the official debate thread: no holds barred-> which genre sux/rules?

#1.. I love trance....
but
#2.. Have you ever heard any happy hardcore... no song inparticular... just anything... ITS HORRIBLE!!!!
if you have ever heard any HHC you would be telling me how great any music was compared to it... satan... hitler... stalin... they aint got nothing on happyhardcore...
its like a barny show on ex... its something the telletubbies would sing and dance to... or something ripped from a japanese videogame about hamsters...
it reminds me of pokemon... or hello kitty... or anything so supremely "bright and happy"...
the only thing that could ever account for its existance is either satan himself using reverse psychology creating something so "cute" and so "bouncyhappy" you just want to shoot yourself in the head to end the horrible misery..
or a twisted government plot to raise everone's self esteem, apparently starting with the preschool and raver populations...
at least trance doesn't sound like AN EFFORT WAS MOST OBVIOUSLY MADE to make it sound cheesy...
I swear if I ever hear "rainbow to the stars" again.... AND hear people actually enjoy it... and see people joyfully dance to it... and smile and laugh to it...
I will impail myself on my own glowsticks....
whew... had to get that out...

you know, i'll agree w/ you on happy hardcore, that's some dumb ass shit.
but i can't agree w/ you on trance.
it makes me cringe to hear it.

Well, to start off, happy hardcore blows cock. It's the most disgraceful genre of music in the scene;it's too fucking fast, cheesy, monotonous, and boring. If you like fast music, rotterdam will kick the shit out of hh anytime.
However, there can only be one best type of music, and i have no doubts when i say trance. Not any type of trance, since ATB is shit, same with all that commercial and progressive crap (Alice DeeJay, Lustral, you know). The undisputable champion is hard progressive trance, like aqualords, mellow d, mauro picotto, dj scot project, cosmic gate, etc. There is nothing more pure and agressive than that shit. Something you can get into (the build-ups, the melodies, the breakdowns, blah blah...) an totally lose yourself in (hence the name).
Of course, music is a choice made on opinion, but happy hardcore just sucks
wink.gif
!
------------------
Electricity comes from electrons; morality comes from morons.
If there is no God, who pops up the next Kleenex?
What's another word for synonym?

remember when trance was all silly and lame and alien themed??? i guess ol oakie and gang made it all "grown" up
as for hardcore being repetatvie....yeah right..the beats change a LOT......trance and the other stuff for example are all pure boring loop based crap. any jackass with rebirth can make it.just go to mp3.com and see for yourself
oh and theres no style called rotterdam..tahts a city!
i wish those gabba kids wouldnt steal the name hardcore and leave us being called happy. thats soo gay

Obviously, the question of which genres of Electronic music are superior is a matter of opinion.
But just as it is my "opinion" that Michael Jordan was better than Jeff Hornacek, it is also my opinion that House and Trance are "better" and "truer Dance Music" than other genres such as Hard Techno, Drum-N-Bass, Jungle, and Happy Hardcore.
In support of my assertion that Trance and House are superior, I offer one argument and one clarification:
First, my argument:
Most of the people who now listen (and dance) to House and Trance USED TO listen (and dance) primarily to Freestyle in the '80's, Disco in the '70's, and "Dance-type" music all along.
Most of the people who now listen to Hard Techno, Drum-N-Bass, Jungle, and Happy Hardcore USED TO listen to some combination of Punk, Heavy Metal, Classic Rock, and other NON-dance music.
Before you start throwing your flames, I readily admit that this is a generalization, just as it a generalization that men are taller than women, and that Africans tend to have darker skin than Canadians.
I don't think it is a coincidence that people who's favorite music has always been "dance" type music have gravitated toward House and Trance when Electronica was born. And at the same time, many of those who, until they entered the "scene," disliked and even made fun of dance music and its fans have gravitated towards Hard Techno, Drum-N-Bass, Jungle, and Happy Hardcore.
Is it a coincidence that punks in the '80's called Dance music and its fans "cheesy" just as D-N-B'ers and Junglists now refer to Trance and Tranceheads with the same word?
So, Junglists, instead of calling us Tranceheads "cheesy," just be happy you discovered E, and no longer spend your evenings guzzling beer with ugly women in a mosh pit.
wink.gif

Now, for my clarification:
It is very common for critics of House and Trance to point out that so many songs in those two genres are "so easy to make."
Even if that assertion is true (and it isn't), what difference should that make?
In my not-very-humble opinion, the test for what is good music should be:
what is most pleasing to the ear (with bonus points given if it touches the soul)
How difficult is was to make should NOT be a factor. Millions of birds are capable, with little effort, of producing beautiful sounds. Does that make their songs any less beautiful?
What if only one person in the world, and only when he tries his hardest, can make a particular sound, but most people agree that the sound is ugly? Does the fact that it was "difficult" to make make it "good music?"
In conclusion, I will repeat the obvious fact that which genres of Electronica are superior is a matter of opinion. However, since the purpose of this thread was for each person to argue for his personal favorites, I submit,
My Case For House and Trance-Heads Everywhere,
L O V E L I F E
------------------
"E doesn't make life beautiful; it REMINDS you that life is beautiful."

Pesonally, I like House the best, followd by jungle...
I don't understand Happyhardcore...sounds very cheesy to me
Trance is always good, and epic house (like sasha)
I'm starting to really get into some electro-funk (like laurent garnier, etc)...and Hip-Hop/soul like Naked Music NYC, and Black Eyed Peas...

w/r/t Lovelife's comments about house and trance being appreciated by people who have been into dance music for some time - I'm going to have to disagree with her(him?).
While this may be true for house, pretty much anyone who has been into electronic dance music for some time regards trance as being cheesy and formulaic. 'Tranceheads' are generally people who discovered E and dance music sometime within the previous two years...and the pills are way more important to the vast majority of them (no matter how much they might say that it's all about the music).
House, techno and drum+bass producers/DJs all get respect from one another, but the only people in dance music who have anything good to say about trance are those who are known for making/spinning it (and the only ones with any credibility here are Sasha, Digweed and BT - Oakenfold and PVD are jokes).
The same applies for happy hardcore too; the old school stuff gets props from time to time, but virtually nothing that has been made since 1993 is taken seriously by anyone except those who make/spin it and those who listen to it.
'So what?' you might say 'who cares what others think?' - and I agree. Listen to what you like to listen to, dance to what you like to dance to. But I guarantee you that three years from now (if you are still into electronic dance music - most of the people I knew that were into trance four of five years ago gave up on the music when they got bored with the pills and started listening to Oasis and drinking loads of beer instead) your tastes will have moved in the direction of techno and house.

i don't know if i agree with you. what you mean,i think,is that people will eventually move away from the pvd, tiesto, etc. trance, which i totally agree with. but if you think that people will move away from dj's like digweed, i totally disagree. even though, by my card he doesn't exactly spin "trance" anymore, more like progressive.
There's good and bad music in every genre (or sub-genre), you just have to know what's crap and what isn't.

That's pretty much what I was saying pfunk...I agree that people who like Sasha and Digweed now, and who stay in the scene, will probably still like them in 3 or 4 years...that's why I singled them out.
PVD, Oakie, Tiesto and their ilk will just be playing to another crop of newbies.

#1 house
#2 breaks
#3 techno
#4 d&b
trance, i've already mentioned: i think it blows... calling it progressive house doesn't change the fact that its still crap/trance.
i've heard PVD, Oakenfold, Sasha, digweed,space girl...
it's boring! unimaginative...
i could go on but i won't.

I haven't dosed E in almost 2 years. I was listening to trance since before I started partying. I still listen to trance, even though I don't party all that much anymore. The people who quit listening were probably never really into it for the music anyway.

well, dj nimby, if rotterdam is not a type of hardcore, thaen i guess chicago hard house isn't a type of house music, is it?

Happy hardcore and gabber are the worst forms of electronica outthere it doesnt take any talent to spin such repetitous crap and anyone that can get down to that is lacking chemicals in the brain. no offense to you gabber and happy hardcore kids
smile.gif

*Jessica*

Trance is not just for newbies or druggies I havent been in the scene long but i know a lot of people that like different genres of trance and have been in the scene more than 5 years. Trance is for people with depth I wouldnt expect you to understand it.
*Jessica*

no ekg.....people generalize it as rotterdamm because thats where many of the labels that put it out are at...go there and tell them you want some "rotterdam" music and see how fast you get your ass kicked
wink.gif

Happy Hardcore would be the Second Greatest Thing in the World if the only other thing in the world was "getting ass-raped."
wink.gif

------------------
"E doesn't make life beautiful; it REMINDS you that life is beautiful."

LiQwidVibeZ - I'm not 'deep' enough to understand trance? You put almost as big a smile on my face as Lovelife's comment about HHC did.
Stan C - You're right, the people who quit listening were probably never really into it for the music anyway - but in my experience they were always the ones that were most into trance when they were partying.
[This message has been edited by basic (edited 17 August 2000).]

alba- i don't really share your opinion as progressive is my baby-
but as for your tastes, i can dig 'em
breaks- Adam Freeland- Tectonics
House- Danny Tenaglia- GU:Athens
Techno- Laurent Garnier- Unreasonable Behavior
DnB- don't really listen to it, a little to hard on my ears. but the above three are what i've got in my stereo right now.