• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The Official NCAA Football 2005 thread

my noles pulled that one out of their ass. very interesting bowden/paterno matchup, which I think will bring in more publicity than vatech/pennstate. acc seemed to have a strong finish w/eight teams going bowling... and 2 more one win away. Really looking forward to the national championship game, I wander what the o/u is going to be? 102?(i'll take the over ;))

haha just noticed that CFN thing i posted said "offensive line " not "offense" :eek:

atlas said:
^^

I hate to be the echo of so many sports analysts, but at least the BCS worked out this year. The two best teams in the country went undefeated, and will play in an exciting rose bowl.

the bcs didnt do that, the best two teams in the nation went undefeated. any system would match up texas and usc.

cravNbeets said:
the bcs didnt do that, the best two teams in the nation went undefeated. any system would match up texas and usc.

usc is in the pac-10... who would have automatically gone to the rose bowl, which the national championship game would not have been in. 1994 penn state ran the table but nebraska played a one loss miami instead. penn state got no share of the title because they were big10.

^^ haha not exactly what i meant but you're right. my point is that the bcs doesnt work; sometimes the season plays out in such a way that the contraversey is lessened, but the system itself is still a shell of what college football fans want. i'll still take it over the way things used to work.

The BCS system will never work. But then again neither will a playoff system.CravnBeets, what do YOU want out of the BCS? I think it's pretty much about as fair as it can get.

Even if you get a playoff system, with oh, lets day 8 teams, there's always gonna be that 9th team that thinks they were wrongly screwed.

Point is this: There will always be a team left out of it, somehow. This year it was Oregon.

Besides, it's fun to have a little controversy!

Hypnotik1 said:
Great competitive season from the SEC :)

i agree :) from spurrier's win over florida to vandy beating UK, i think overall this season from SEC was quite entertaining.

smotpoker said:
The BCS system will never work. But then again neither will a playoff system.CravnBeets, what do YOU want out of the BCS? I think it's pretty much about as fair as it can get.

Even if you get a playoff system, with oh, lets day 8 teams, there's always gonna be that 9th team that thinks they were wrongly screwed.

Point is this: There will always be a team left out of it, somehow. This year it was Oregon.

Besides, it's fun to have a little controversy!

actually im ok w/ the bcs. of course there's no perfect system. personally i have less of a problem w/ a #9 ranked team from a mid major conference getting fucked over for the last spot in a play off than i do w/ a team like auburn last year or usc the year prior the screws. no system is perfect but when people say the bcs works it irks me. the system doesnt work, its just that some years things play out well enough that fans will have less to bitch about:)

So other then the obvious excellent NC matchup. What do yall think the best bowl macthups this season? And the worst?

My top 3 games i do NOT wanna miss for anything...

1) LSU vs Miami
2) ND vs OSU
3) Bama vs Texas Tech ( i think this will be intresting seeing a top defense vs. top offense)

Worst i think will be

1) Oregon vs. OK

Oregon got fucked....

I'd also throw in there boise state vs. boston college.

I'd also say fsu vs. penn state.

I know this looks like a bad matchup but if fsu plays the way they did against vtech, it should be interesting. If anything, it will have the best press conferences- did anyone catch what joepa said on the selection show?? "i hope it doesn't come down to a battle of the coaches, you know, me and bobby can't run any more, but if we did, i'm sure i'm still faster" :) :)

No matter who you cheer on, OSU vs. Notre Dame should be a great game. =D

Glad to see guys recognizing the Ducks were screwed, once again, by the BS system we have today. I'd take traditional bowl matchups over this bullshit any day of the week.

The Ducks just don't get any love. Remember 2001? That was a royal screw...this year not as much, since in terms of what the BS is about, which is the almighty dollar, they took the sexy matchup over the more deserving, and one less loss team. Luckily I don't see the Ducks falling into the same trap Cal did in the Holiday Bowl. Oklahoma in a down year isn't as tough to face for the first time than say a Texas Tech spread offense.

Come to think of it, the bowl schedule looks great for a strong Pac-10 record... and we all know bowl records put the final stamp on the season hah. It's gonna be fun time regardless...like pretty much every bowl year. :D

LapDawg said:
since in terms of what the BS is about, which is the almighty dollar, they took the sexy matchup over the more deserving, and one less loss team.

You know ND and osu had automatic bids, they didn't take anything because of the money... agreed, oregon did get the shaft, but not because of money(well, not directly anyway)

Hypnotik1 said:
Worst i think will be

1) Oregon vs. OK

Oregon got fucked....

I think OK is underrated personally. They had a rough few first games because of a new QB, lots of other new players, and an injured Adrian Peterson. They had to play the longhorns way too early with such a new team to be able to put up a good fight. I think now that they have their shit together it would be a much closer game. They have won the last 5/6 games, with the only loss being against Texas Tech, which was close as hell the whole game, and only lost by 2 pts (with Tex T only putting up 23 pts). I think it will be a great game. OK just needed a bit of gametime to get their shit together, and I think the new QB shows loads of promise.

bGIveNs33 said:
You know ND and osu had automatic bids, they didn't take anything because of the money... agreed, oregon did get the shaft, but not because of money(well, not directly anyway)

That's incorrect. They received the at-large bids, which aren't automatic bids like the big 6 conference champions receive. Oregon (and Auburn) qualified for an at-large bid as well...but just weren't chosen because of the reason I bring up. OSU/ND brings a bigger national audience, and with it more money to the table in the eyes of the BCS.

Shimmer.Fade said:
I think OK is underrated personally. They had a rough few first games because of a new QB, lots of other new players, and an injured Adrian Peterson. They had to play the longhorns way too early with such a new team to be able to put up a good fight. I think now that they have their shit together it would be a much closer game. They have won the last 5/6 games, with the only loss being against Texas Tech, which was close as hell the whole game, and only lost by 2 pts (with Tex T only putting up 23 pts). I think it will be a great game. OK just needed a bit of gametime to get their shit together, and I think the new QB shows loads of promise.

yea but ur talking about Big 12 play.....Id say Big 12 is slightly above Big East simply b/c of Texas....

Big 12 was pitiful this year:|

So i think its not a good enough gauge to sya it would be a close game against the PAC - 10's #2 team :\