Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Megathread The OFFICAL Anime Appreciation Megathread! vers Moshi Moshi

Funimation is actually the company I was thinking of, AFAIK they buy up most of the English-language stuff. Bones is an awesome studio, I wish they did more stuff but then again they really put their heart into their work so that's probably better. ufotable is also an awesome studio, their type-moon shit is awesome. The Kara no Kyoukai collection is truly epic but the box set of BDs retails for over $1000 which is completely fucking insane but every scene is pure art.

lol yeah, I'm somewhat worried about the quality control on the tablet but it's made my a legit company not some knockoff brand so it should be ok. Comes out of Shenzhen like most of the world's electronics anyway

I haven't read through this thread or the OP but Serial Experiments Lain. If it's been mentioned already then good, if not, fucking watch it.

I don't wanna see this thread drop to second page (probably because I'm its biggest stakeholder :p) so BUMP!

There's a new anime from this season called Accel World that I didn't think I'd like at first but it's actually pretty good. The protagonist is an unconventional fat kid who somehow winds up with the hottest girl at school fighting the good fight in virtual dungeons. It sounds tired and lame but the concept is well executed. Basically it's set in the near future where kids get some kind of neural interface at birth to be constantly connected to the internet via some neckband computer. There is a secret godmode/game for anyone with these neural interfaces called Burst Link which allows them to mentally accelerate into a virtual space created of their real surroundings and basically stretches time for them while they're in the virtual space. The benefit is that real life can essentially be paused to give the Burst Linker more time to think about decisions that would otherwise be split-second. The caveat is that you need points to perform this time-slowing trick which can be acquired by facing off against other Burst Linkers in a fighting game when two or more are geographically close enough to be on the same network.

Anyway, it sucks to describe because I'm sure it sounds retarded in words (when I read the pre-release synopsis I think I even rolled my eyes) but if you like near future sci-fi that seems plausible enough to successfully suspend your disbelief then it's worth checking it out

elfen lied - havent watched the entire thing but i know there are "hands" that cut annnything liek a scalpel heads arms bodies in half...yup
higurasi no naku koro no kai - everyone kills everyone else...in multiple ways throughout the show its crazy...

everyone is saying cowboy bebop is a crazy anime but ive always skipped past it...so im going to get the entire show now :)

yea Bebop is unmissable. Elfen Lied was more of a half-assed series, it could have easily been much better. I want to hear if anyone has seen Gantz. There was an anime series with two(?) seasons and even a live-action movie which supposedly didn't completely suck. I just finished catching up with the manga and it's about as fucked-up as fucked-up gets.

Basically people who are about to die get saved and cloned/transported to a room from which they can't escape. A black ball is in the middle of the room that tells them "j00r L1v3z R 0v3r" and gives them strange guns and suits to fight aliens in their cloned bodies that can be transported in and out of the room by the will of the black ball. During the day they live their normal lives, then during the night they fight aliens to the brutal, brutal death and relationships develop fast as they struggle to keep each other alive. Apparently the anime is not so good as the manga but otakus say that about everything. The manga has been going for years and is set to end this year.

about my last post..
it is higurashi no naku koro ni - this is the one where everyone kills eachother
and higurashi no naku koro ni KAI - that is an answer series followup to the first set...
it can be confusing but its still pretty crazy :eek:

I'm all for keeping this thread alive too!...I just gotta think of more relevant stuff to post.

I have plans to watch kimi ga nozomu eien when I download a decent version. Anyone seen? Thoughts?
Loved <3

Still trying to source Gantz while inhaling the manga chapters as they come out (fucker should finally be ending within a few chapters). The tablet I ordered is fucking perfect for manga and has really made a difference I just need to make more time for it arrrrgh. I finally did get to the end of a series I've been watching for a while, Blood+ which I was reluctant to even start because I saw some of Blood C (by CLAMP, an all-female manga ensemble) and thought it fucking sucked bad.

After the story gets going it's really an epic 2-season series worth watching. Hell, it's worth rewatching even. I know I will do so at some point. The music was done really well for it too which is a HUGE plus. Hans Zimmer (yes, THE Hans fuckin Zimmer) made the OST with Mark Mancina and the OP tunes were pretty badass too. The only caveat is it's one of those series revolving around monsters which I'm getting really tired of seeing on the one hand but on the other hand it seems like those are always the ones with solid adventure plots and great character development (eg. Gungrave). Add to collection (Y/N): Y

i just started watching samurai champloo and with the main characters' voices I can't help but picture the two samurai as spike (from cowboy bebop) and one of the mooninites (from aqua teen hunger force) and the girl as bulma (from dragon ball).

haha that sounds about right. i find that series to really be a feast, visually. Man, I'm starting to feel like an otaku being all up in this thread constantly. Not like that would be inaccurate since I do plan to watch anime before turning in for the night; the latest ep of Sankarea

Your fav anime

3 questions.
What is your favorite anime?
What anime are you currently working on?
Why are you posting in this thread if you dont like anime?

I'll start
-Naruto shippuden/code geass.
-Soul eater.
-I love anime, what r u talking about?

Hellsing Ultimate OVA.
Anything with Vampires.
I love anime/anything/everything from Japan.

1. If I had to name one? GitS, I guess.

2. Egro Proxy.

3. I have no problem with anime in itself, but I can't understand the ludicrous fanbase that it attracts and retains. I watched a ton of anime as a kid, from Pokaymanz to Cowboy Boobeepz, so I think I 'get it' when it come to the animation style(s), humor, etc. But a lot of anime is, to put it tersely, mindless entertainment-industrial garbage - or at least no better than most other television shows and movies that are currently being pandered to large audiences. I feel compelled to repeat that I find no fault in the medium per se, but rather in the majority of its actual content. At any rate, Miyazaki and Oshii ftw!

1.) A dead heat between Spirited Away and GITS: SAC, with its related series.

2.) Nothing ATM.

3.) Like PA, I don't dislike anime, but I find it terribly overrated; it's always been too stylistically homogenous to really grip me. Where I do give it props is for having a fully developed market for adults, whereas Western animation is only now getting out of the "just for kids" straitjacket (re Adult Swim programs, the continued success of South Park, etc.).

Lets go onto further questions.
4. Why is your favorite your favorite?
5. How are your currently watched animes turning out?
6. Arrange these in order of best to worst in terms of quality: Elfen Lied, Naruto, Neon genesis, Ghosts In The Shell, Cowboy bebop, Bleach, Inspector Conen: Case Closed, Inuyasha, Hunter x Hunter (2011), Soul Eater, One Piece

for me-
4. Well for one code geass actually ended up making me shed a tear @ the ending --- It got me emotionally involved. I liked the psychological aspect of it, the drama, the action, it was a solid show and it was clear and concise. For naruto, I have alot of time invested into that show, i've seen every episode and i've grown attatched to the characters. I love the animation style/art work, I love the action, i love the ninjas, i love the progression naruto has made from the beginning, i love the dualities between naruto and sasuke, i love the similarities between the show and politics in the real world, the comedy can be hilarious at times and it too has made me cry time and again (emotional involvement). Something i've noticed is you can tell alot about a person by the shows they watch, the way i see it: you can't love/hate something unless you see yourself in it and to love a show you have to love each individual character, its like every character collectively as a whole tends to be similar to you in some way - the good the bad, etc. and thats why i dont care for one piece, i dont see myself in any of the characters.

5. I'm currently watching a few shows - Hunter x Hunter, naruto shippuden and bleach i'm caught up on. I'm also working on Soul Eater, Gantz and bleach(i stopped watching bleach for a while after ichigo defeated aizen which is where i thought it should have ended (310)). Soul eater and hunter x hunter are both shaping up to be fantastic shows. Naruto has always amazed me but i wish the eps would come out faster. Bleach is dissapointing me with all the fillers and gantz isn't bad but it's not very high of quality imo.

6. Naruto, Cowboy bebop, Hunter x Hunter, Neon Genesis, Bleach, Soul eater, Inuyasha, Case closed, Elfen lied, One piece, Ghost in the shell (haven't seen it)

4. GitS offers a sizable number of sophisticated (so-called 'complex') episodes featuring a thrilling, engaging plot; a few good movies; and a universe that's more visually appealing, semi-plausible, and meticulously crafted than any other anime I've watched to date. Also, the consistency of certain characters' voices between different seasons and movies across a decade or so provides some solid aural ground upon which to stand, making the series/movies and their respective universes seem more 'real' than those of the competition. I should also report that I hold anime series to the same expectations as I would any other TV show, with few exceptions. I look for multidimensional characters, intellectual depth, 'believability/plausibility' (you know what I mean), and of course, quality performances and effective storytelling.

5. Very eh. I just don't know what to make of it. The characters all (!) seem like duds, which is really hard for me to say, because I find myself wanting to feel some kind of affection for them...but it's just not happening. The universe is interesting enough, but nowhere near as engaging as it could have been had the writers simply furnished it with more detail - it seems as though they have either presumed far greater knowledge on the part of the viewer than there truly is (is there a manga, perhaps?; I've found that this is often the case) or are sloppy storytellers in very strange way. Important details go unembellished, most secondary characters are introduced by way of a jarring 'cold open,' and the main characters, rather than being one-dimensional, appear to be, if you can believe it, 0-dimensional.

6. I don't think that you're being very realistic in your implicit assumption that anyone over the age of 14 and who isn't a diehard anime fan will have seen even half of the shows you've listed. That said, excluding only those of which I've seen absolutely nothing: GitS>Cowboy>Elfen>Inuyasha>Piece. I don't understand the appeal of the title character of Inuyasha (his foxy ears, perhaps?) and simply despise everything about One Piece. But seriously dood, as someone who isn't even a fan of this stuff, where are all the classics? Conspicuously absent are Dragonball and Kenshin, among many others, I'm sure.

not the 2.0 version

Why not?

Last edited: