• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

⫸STICKY⫷ The Delphic Oracle- Know Thyself: P&S Social Ampitheatre of Doom

its cool, very interesting info in ur last post. what is qualia? i have a general idea but i'd like to hear from you.

its a question because i was pondering how deep an animal's mind goes the other day. do they have egos? thought? if they do, since they can't use words, would they think in barks? lol

Dogs don't think in barks any more than you think in words. It might seem that most of your thought is verbal, but a large amount of it isn't.

Example:
In your mind, visualise a car. BAM! You have just thought of a number of things, probably including colour, body shape and perhaps even a specific make and model. Unless it is your intention to explain the car you just visualised to me, there wouldn't have been any words there. Thinking in language is an illusion. The trick is that language is usually what we're paying attention to.

On the topic of what animalistic thought is like, here's another exercise. Imagine yourself being chased by a predator. Tearing through the woods with a single focus: outrun the large, toothed, dangerous monster that pursues you. You're terrified, and are simply running as fast as you can. You're moving at top speed, dodging and weaving between trees and bushes. There is no time for logic or calculation, just being and preserving your own existence. Imagine that you're in this situation, then carefully remove the element of the predator. You simply are: you can see/hear/smell/touch the world around you, but aren't busy trying to logically process anything, or verbalise your thoughts.

Last edited:
so they are essentially incapable of retrieving memories and thinking about the future? are they capable of visual memory? and i doubt u will have an answer for this, but, what do dogs dream about??

^ I too, am absolutely fascinated to know just how much victory our species, or any other on planet Earth, will ultimately achieve over chaos, a.k.a. Vishnu the destroyer, a.k.a. Eris, Discordia.

Chaos is the cutting edge of order - well that''s how I see it, they're interdependent and in the final analysis subjective representations of the same thing.

I feel there is a connection between fractals and eastern philosophy but I can't put my finger on it.

^maybe the connection is your head (literally, since brains need to construct realities; nadn reality is very fractalike)

How about one is an inversion of the other or failing that - eat more doughnuts

^ I would as well - nice & hot freshly baked.

I feel there is a connection between fractals and eastern philosophy but I can't put my finger on it.
maybe all that psychedelic artwork..? and yeah, ^ exploration of the mind

I present this conundrum to the parlour room because it blows my mind, and I have yet to figure it out.

How can depressing music make me exceedingly happy? I have plenty of examples you probably don't want to hear. Dark ambient (like Lustmord, Maëror Tri, Stijn van Cauter), noise (Merzbow, Masonna), death metal/grind (Carcass), black metal (read these lyrics and imagine what the music sounds like).

Really though, paradoxical reaction to music? What gives?

I don't like being depressed or sad, I like being happy. I think what would make most people feel "sad" or "unhappy" or nails on a chalk board cringing, would make me happy, or satisfied.

is it the dark lyrics or the dark mood of the music that makes you happy?

if the latter, i think music can't be "dark" to whatever part of our brain responds to music with the "music high"... music is music. familiarity and getting used to the rhythm are important but not the lyrics or what we'd interpret the "mood to be"

it's a bunch of notes that cause a happiness/high reaction in the brain. saying they're dark is like saying random radio wave music from the sun or stars is "dark". it might make sense emotionally in our environment but it's only part of our particular environment in our head

is it the dark lyrics or the dark mood of the music that makes you happy?
100% music. I ignore the lyrics in most music I listen to (good lyrics would be like Agalloch - The Mantle, wonderful release) - but most metal's lyrics are indifferent or unnecessary, and a fair bit of my music is instrumental.

if the latter, i think music can't be "dark" to whatever part of our brain responds to music with the "music high"... music is music. familiarity and getting used to the rhythm are important but not the lyrics or what we'd interpret the "mood to be"
Noise is technically not considered to be music though but I listen to it and memorize parts of it like I would music.

it's a bunch of notes that cause a happiness/high reaction in the brain. saying they're dark is like saying random radio wave music from the sun or stars is "dark". it might make sense emotionally in our environment but it's only part of our particular environment in our head
"Dark" is probably the wrong term for it, but it's what other people would see it/call it as.

I listen to almost exclusively 'dark' music (industrial, breakcore, hardcore, and 'death metal', and then idm...post-rock...etc.). Most would call it sad or angry, but it rather evokes a positive emotion that we don't have a word for. I don't really listen to lyrics either.

2 words, blue n redemption

idk
2 minus makes a plus
-1 - 1 = "hit me with music"

One good thing about music, when it hits you (you feel no ...) feel no pain