Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Main LSD & Lithium Thread

cebeula3

Greenlighter
1. http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_health3.shtml

Consider this quote and check out the rest of the page about the hospitalizations etc reported.

Lithium or tricyclics (like Amitriptyline, Anafranil, Asendin, Aventyl, Elavil, Endep, Norfranil, Norpramin, Pamelor, Sinequan, Surmontil, Tipramine, Tofranil, Vivactil) are fairly consistently reported as being very bad in combination with LSD. People attempting this combination are unable to communicate with others, they go into "fugue states" where they end up in other places and don't know how they got there, and they are generally in a terrible place psychologically. Life-threatening seizures and at least one DEATH have been reported to be triggered by the combination of LSD and lithium.

2. Reports:

- http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=37002
- http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_Pharms_Lithium.shtml#Combinations

It is not advisable to stop medication - but if you absolutely must, how long should one stop taking lithium for it to clear your body?

Taken from another forum

The plasma elimination half-life of a single dose of lithium is from 12-27 hours (varies with age). The half-life increases to approximately 36 hours in elderly persons (secondary to decreased GFR). Additionally, half-life may be considerably longer with chronic lithium use.

Taken from: http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/byname/toxicity-lithium.htm

I asked this question to two psychiatrists. One said five days, the other said seven. Really its mostly out of your system within a few days but five to seven is on the safe side.

Do be cautious taking any psychadelic if you are bipolar though, especially if you're on other meds.

Also found on the net, the combination can cause fugue states next to seizures and convulsions:

Lithium and LSD taken together has been reported by some to cause a fugue state http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugue_state which can be quite unpleasent.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_take_LSD_while_on_Lithium#ixzz1FXZ6onKq
[original post:]

yeah im fucked up. im on risperdal too.

is it safe? worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:
DO NOT fuck around with lithium unless it's specifically prescribed for you.

It'll deaden a lot of the emotional side of just about anything

is it safe? worth it?

Probably not & no

fastandbulbous said:
DO NOT fuck around with lithium unless it's specifically prescribed for you.

It'll deaden a lot of the emotional side of just about anything

Probably not & no

it is prescribed to me.

Man, lithium is the worst fucking thing ever. Doctors should not be allowed to prescribe that, it rates up there along with ECT as the most inhumane treatment that still gets handed out far too readily for its side-effects and efficacy.

Needless to say, risperidone is a death sentence to any psychedelic drug, most antipsychotics will, and risperidone is a pretty strong one, you just won't trip, no matter how much acid you take.

If you are being prescribed an anti-pschotic and a mood stabiliser it nevermind possible interactions it would be in yourbest interests to NOT trip or take any drugs.

Limpet_Chicken said:
On risperidone he CANNOT trip, it simply will not happen, on any serotonergic psychedelic.

this kid is claimin' stables.

As one of the folks here with probably a better understanding of most of the commonly used antipsychotic medications, mood stabilizers, and the related psychiatric disorders; here goes…

Most any antipsychotic medication will lessen, if not nearly eliminate, the effects of most serotonin related psychedelic drugs (LSD being such an animal of course). The modern ‘atypical’ antipsychotics such as risperidone work primarily at the D2 (dopamine 2) and 5HT2A (serotonin 2A) receptor sites. The D2 effects are what are responsible for managing the overt psychotic features of serious psychiatric disorder (hearing voices, delusions, aggression, etc.), while the 5HT2A effects should reduce the likelihood of EPS (extra-pyramidal symptoms) such as the old abnormal/involuntary tremors, shaking, and mouth movements that were an unfortunate hallmark of the old Thorazine, Stelazine, & co.

The actions of lithium are both more complex and less clear. Lithium is a proven effective mood stabilizer. It both helps lift mood when one is depressed (no energy, no pleasure, etc.) and reduce the severity and frequency of manic episodes (‘flying high,’ no sleep for days, racing thoughts, impulsive behaviors, etc.). We know lithium alters sodium transport across cell membranes in nerves, it may also alter neurotransmitter metabolism, effect secondary messenger systems, reduces protein kinase C, and may increase grey matter content (i.e. possible neurogenesis!).

If you are currently Rx Lithium and Risperdal you likely have a serious Axis I psychiatric disorder (Most likely something along the lines of a flavor of Bipolar disorder or Schizoaffective disorder). Take your medications. If you really have such a disorder it can be a lifetime struggle simply to remain in the normal range of functioning. While this may not be fun advice, you may have to accept that you may have to refrain from any drug or alcohol use for most or all of your life. If you are able to take the Risperdal pills regularly, stick with those as the shot (Risperdal Consta) can really elevate prolactin levels and give you all sorts of grief (in fact insist on getting at least an annual prolactin level anyway).

Regarding persons who were complaining about lithium, etc.…

Lithium used to be in 7-Up and was generally consumed as a sort of herbal ‘pick me up’ remedy. Very low doses of lithium have the effect of giving people a mild mood-lift. While the doses used in the management of severe mental illness are significantly higher than what used to be a ‘recreational’ dose, and there are attendant side-effects; just look at a head-to-head comparison with any other mood-stabilizer… there really is little comparison. As for the comment about it being bad stuff that doctors should not be allowed to Rx… I will take dry mouth and pissing like a racehorse over a ‘mixed’ manic episode every day of the week. Even ECT has it’s place in the treatment of severe treatment refractory depression. The complicating issue is not the side-effects of any particular treatment… it is the historic treatment of persons with a mental illness and the issues around consenting to treatment.

I B

i was able to roll when i skipped my rispadol dose. not as hard as i should... but when i smoked weed (which im usually told kills the roll) it brought it on tenfold.

okay what do you say about this?
I live in a small town in ohio. I have been diagnosed with BPD and depression. Which arent too bad actually. Nothing psychotic just environmental really. Anyways, I went to couseling and the "doctor" for coping mechanisms or whatever. They told me that medication would help. However, they didnt want to give me anything addicting because i smoke pot. So they gave me trilepitol and resperidol. The trilepitol was for the "depression" and the resperidol was supposed to work as a sedative. I took them for 2 days and was meaner than hell. I hated everyone and everything. So now im back to smokin pot for my sedative.

I'm not sure what your question is but if you feel your meds aren't right for you I would suggest going back to the doctor. Maybe give them more of a chance, 2 days is not a very long time. Although some people find pot can help them for many it can greatly excacervate their illness, if not immediatly perhaps in the long term.

marahjuana420 said:
I have been diagnosed with BPD and depression. Which arent too bad actually.
One has yet to see a true case of an Axis II Cluster B Personality Disorder that isn’t “too bad.” (Assuming the BPD here is Borderline Personality Disorder)

marahjuana420 said:
Anyways, I went to couseling and the "doctor" for coping mechanisms or whatever.
Learning appropriate ways to deal with emotions and responses to them is a very important part of any Axis II disorder. DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy), etc. has been shown to help with this, but it is a problem that will require much work on the part of the individual with the difficulty.

marahjuana420 said:
So they gave me trilepitol and resperidol. The trilepitol was for the "depression" and the resperidol was supposed to work as a sedative. I took them for 2 days and was meaner than hell. I hated everyone and everything.
Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) is generally used in high doses for the management of seizure disorders, but is often used ‘off-label’ for serious mood disorders such as Bipolar. Risperdal (risperidone) is an antipsychotic medication used in the management of serious mental illness. Both medications can take as long as 4-8+ weeks before full effectiveness is reached. Initially the side-effects of each generally tend to be sedation &/or kind of cloudy thinking. The side-effects are generally the worst at initiation of treatment and can taper off (though elevated prolactin &/or weight gain are realistic possibilities).

My advice: Read up everything you can about Borderline Personality Disorder (again assuming that is what you meant by BPD, if not disregard); Do not discontinue any medications w/o consulting with the practitioner who Rx them; try to self-reflect on whether you may have been mad/agitated for another reason and attributed it to the medications instead of the other factors (one of the hallmarks of Borderline Personality Disorder is an inability to consistently and correctly attribute feelings and emotions and a tendency to see everything as Love/Hate / Black/White with few other emotions/perspectives in the color palette so to speak).

I B

P.S. It goes without saying of course, that this advice is worth every penny paid for it…

My take on the situation is that you probably don't care weather you live or die. I've been depressed and thats what it meant to me.

If thats your state of mind, I say let the 'medication' run out of your system, and take the acid. It will be intense, and you might make it back.

I find pot and acid intensify my anger of the world, make me realise how fucked up it is to the core, makes me feel like nothing's worth it, makes me feel dissociated from reality (after).... And I'm fine without them... But this makes me sad as I love drugs lol

Lithium and LSD

i have been taking Lithium for about two weeks now for major depression. I love tripping and was strongly considering it until I saw several people note seizures when combining the two drugs. My question is how long do I need to be off the lithium until it is safe to dose?

If you could handle not being on it for about a week I wouldn't take it anytime before a week. Although set and setting are things to keep in mind while taking psychedelics and if you claim "severe depression" your mindSET isn't very good for a fun trip.

The half-life of lithium carbonate in the body is roughly 20-24hrs. So at least 3 or 4 days, preferably more since lithium is quite dangerous.