• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

The whole point behind the Roman Catholic church

And why are Oriental far East Asians so big into worshipping Buddha??

I have relations there and they do not worship Buddha. They respect his words and his knowledge and wisdom seeking ways.

They see him as a man to emulate. Not a god who needs adoration.

Regards
DL

It's possible the Romans crucified Jesus to make an example of him to the rest of the Jews in order to discourage Jewish nationalism. It didn't work. The Jews proclaimed a Messiah (later to be proven false) and revolted anyway. The Romans eventually sacked Jerusalem and banned Jews from living in Judea (hence the false messiah).

The decision to kill Jesus was on the Jews. Rome washed their hands of it remember, while the Jews said it was on them.

Jesus wanted to test the messianic myth and failed to return to rule the Jews. That is why most Jews rejected Jesus. They at least gave him his chance.

To them, when Jesus did not rise and return in three days to lead them, proved he was just another suicidal guy with visions of grandeur.

Regards
DL

A lot of ppl ae only religious because they feel obliged to be.

True.

Sheeple will be sheeple.

They put their tribal affiliations ahead of their moral sense. I am talking more of the right wing than the left here.

The right does the same in politics. I remember many saying they would vote for Trump while holding their noses. They wanted to win and to hell with the vile morals of their candidate.

Sheeple will be sheeple and that is why immoral people work so hard to keep them ignorant and not too bright.

Regards
DL

I'm not Catholic or any other main set religion / faith but there is something very special for me & I'm drawn to The Virgin of Guadalupe & Mary Magdalene for some reason.
Too many people want to point their finger at faith & say "I was a kid in this faith & it is horrible" etc which in my view is kinda dumb.

Why?

What do you find good and compelling in the worship of a genocidal god whose church denies women and gays equality with their homophobic and misogynous teachings.

Regards
DL

Yeah it's tradition, people are born and raised into the belief system and the belief system teaches you that it's crucial to be a believer. Kids pretty much believe as they're told until they get older. The way you're raised shapes your thought process dramatically. As adults it's possible to change but the likelihood of changing depends on the severity of the belief system. I was raised Christian and my mom is religious to this day, but I was never forced into it, I was always told I had to go to church when I was young but that when I was older it would be my decision what to believe. So it was easy to move away from it for me.

To the point of abuse.

Brain Washing ( Jesus Camp ''Highlights'' )

Regards
DL

I got to admit, when as a kid on a field trip to a Catholic church I was surprised by the idol worship. There was something to do with candles around the Virgin Mary statuette and I think there were even rules for the candles varying by saints as well

Sorry I don't recall the terminology but I do remember it seemed way different than anything I'd been used to. I think this just proves that Christianity isn't even a religion. Of course that's my opinion though ;)

It's quite possible nobody even knows what I'm talking about

come on. candles lit in front of Mary does not equate to idol worship. There is no idol worship in the catholic church though we do pray to saints sometimes for intercession.

there are superstitious offshoots, Mary worship cults, Santeria, etc. but these are condemned by the church.

come on. candles lit in front of Mary does not equate to idol worship. There is no idol worship in the catholic church though we do pray to saints sometimes for intercession.

there are superstitious offshoots, Mary worship cults, Santeria, etc. but these are condemned by the church.

You do not idolize Jesus? He is not your hero?

Regards
DL

I don’t worship a statue, but Jesus Himself.

Jesus himself is just a mental picture you have created in your own mind. That is idol worship, which has you breaking the first commandment as you are putting Jesus above Yahweh.

Jesus said to seek god. Not idol worship your ideas of what Jesus was.

That aside, why would you worship Jesus, given that some of his moral tenets are not moral at all?

I have quite a list of those but my largest pet peeves are his no divorce and substitutional punishment policies.

Most Christians are moral cowards and just run from discussing Jesus' poor moral sense.

Are you game?

Regards
DL

Make no mistake, a woman came up to the Virgin Mary statue and kneeled down with candles around it

She was praying out loud (whispering) to the statue and it struck me as different from what I was used to seeing. I didn't say it was wrong, but right then I knew that Christianity wasn't some kind of unified religion

There's also a kind of blessing you can leave for the saints but again I don't remember how it works when in church

Self-delusion?
People are scared of death and that it's just nothingness after people die so they cling to religion as a comfort blanket. It not nice when loved one's are dying so they fool themselves that they're "going to a better place" rather than just not being anymore.

This reminds me of the other day: this woman was like "so if you're an atheist and don't believe you'll go to hell for doing bad things...why don't you just go around doing all the raping and violence you want?"
I was like: "I do"
She was like o_0
And I was like "I DO do all the raping and violence I want...which is zero..."

You can easily argue that atheist are BETTER people. Religious people do good things because they're scared of Gods wrath and going to Hell if they don't. I do good things because I'm a good person, not out of fear or for some personal gain in the afterlife.

The child molester thing is a little ironic given the nature of Catholic priests lol
Lymric:
There was an old Priest from Hastings
Who taught about religious things
But his real desire?
The boy in the choir
With an arse like jelly on springs
YOU FROM HASTINGS? fuck my caps locks been on for ages lol uh oh 4:30 in the morning sheeeeeeeeeeeeet and FUCK CHRISTIANS ADN THE LORD ALL THAT BIBLE BULLSHIT I WANTED TO PUNCH THAT BITCH IN THE FACE

Make no mistake, a woman came up to the Virgin Mary statue and kneeled down with candles around it

She was praying out loud (whispering) to the statue

oh sure, that is common. praying is not worship. Yes, you can pray to saints for help, but that is very different from worshiping them as a god.

Intercession. ;) I just remembered that. I couldn't figure out how intercession could be achieved between the Virgin Mary and others though, as she wasn't a saint was she?