• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Main LSD & Lithium Thread

LSD and perscription meds question

I was planning on hookin an old friend up with some lsd. Shes a crazy ole biker lady who has done alot of thing, but has never tried acid. Right now she takes lithium, and celexa. I just wanted to know if either of those drugs would effect the lsd. I would feel horrible if anything happened to her. She has eaten mushrooms, so shes familiar with psycdellics, but I don't know how her scripts will effect lsd. If anyone could lend some insight it would be greatly appreciated.

oh goddamnit! i assumed you had already tried googling this.

well i wasted my time... just fucking google "lithium lsd" theres a wealth of warnings against lsd and lithium.

do not advise your friend to take lsd and do not advise her to temporarily cease her medication in order to trip.

from all that i've read, lithium will increase LSD potency by 2-4x, and also increase the probability of seizure.

If she really wants to try LSD, i would start with much less than you would expect to be active. and keep a trip sitter nearby in case of incident

That's bad advice, the reports of lithium and LSD really indicate that it has a very fair chance to turn out horrible, it can't possibly be worth it.

I know that harm reduction usually is not saying 'just don't' but in some cases I feel it goes against all recommendation.

I've created a merged main thread on this and compiled some reasons why I say these things. Merging this one in as well...

Last edited:
would you say this warning applies to phenethylamines like the 2c series, etc? Or psilocybin and its derivatives? Or perhaps this is a problem specific to LSD.

Well because problems reported mainly are about both LSD and mushrooms I think the common ground should be considered which is the main action that is pretty much attributed to 5-HT2A agonism (or some agonism / antagonism balance), thats a type of serotonin receptor by the way.

It seems likely that this common property of these drugs is what combines badly with lithium meaning that you should expect the same with all other serotonergic psychedelics. So that means phens, tryptamines, and refrain from taking empathogens as well. Tripping is nice, but besides LSD you wouldn't get me to combine phenethylamines with lithium for the world either.

I am sorry to say this but if you don't take these warnings as a serious sign that you can risk quite threatening complications by using any psychedelic on lithium then it has to be obvious you want it too badly. That's not a healthy way of making decisions at all... Put your own well-being before being able to trip.
All this is not a valid reason to change medication but seeing as lithium is quite nasty in it's own right it could be an idea to investigate this. If you are stable though, don't ruin a good thing. If you are not stable maybe you should talk with your therapist about switching to something else anyway.
Just to be clear though, tripping on psychiatric medication is never recommended.

This post is not meant to be personal, I am speaking in general rather than judging.

Just to be clear though, tripping on psychiatric medication is never recommended.

Tripping is generally never recommended (depends on who you ask)

If you use any kind of meds you should inform yourself thoroughly about possible interactions before mixing it with psychedelic drugs. Tripping while you're depressed is probably not a good idea, no matter if you're on meds or not.