• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The Large and Nifty Not-quite-advanced Drug Chemistry, Pharmacology and More Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about The Ryan Haight Act and Brett's Law and wondering if anyone can think of other laws that were enacted because of the death of a teenager? I know OpWebT was largely the result of some teen overdoses but what about in the more distant past...can anyone think of examples?

he was twelveteen, but Len Bias' death was HUGE as far as laws go. Possibly tens of millions of African American men are in prison today because society decided to protect them from cocaine (I'm referring specifically to the series of mid-1980's laws that, among other things, affixed a hundredfold multiplier to crack sentencing)

I think also New York's Rockefeller Laws were inspired by the death of a person.

Last edited:
It may be, but as I understand, it is also quite easy/cheap to synthesize yourself. Correct me if I'm wrong, I just remember a friend of mine wanting to do it for kicks and he had no formal chemistry training over the high-school level. He was extremely knowledgeable though. His dad did own some pretty nifty machines, so perhaps he intended to use one of those, which would make the synthesis dependent on having access to expensive equipment...

can i ask what you need chloroform for ? :\

does marijuana really threaten the profits of pharmaceutical giants, or is this just something that people like to say? Have any professionals given an opinion on this (Wall Street market analysts or whatever)?

What specific products does it threaten, and which actions have been taken against marijuana? By whom?

well I have never really thought about it, but since you have asked , I would like to say yes, yes it does threaten them since these people are some of the most soulless scumbag greedy cocksuckers on the planet

I haven't heard of any "experts" weighing in, but if you think about it's soporific capabilities alone, then I think it would be able to at least compete with Z drugs, especially when you consider their side-effects. ("sleep"walking)
MJ is much less addictive than traditional pain management drugs, which I believe to be a pretty significant threat to the pharmaceutical companies. Even if it is only effective for mild to moderate pain, that's still a market which can be prescribed powerful opiates, especially in some less scrupulous clinics.
Then of course there the appetite stimulation, which has a smaller market but is probably still appreciable.

but you'd think that 75 years of prohibition would've resulted in at least some evidence, something a little more solid than speculation?

MJ is much less addictive than traditional pain management drugs, which I believe to be a pretty significant threat to the pharmaceutical companies. Even if it is only effective for mild to moderate pain, that's still a market which can be prescribed powerful opiates, especially in some less scrupulous clinics.
Then of course there the appetite stimulation, which has a smaller market but is probably still appreciable.

NSAIDs maybe sell better than opiates. If memory serves correct, celecoxib is very valuable to Lilly. My neighbor has M.S. and has a mounting stockpile of Celebrex, which he says has become useless to him ever since he got off probation and started smoking weed again. Actually he's piling the Celebrex right next to the Nexium because his stomach is no longer being torn up by daily ingestion of NSAIDs

How do chemists discover drugs that are unrelated to a natural lead compound?

Generally they don't, at least in a single step. Drugs evolve gradually in a similar way to living organisms, hundreds and hundreds are created and some survive while others go extinct because they are toxic or have limited utility and, like living organisms, there may be serendipitous discoveries analogous to punctuated equilibrium but that is less common. Numerous platypus analogs had to be biosynthesized before the successful organism that is the platypus was created. The same could be said about something like pramiracetam, it's obviously a significant departure from piracetam but it was not discovered serendipitously, arduous screening of 50+ piracetam derivatives was required before that structure was arrived upon, so largely the process is repeated trial and error though which you often arrive at something unrelated to the lead compound...though that is changing a bit in recent years.

has it been established that mdpv is mostly dopaminergic? at least two people agreed with that in the eadd mdpv thread, but many others have said there is far more adrenalin than dopamine in the mdpv experience, and that goes in line with my experience as well.

Trying to deduce the precise pharmacology of a compound from its subjective effects is highly error-prone. There are studies available on the action of MDPV; if there's something you'd like to read but can't PM me and I'll see what I can do.

How do chemists discover drugs that are unrelated to a natural lead compound? How did, for instance, PCP or pethidine come to be created, and how was it deduced that they might be pharmacologically active? I'd just like to know how any drug is invented in a "revolutionary", rather than "evolutionary" way, without being based on SAR or rational design or anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_discovery

Some I do know about: LSD was a total random accident. Pethidine is a simplification of the morphine rule.

can i ask what you need chloroform for ? :\

If you read back a page or two, nuke suggested it to someone for some purpose (I forget, lol), and someone asked if it was watched so I said that AFAIK it is probably watched, but also very easy to synthesize yourself.

As for my buddy's aspirations to synthesize it, I'm pretty sure that was just to waste a day together doing something 'educational' and being the crazy kid he was, he probably wanted to try knocking himself out with it, lol.

Can volatile radioactive material from Japan ride winds into China, or does the wind there never blow west? I'm not familiar with East Asian weather patterns but all the forecasts I see on NHK show continental wind blowing eastward.

I'm worried about the quality of the shit I buy online.

Can volatile radioactive material from Japan ride winds into China, or does the wind there never blow west? I'm not familiar with East Asian weather patterns but all the forecasts I see on NHK show continental wind blowing eastward.

I'm worried about the quality of the shit I buy online.

good to see your heart is in the right place..8)

Lol, not really.
I would hazard a guess that chemo-toxicities (of varied sorts, from heavy metals to aromatic hydrocarbons) from manufactured goods from China outweigh the danger of radioactivity of goods from Japan.

(really, humans aren't particularly rational in choosing what to worry about)

ebola

What's the story with nasal/sublingual administration of water insoluble drugs? I often see people on here say "that's not soluble in water, you can't snort it", but people seem to have success taking benzos sublingually, and snorting freebase DMT. With the DMT, if it's active they can't just be swallowing it, so what gives?

If you read back a page or two, nuke suggested it to someone for some purpose (I forget, lol), and someone asked if it was watched so I said that AFAIK it is probably watched, but also very easy to synthesize yourself.

As for my buddy's aspirations to synthesize it, I'm pretty sure that was just to waste a day together doing something 'educational' and being the crazy kid he was, he probably wanted to try knocking himself out with it, lol.

how much and how does it work to knock yourself out on it ?
also im curious why its watched and hard to get if, as people here mentioned, its a common reagent and solvent ? :\

Couple of teaspoons, read Erowid for more info... it sure smells funny though.
It is indeed a common reagent and solvent but usually only sold to/found in labs.

I would hold off on inhaling huge amounts of chloroform though. The thing I don't like about it is that it turns into phosgene in your liver. I suspect chloral hydrate and others do too...

Status
Not open for further replies.