I remember hearing that mushrooms were legal in Japan too, not sure the situation today.

Yep that's right, the legal loop hole was that as long as they were fresh they were legal to sell as they hadn't been prepared for consumption. Which makes no sense :D

My friends and I would buy them when we were 16 years old, they'd ask for ID and we'd simply say 'we've done them before', then they'd sell them to us. It's not like it was a legal requirement to be 18 to buy them so....kind of irresponsible really.

Even after they were officially banned, you could still buy them hush hush from some stalls in Camden market but I doubt that's the case anymore.

AFAIK Japan got rid of their mushrooms as well as all the psychedelic RCs that were on offer around a similar time.

Well now mushrooms have been legalized (maybe just medicinally?) in Colorado, and DC I believe. In Canada they're being sold fairly openly in certain online shops and on the ground too a little bit, without repercussions. So it might not be that long before things start swinging around. It seems like there's a lot of ground to cover in the UK currently, but sometimes things can change very quickly.

Hmm I'd almost bet money on recreational MDMA being legalized in the UK within the next two decades. Doing positive visualizations to imagine David Nutt in charge of drug policy.. lol.💗

I don't think mushrooms are like, legal legalized down in the states, more accurately they are decriminalized. So you're not going to be able to set up a stall at a farmers' market and start selling Penis Envy and Golden Teachers and what not, but on the other hand, if you get busted with a bag of mushrooms on you, the worst you're likely to have happen is your shrooms being confiscated, and possibly a violation ticket (think parking ticket) - rather than ending up in jail.