the official debate thread: no holds barred-> which genre sux/rules?

it is true that the type of music you dig represents where you are at with your investigations of electronic music.
We've all checked out cheesy happy hard and trance (let's face it, when it doesn't sound cheesy it's just plain boring) and most jungle at some point and if you're still into it, don't worry, you'll get over it.
Personally I believe that minimal and fucked up techno (or whatever you want to call it- for me techno is driving rhythms, quality original sounds, and unrelentingly and incredibly funky) requires aural training and after many years of exploring sub-genre after sub-genre I am still pursuing these sounds avidly.
It is still challenging me, fascinating me, stimulating me bodily and mentally. It is also an area of music that hasn't become stagnant. There is a lot of fantastic stuff out there people wouldn't even call techno if they heard it eg Leonardro Gomez, Cari Liekebusch, Surgeon, Choke music etc. Also, the sounds are classic and universal- check out UR releases from 1992 today. They still sound pretty amazing.

basic, i read your post...& i wanted to comment on it: you are right on point!
someday the tranceheads will grow up
and if not: they have really bad taste.
sonicbaby, that's funny you say that...
because the first thing i got into was richie hawtin and i started digging into detroit stuff (kenny larkin, derrick may, etc, etc)
techno & minimalist stuff is really beautiful...but all in all i tend to lean towards house. its really got a hold on me...
about d&b, i'll always respect it...because it's hip-hop's cousin and i grew up on hip-hop.
[This message has been edited by alba (edited 18 August 2000).]

The only music really worth listening to in a club is Hard House. Most of it is underground, white lable stuff but some of the stuff coming out on cd is ok. Nukleuz records and Tidy-Trax are bringing HH into the commercial age. It'll be in even the shittest of clubs in a couple of years which is when it'll loose it's appeal.
some trancy stuff is class: 'silence' by delerium or luvstruck r good but 'looking good' by 'lisa lashes' is the best ever track. trance can not provide that much energy for when u r off your tit.

I like most stuff, as long as it is not boring and overly monotonous, aas long as it has some good builds ups, some decent variations in it, a nice rhythm, with a nice NICE sounding bass.
I like trance, i like pregresive trance, i like deep trance, house, deep house, pregressive house, tech house, DnB/jungle, breakbeat, hardcore, happyhard, ragga, minimal,
the ONE thing i will NOT stand for is commercial trance (alice deejay etc etc) or commercial house, the real clubby hard house shits me the fuck off, and i wish any DJ who spins shit that sounds so bad it can only be appealing to DEAF people will get his fingers cut off when his turntable realises what he is playing, and bites his fucken fingers off.
Clubby shit, and commercial trance can go fuck each other off, cuz they suk ass!!!

All I can say it that trance makes me anti-social and want to stare at the ceiling. This is bunk. I like to socialize and shake my rump. HOUSE is the only music you can do that in style. Funky, Sexy and hopefully DISCO house baby. Look around you it is the house heads that are smiling and all the good looking girls are in the house room. House is what is funkin' up you radio!!!!!!

All I can say it that trance makes me anti-social and want to stare at the ceiling. This is bunk. I like to socialize and shake my rump. HOUSE is the only music you can do that in style. Funky, Sexy and hopefully DISCO house baby. Look around you it is the house heads that are smiling and all the good looking girls are in the house room. House is what is funkin' up you radio!!!!!!

Mellow, apologies for the flame in the 'HOUSE anyone' thread, i like you, got carried away in belief/s etc.
I am sorry, but as digital-psykosis said, i raised valid points, as i had hoped to, but sorry all the same.
ciao
(sorry this is off the topic, but the other thread is closed)

i love:
-breaks (not all but some)
-ragga jungle and jump up (and i think someone said that jump up is shit for kids who can't let go of hip hop - well, i never even listened or liked hip hop before i liked jungle...)
-some new jungle and drum n' bass (i used to despise the newer stuff, but it kinda grew on me =) )
-hard techno and/or minimal techno! wooo! again, i used to laugh at techno, 'cept now i love it, especially hard or minimal.
-acid techno! woo!
-goa/psy trance (minus any cruddy sounding goa i've heard - which hasn't been too much)
-harder, darker trance, and some uplifting or morning trance too. some trance annoys the shit outta me, but some i love. i'm not too big on big name dj's like oakenfold and all those guys though.
-rotterdam, hardcore, some speedcore and gabber types of styles...yeah, i know, some people lowly regard these types of music as trash, especially speedcore. i can't listen to speedcore too long anyway. just if i want to go bananas for a bit, or if i'm pissed off as fuck. but usually i love some good hardcore or rotterdam.
i don't really like:
-happy hardcore (i used to LOVE it. but the lyrics started sounding so plastic and repetative, and i just kinda outgrew it. if at a party there's a hh set, yeah, i can usually go through it, it's just that a lot of it's lost it's appeal to me. although i still have my fun furs.
smile.gif
it's just like i'm a fuckn' hardcore candy kid - clothing wise at parties.
-SOME house: okay - i like some HARD house. i don't like disco house. or booty house. or a lot of other house. generally, house just doesn't do it for me. some does. but most often not.
anyway. that's enough typing for me.
enjoy whatever you listen to.
peace!
smile.gif

------------------
I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

the bomb:
hard trance
goa trance
drum and bass
house
sux:
Happy hardcore, it's so annoying and cheesy. I really don't like happy music to begin with. It's too fast, how can anyone possibly dance to it?

its no contest, happy hardcore is definately the worst, trance and house ( all types of trance an house ) are cleary the best.
------------------
Smad
Vinyl = GOOD!!!
A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say.
"That's dynamite, baby."
Too bad you can't buy a voodoo globe so that you could make the earth spin real fast and freak everybody out.

Thought I would bump this one... Even now its an amusing read..
It makes me feel odd though. I've listened to all of the following in a club/muddy field setting: HHC, hardcore, trance (psy, prog, hard, sledgehammer
smile.gif
, euro), big beat, breaks, house (club, deep, tribal), DNB, rap, techno (detroit, acid, minimalist) and each time I've managed to get into it and appreciate its differences from everything else. I'm almost the only open minded dance music guy here... BUT...
I can't stand the boink sqonk, disgusting, bullshit, posey, ponsey, cokehead garage tripe whats being produced in the UK at the moment...
If you think euro trance is bad, wait till you've heard some of this shit. All I can say is that I'm glad its played on the radio at off peak hours and they've found there own little drug free island (Aya Napa) to take it too..
Jase.

ok, so it's probably a bad idea to throw your cents into a pot like this, but fuck it:
trance...i love it and i spin it, but as a musical form it's a bit stagnant...goa fucking rocks though and more people need to listen to it...
techstep/ darkstep jungle is/are amazing and it's the only genre that is really pushing the envelope...i went to global bass in NYC last thursday and saw Bad Company and Brockie, and they were dropping shit that was new sounding and feeling...just when i thought "The Messiah" was the hardest thing ever, BC dropped an original that pretty much started world war three...at least it will be the sound heard when it starts...
house..carl cox, DT, DJ Dan stuff is good and orginal...techno, both hard pounding shit like The Surgeon and Alan Sax stuff and funky Donald Glaude, Green Velvet, Scott Henry stuff is always fun to dance to...and I consider Josh Wink to be one of the great producers of any type of music...
Hard house and booty house suck my left nut...the right one is reserved for gabber...they are inane and annoying...so eat a dick...but i do like some hardcore, simply because it makes no apologies for being what it is...silly...Hardcreation's "I will Have That Power" is still one of my favorite electronic tracks to date...and it sucks as a song
------------------
Lighta' Crew!! Check It!!

ok, so it's probably a bad idea to throw your cents into a pot like this, but fuck it:
trance...i love it and i spin it, but as a musical form it's a bit stagnant...goa fucking rocks though and more people need to listen to it...
techstep/ darkstep jungle is/are amazing and it's the only genre that is really pushing the envelope...i went to global bass in NYC last thursday and saw Bad Company and Brockie, and they were dropping shit that was new sounding and feeling...just when i thought "The Messiah" was the hardest thing ever, BC dropped an original that pretty much started world war three...at least it will be the sound heard when it starts...
house..carl cox, DT, DJ Dan stuff is good and orginal...techno, both hard pounding shit like The Surgeon and Alan Sax stuff and funky Donald Glaude, Green Velvet, Scott Henry stuff is always fun to dance to...and I consider Josh Wink to be one of the great producers of any type of music...
Hard house and booty house suck my left nut...the right one is reserved for gabber...they are inane and annoying...so eat a dick...but i do like some hardcore, simply because it makes no apologies for being what it is...silly...Hardcreation's "I will Have That Power" is still one of my favorite electronic tracks to date...and it sucks as a song
------------------
Lighta' Crew!! Check It!!

I like show tunes and comercial jingles.
smile.gif

Look I'm gay
|
|
|
V
House is Junk
Trance is Useless
Hardcore is Nasty
Breakbeat is Gross
Techno is Lacking
Garage is Extinct

I like trance (progressive, deep, etc.). It's the only genre of electronic music that can actually take me on a journey when I listen to it. I also love jungle, happy hardcore (yes, I like both jungle AND happy hardcore, believe it or not), and breaks (funky, nu-school, progressive). Every now and then, I will get in a funky house mood, but that is rare.
Genres I don't really care about are hardcore (sorry, I just can't listen to it. It gives me a splitting headache!) and techno (I respect it, but it just isn't my thing. Doesn't really do much for me.).
------------------
"Have you ever had a dream that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?"
Proud member of the CRC!

Where was I when this thread first went around? It's probably good since I've done a lot of growing musically in the last couple months. I've really been researching and digging at self to discover what I truly like. It breaks down like this:
HOUSE. It's my first love. At the early stages, I was digging the club stuff (Madonna, Cher remixes and such-hehe). It was my introduction to EDM. Although I've been around electronica for awhile (just for the drugs--sad?). Then I quickly found affection for the hard stuff (Humpty, Irene, BBB, etc...). I tell you, this doesn't do a damn thing for me anymore. I still enjoy it at parties (especially Booty/Ghettotech), but not after the sun comes up. I'm truly falling in love with what I call REAL house music (Mark Farina, Eric Morillo, Kevin Yost, Dimitri from Paris, Dan, Danny T, etc.) It seems alive to me. Gives me a sense of happiness that only House can provide.
TRANCE. This is what started my soul-searching. I've always hated this stuff. The la,la,la,la,la creasendoing builds that seem to lead to nowhere but a simple bassline and drumbeat coming back. But, I've recently decided that there is Trance out there that I do like, but never gave it a shot before. I can't describe it really, but I can say that the stuff I like--I love. What is it that I like? I guess it's DJs like Christopher Lawrence, Sandra Collins, Dave Ralph(kinda), Faelix in Cinci(he started it for me), Andy Hughes (is he really trance?), and I got this CD from another Ohio DJ, Tryptamine that I will never part with. Oh, and Vixen in Nashville--I can't tell if it's her tracks or her beauty, but I'm parked for her entire set. I guess what I can't stand is the relentless, 2minute buildups that remind me of church hymns. Please, if anyone can help with my definition here, email me. I need help!!! (Trip--I'd love to get an email buddy to discuss the nuances of trance)
TECHNO. I'm still fairly new to discovering this genre. Like I said, there was a long time when I was all about some HOUSE and nothing else. I dig Richie Hawtin, Derrick May, Jeff Mills, React in Cinci, Terry Mullen, Frankie Bones (I'm baffled by the term Tech-House, why does there have to be so many clasifications?) All that I ask from techno is that there be some kind of groove. Stuff that is listenable and enjoyable at home or in the car. Really dissonant and repeated horn blasts and quirks get on my nerves.
DRUMNBASS. I love this stuff--AT HOME. I hate it at parties, can't stand it (i still make a point to listen to the set). It always seems like a different party when these DJs step up. The jungle kids seem to be all about props and respect-NO lOVE. Mostly, I guess it's because I can't dance for shit to it. I'm all about my little house bounce and am quite emabarraced by my lack of abilities and skill here. I like LTJ Bukem, Dara, AK1200, Diesel Boy, etc...There are tons more quality DJs that I'm just not aware of I'm sure. I haven't really researched it for the above reasons. I also tend to put BREAKBEAT in this same category. I know I'm way off, but it's how I see it.
HHC. Hate it at home. But I love it at parties. Particularly all HHC parties, which is probably where this stuff belongs. I love the energy created. And kandee kids are darling. I feel good to have them in the world. Yes, it's cheese. But what the hell?
To me it all comes down to what I call the "boogie". My dance music has to have the boogie. Something that drives the tune forward and get's me movin. Basslines usually provide this, but I've noticed in some Techno and Trance that it could also be a sound or quirk in the melody. Please, I'm serious about wanting someone knowlegable to discuss this with. So email me. You may have noticed that I've included DJs as examples. This is simply because I've never really gotten too deep in who is producing. Sorry, I'll learn. I have a lifetime.