• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The Official NFL 2005 Season Thread

Rollin_to_Oakenfold said:
I am sorry to rain on your parade Axl, but I gotta tell ya something .....

The Growl is back in the Jungle. I am being completely realistic saying this, the Bengals are going to win the AFC North. I cannot wait for this season to start! "Who-Dey, Who-Dey Who-Dey Think They Gonna Beat D'em Bengals!"

The Colts and Pats are still going to be good. The Falcons are going to make a run, and the Eagles might if TO would quit being a bitch.

And just to let everyone know, the first Bengals preseason game is this Friday ;) haha.

Ummm...I like the Bengals too, but I think even a wild card would be a huge achievement. One step at a time...they are the BENGALS. ;)

Holy shit. Anyone else just see the ESPN interview with TO and his agent? Crazy.

TO does not GIVE A FUCK.

I have never seen a player so blatently disgrace his own team. Good luck Eagles.

Tanuki_23 said:
If T.O. wants more money he should realize that talent and stats alone do not get you paid. Why do guys like Peyton Manning, Brady, Favre, Vick, Harrison etc have no prob getting paid. B/c they put up the numbers, but they are also team players and a positive influence on the community. If he wanted more money, he should have stayed in SF one more year (like a good teammate would have done), then become a free agent, and sign anywhere he wanted to. No, he had to cry about SF, then cry about Baltimore, then sign a contract that was perfectly fair based on previous years (not only stats, but previous tirades and charades), only to turn around and demand more money after one year, saying things like its not fair that they can terminate my contract at any time, and cut me. We all can get terminated, just like that. Thats what happens at jobs. The Eagles saved his ass by pursuing him. Then he has the audacity to diss Mcnabb (one of his biggest supporters and good friends). How many bridges can this jerk burn. Being a good football player is not only about helping your team on the field, but off it as well. Im sick of him. He was a nobody until Young threw him that touchdown to win the game in the playoffs. Then he proceeded to cry like a little baby. I now realize he was crying not b/c he was happy for his team. He was crying cause he was so happy for himself. Money, money, money.:X :X :X :p :p :p

You know, everyone who defends Owens (including myself) does seem to forget that TO could've just waited 1 more year and become a free agent and got as much money as he believed he was worth. Very good point dude, I hadn't even thought about that. T.O. in general is pissing me off. He's making himself look so bad it's not even funny. Dealing with an organization like Phili, this shit just isn't going to fly either.

Do you guys think Owens will play for the eagles this year?

SonOF said:
Ugh, only an Eagles fan would defend Greg "nobody" Lewis. Almost as bad defending Todd "alligator arms" Pinkston. I have never heard an Eagles fan make a realistic prediction about anything.

Although Brian Westbrook is a talented back, without TO, your offense is just atrocious. McNabb will go back to rifling the ball to people's feet, and the defense will not be able to pick up the slack.

NO TO, not even a wildcard for the Eagles.

I can't believe that guy said that Greg Lewis is a great receiver hahahahahaha. DUDE HE CAUGHT THAT ONE PASS IN THE SUPERBOWL!!! HE'S THE NEXT JERRY RICE! LOL Catching ONE PASS makes you a great WR now! LOL I get FredEx is GREAT also?! hahaha

Now I was with you all the way here SonOF until you said NO TO, not even a wildcard for Phili. Are you serious man?!?! They've still got a playmaker at QB and westbrook can make plays also. As long as they've got some guys who can atleast make catches they'll be alright. I'm not saying SUPERBOWL, but playoffs for sure.

Last edited:
hmm...the went to the NFC championship 3 times without TO. they won an NFC championship, again without TO.

you guys can't tell me you think that james thrash and todd pinkston and whatever other mopes the eagles played at WR are the reason they did that well during that stretch.

SonOF said:
Ummm...I like the Bengals too, but I think even a wild card would be a huge achievement. One step at a time...they are the BENGALS. ;)

I agree. The Bengals will have improved and will do better this year but come on, its still the Bungals.

How about Detroit? I think Mooch is going to lead them to break out season. I am not saying they are going anywhere in the post season but the pieces are starting to fall in place for them.

oh, lapdawg - i am definitely puking today. especially after listening to sports radio morons for a half hour.

^There was also the Halftime spectacular w/ Owens and Rosenhaus during the Chargers/Packers game, not to mention the interview on sportscenter. :D

I'm tired of the media circus surrounding T.O. I'm tired of people getting all butt-hurt about how T.O. acts, how he's a bitch, how he's selfish.

Let's make sure everyone understands these facts first before they let their opinions of a man's personality get in the way.

- T.O. is one of the hardest-working players in the NFL today. If you think this is a lie, you don't know how T.O. plays the game. The mere fact he played in the Superbowl w/ a busted leg, signed waiver and everything, should prove to everyone the man is committed to winning and helping the team reach its pinnacle. The man did everything he can to help Philly win the Lombardi Trophy in Jacksonville and if he wasn't in the game, there wouldn't have even been a game worth talking about.

- NFL contracts are totally in favor of the teams. Players have little, if any, leverage and for Owens to demand a better contract is nothing new in today's nfl world. It happens EVERY year with many players...but for some reason it's a big deal when it's T.O. (read media hype err garbage)

- The contract T.O. signed is not reflective of the caliber of a WR he is. This is the main argument from his camp regarding his unhappiness and wishes to renegotiate. The common counter to this is that he's complaining after just one year. Well, after the season he just finished, it's a bit hard to top that kind of performance, is it not? And I don't think it's unreasonable for a player to hope an organization would back him after he stuck his neck out for them during the SB, risking his career to play in the game.

- Philly is in a bad, bad spot right now with their receivers. I don't care what philly fans have to say about their team being able to win an NFC championship without Owens. They certainly won't be close to winning a Superbowl without him. Let's not forget it was Owens who made the regular season that much easier for Philly to be ready come playoff time....much easier than previous years.

- Despite all the negative comments and thoughts about Owens, he still reports to camp on time and participates. He might be giving them the silent treatment (something he's done in the past w/ Mooch in SF) and for some reason it's a big issue even though Owens has played brilliantly during those supposed stretches where he's "unhappy" with a coach or whoever.

Somehow Owens has essentially become the Barry Bonds of football with how the media reacts to him. Everything he's done up to this point regarding a contract renegotiation has been done in the past by other people, yet T.O. is the one who gets ragged on more than any other, even though he's undoubtedly one of the greatest players in the game today and has shown how big his football heart is on the field. Off the field...well the man wears his emotions on his sleeve, and some are bound to react negatively to his ways. That should not take away from him as a football player.

The best advice I can give you all is just watch the guy play football and enjoy his talent. Don't let the media machine ruin the level of greatness T.O. displays often on sundays.

you know though, it's hard as an eagles fan to not remember the vikings getting picked by everyone last year...and then getting LIT UP by freddie mitchell. let's mince no words here - freddie was the player he thinks he is in that game. urkell must have been going nuts.

and then people picking the falcons...as if vick learned to pass somewhere along the way.

my point is, anyway, a whole bunch of NFC teams have to be better than they were last year to keep the eagles from doing the same thing they've done the last 4 years.

Last edited:
Why do we even talk about T.O.? And what if he doesn't even end up playing for the Eagles this season? I'll take Marvin, Reggie, Brandon, and Dallas over the Eagle's shitty reciever set.

you're right michael. Philly's been a dominant force in the NFC over the past 5 years and the conference isn't exactly littered with explosive teams, but I don't think you or any other Philly fans will be happy with just getting to the same point as the last 4 seasons...especially after coming that close to the big prize last year. I'd love to see this current Philly era take home at least one Lombardi Trophy...but until they do that, they're no better than previous great non-Superbowl winners...and that's just not what teams strive for.

Some NFC predictions last year were just laughable. I have no idea why some people thought Minnesota and St. Louis were going to pull upsets in the divisional round....oh those silly people. One of them had to have been Sean Salisbury. ;)

^I thought the Vikings were good for an upset.

it was hard as hell predicting the NFC last year, because not unlike the NFC as a whole, half the teams were talentless.

Im getting ready to go stalk T.O. for lunch try to get some pics. See how his driveway work-outs are going.

well, yes and no i'd be happy. i can always take comfort in not being a fan of some team like the dolphins. plus let's face it - as a philadelphia sports fan having the second best team in the nfl for 5 years really ain't so bad. it wasn't so long ago that they were 3-13.

AxL BLaZe said:
the Steelers still have Hines Ward THE BEST receiver in the AFC easily. talk about a tough motherfucker.

I can name about 6 better ones...and two play on Indy. 8(

Beagle said:
Now I was with you all the way here SonOF until you said NO TO, not even a wildcard for Phili. Are you serious man?!?! They've still got a playmaker at QB and westbrook can make plays also. As long as they've got some guys who can atleast make catches they'll be alright. I'm not saying SUPERBOWL, but playoffs for sure.

Yeah, I was getting ahead of myself with the Eagle hating. I don't think they will be great without TO, but they will likely make the playoffs in a terrible NFC. I mean, the Rams and the Seahawks made the goddamn playoffs in the NFC last year. Talk about mediocre teams.

^^
The Seahawks start out great last year. They were playing very well until they sufferred that lose to the Rams and everything went downhill from there.

Tanuki_23 said:
I just hope my beloved Cowboys can go 8-8 (im realistic), but as long as the Eagles or Redskins dont win, Ill be happy.=D =D =D [/QUOTE
what he said...lets add the Packers, 49ers, and Dolphins to that list also tho ;)

^shiiiit...I'd be one happy Niner fan if they went 8-8 this year. ;)

and michael...you've basically forced me into quoting Top Gun.

"There are no points for second place."

SonOF said:
If everyone stays healthy, plays to their potential, and they find ways to win close games, I think it could be a very good season.

Luckily for your Jets, the above statement is true for only about 19 teams.

^for the Jets to be half-way decent and not a big-game flop as they usually are they need to get a new/better kicker foremost.