• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The Large and Nifty Not-quite-advanced Drug Chemistry, Pharmacology and More Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The liver catabolizes codeine into morphine in vivo, and yeah, reaction of morphine into heroin in vitro is pretty trivial. As to whether the first reaction is viable in vitro, just with kitchen chemistry, is another story.

ebola

^The fact that so many junkies manage to do it makes me think that it probably is viable. Probably not a very good idea, given that the reagents are highly toxic, but feasible.

The point I was trying to make is... if he has to post in here asking things like "how much does it cost" and "what kind of equipment do I need" then it's pretty clear that he does not have the qualifications necessary to perform the chemistry.

Read, read and.........read. Though formally educated I am a true autodidact, I learn things in my own way........sometimes with dire consequences............

I already asked for my old thread contents.
Meanwhile i'll try to make a good excerpt to reconstruct them here.
If you want me to move it just let me know.

I thought pyridine was a watched chemical. Didn't it used to be in one of the lists?

Where would be a good place for a beginner to learn the basics of (neuro)pharmacology? i.e. the different receptors/how they work/SR/DA systems, that kind of thing. Online or textbook suggestions are most appreciated.
I know taking a college course would be preferable, and that's coming in due time, but I'm trying to get a good intro on the material until Fall2011 at which point I will be enrolling in a bio class.

I have a silly question.

So for example people say don't take an ssri with another ssri because of serotonin syndrome. But in actuality, the one with the higher binding profile would win out? Right? Why do they say this? Do they potentiate each other?

I thought pyridine was a watched chemical. Didn't it used to be in one of the lists?

It is not a listed precursor or "essential" chemical in the U.S. It might attract some scrutiny for its use in demethylation or for conversion to piperidine but its sale is not regulated. I think it is on the "suspicious" chemicals list but so are 500 other things. I certainly never had any problem.

I have a silly question.

So for example people say don't take an ssri with another ssri because of serotonin syndrome. But in actuality, the one with the higher binding profile would win out? Right? Why do they say this? Do they potentiate each other?

anyone? nuke, vecktor?

t I don't think that normal doses of SSRIs would saturate occupancy by ANY stretch so it would reason that the effects would be additive. But I can't see simple reuptake inhibition alone causing Serotonin Syndrome.

Last edited:
Can anybody tell me for how long a1-adrenergic receptors are downregulating to the "normal" level. I'm asking for how long somebody who use nasal drops will have blocked nose when withdrawing cold turkey. I have searched, but found only basic info on adrenergic system and no any info on the lifecycle of receptor.
Thank you.

My girlfriend was totally hooked to the xylometazoline sprays, we bought her a full bottle and then topped it up every day with distilled water so the doses gradually became less and less to help her taper. Took a good month but she is free now.

I remember having a pre-tihkal times book that talked alot about tyramine, I guess its in alot of foods and fairly easy to synthesize, what a drug though, its kind of like inducing the dopesicks except without the high before.

My girlfriend was totally hooked to the xylometazoline sprays, we bought her a full bottle and then topped it up every day with distilled water so the doses gradually became less and less to help her taper. Took a good month but she is free now.

I also made her titrated solution, but she decided to kick it cold turkey.

anyone? nuke, vecktor?

The contraindication is less for serotonin syndrome and more for the unpredictability of mixing psychiatric medications and for the likeliness of overdosage from combination. While the one with a higher binding affinity would reside in the transporter longer, having higher concentrations of both drugs in the brain would lead to higher occupancy in general (that is, the maximal dosage of the drug would decrease, possibly unpredictably, when combined with another drug with similar action).

I remember having a pre-tihkal times book that talked alot about tyramine, I guess its in alot of foods and fairly easy to synthesize, what a drug though, its kind of like inducing the dopesicks except without the high before.

ragemaxis sup pal. didnt know you visit this place :D

Q:
Where would be a good place for a beginner to learn the basics of (neuro)pharmacology? i.e. the different receptors/how they work/SR/DA systems, that kind of thing. Online or textbook suggestions are most appreciated.
I know taking a college course would be preferable, and that's coming in due time, but I'm trying to get a good intro on the material until Fall2011 at which point I will be enrolling in a bio class.
A:
BL Neuropharmacology Text
Right under your nose (it's the sticky beneath this thread in ADD).

affect of phenobarbital on modafinil

Hi, how long does it take that phenobarbital induce liver enzyme? i want gavage modafinil after adminstration of phenobarbital in rat. does it change concentration of modafinil just in first dose?

Status
Not open for further replies.