• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The Large and Nifty Not-quite-advanced Drug Chemistry, Pharmacology and More Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If MDA is a metabolite of MDMA, does it follow that the effects of MDMA are in part those of MDA as well?

I'm not too clued-up on my pharmacology.

Yes, although MDA is a minor metabolite, most MDMA is excreted unchanged, so while there might be a hint of MDA, it won't be significant.

What exactly does the "nor" prefix mean? Is it simply a dealkylated version of the original? Does it mean that it always comes off of the amine group?
all it means is a nitrogen has had an alkyl removed.

Right. It stems from "No R", signifying the removal of a substitution from a particular skeleton.

ebola

^That etymology is as false as the "no ohne radikal" etymology, but I like it.

Lol, my mistake. Most etymologies in dictionaries are actually false, so I don't feel that bad.

ebola

Octopamine

While researching nuerotransmitters I found Octopamine. Apparently its mainly found in invertebres but has been given to humans under a variety of names and stimulates the sympathetic nervous system. Does anyone know more about the specific effects of Octopamine?

Yes. It is used by bodybuilders and apparently not much fun. Search their forums.

Or, perhaps even search our forums:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=322626&highlight=octopamine

I knew about octopamine in August of 2000.

At that time, all of the human studies (and there were very few) showed beta 3's not to work (the rat studies were great though). In addition, an in vitro study specifically with octopamine did not produce results in human adipose tissue (though, it was great in rats).

I also asked Elzi Volk, who has done more research on the adrenergic system than anyone in the bodybuilding world, and also communicates with a lot of researchers, and it was her opinion that they would not do anything in humans. She already knew about octopamine at that time, BTW.

However, there was a recent human study with a beta 3 that showed it to be somewhat effective, so WTF knows.

The important thing is that all rat data on beta 3's and fat loss/lipolysis is MEANINGLESS, as humans and rats have very different adrenergic systems. And, you can guarantee they will toss rat studies out as evidence, just as they did with norephedrine.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=31321

Vaporization : Difference between melting and boiling point

It is still unclear to me which point refers to the vaporization temperature.
By reading the forum posts, people sometimes refers to the melting point to know the vaporisation temperature of a compound and sometimes the boiling point.

Does anybody know what information (melting or boiling) is relevant to know the "vaporization temperature" of a psychoactive compound in terms of inhalation ?

The boiling point? Although a lot of chemicals decompose at boiling, and the boiling point depends on the pressure of the environment in question.

How is this advanced drug discussion? Melting isn't boiling?

Although a lot of chemicals decompose at boiling
Could you please elaborate ? By giving an example for instance.

the boiling point depends on the pressure of the environment in question.
Yes I know. But usually in the chemical data sheet, the pressure given.
Sorry to haven't write it clearly in my first post.

How is this advanced drug discussion? Melting isn't boiling?
I think you didn't clearly understand my question. It was the last sentence of my post :
what information (melting or boiling) is relevant to know the "vaporization temperature" of a psychoactive compound in terms of inhalation ?

Well, substances usually achieve a substantial vapor pressure somewhat below their boiling point. A vapor pressure of 20 kPa is all that is necessary to smoke something -- 101 kPa is boiling.

Guys, 5-methoxy-tryptamines give me some strange "sweet", "sugar" feeling in my head. I am wondering if it can be related to 5-HT1a receptor agonism. Where can I find some data on them?
Chart(like one below) would be nice to see, but plain text data is ok too.

16246005.jpg

Also, it would be nice, if someone answer this question: why 5-MeO-T's produce so less visuals(if any)?

Doesn't also depend on the general stability of the compound, how easily it pyrolyses/oxidizes? If it's pretty stable then I don't see why you cannot just go well above the boiling point and vaporize it decently. If it is less stable then it is probably better to stay júst under the boiling point so that it doesnt vaporize like crazy and handles the excess heat badly.
Does that make sense?

The boiling trajectory of freebase DMT for instance is 60-80 degrees Celsius right? So if you have an electric vaporizer you should set it to somewhere around 65?

OK, so i've been looking around using both the BL search engine and google's site search as i'm sure this is somewhere on BL, but for the life of me i can't find it. Anyway, is it possible to remove the levo-amphetamine from adderall type mixtures? And if so, how, if it is feasible to do with limited equipment etc. Sorry if there's a thread on this somewhere obvious, but i'm tapped out of search terms to attempt to locate said info.

I agree for the DMT freebase.

But for the cocaine freebase for instance, I see every on Internet the melting point for the vaporisation issue.
Even Erowid mention this :
However, the salt form of many compounds has a much higher melting/vaporization point than the freebase (or freeacid if its got an acidic group instead of the basic amine group).
http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.php?ID=2348

Do you think it's a mistake ?

OK, so i've been looking around using both the BL search engine and google's site search as i'm sure this is somewhere on BL, but for the life of me i can't find it. Anyway, is it possible to remove the levo-amphetamine from adderall type mixtures? And if so, how, if it is feasible to do with limited equipment etc. Sorry if there's a thread on this somewhere obvious, but i'm tapped out of search terms to attempt to locate said info.

Use tartaric acid as specified in paragraph 4: http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/amph.cth.ppa.html

Status
Not open for further replies.