• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The Cigarette Thread

You would save even more money if you quit smoking. It is a pointless addiction and an unfair drain on the public health system.

Just wondering what's a useful addiction then? Smoking is legal and everyone who is over 18 has the right to smoke if they wish to, bad luck if it's a drain on the public health system. Maybe take it up with the government instead of telling someone what you think about their addiction(s).

CUSTOMS has admitted there may be delays for smokers entering Australia as they get used to new limits on the number of duty-free cigarettes that can be brought into the country.

From today, travellers will be able to bring in only 50 cigarettes or 50 grams of tobacco.

The previous limit was 250 cigarettes or 250g of tobacco.

The change was announced in the May budget.

Smokers who declare excess tobacco themselves can either abandon the additional product or pay duty and GST on the lot.

Those caught exceeding the limit will have to pay duty and GST on everything or dump it all.

GST is 10%, and I don't know what the duty part is.

A useful addiction is one where the pure enjoyment of the drug itself is desired. Tobacco addiction is the opposite, it is the bodies desire to return to "normal" that drives the addiction.

Yeah, even tho the benefits aren't much at all and the dangers of prolonged use are huge, it's a personal choice, and a legal one.

Is it any wonder millions of people smoke? A cigarette helps calm us down and even lose weight. The problem is, once a lot of us start smoking, we can't stop. The habit's addictive!

Of course it's not healthy to smoke alot of tobacco and keep on smoking for prolonged periods of your life, we all know this nowadays but some people can also also keep that addiction at bay and are what is sometimes referred to as a social smoker, often not having any bad effects or ongoing issues with health from it at all. Especially if they lead an active lifestyle and exercise alot and eat alot of healthy foods. I know a few people like this. And like everyone, I know plenty of people who smoke way too much, and like many people, also know people who have died from smoking related illness. Same with alcohol, it can be very addictive and dangerous if used too much or too frequently, but some people can limit their usage whilst on the other side it can kill some people and they can be lifelong alcoholics.

I'm not trying to argue for tobacco products, but this is just the way it is, smoking, alcohol, meth, gambling, eating loads of shitty fast food, even drinking loads of coffee and or eating lots of sugar can be dangerous or detrimental, but we all know this, and sometimes our brains can't just give something up unfortunately, otherwise big tobacco would probably not be in the positions they are now and making so much money off people who are so highly addicted and yes costing the public health system money as well. Some people can give up tho of course, and that's great. if your comment was meant as a positive suggestion for the OP to be careful of their health, then excuse my earlier post, but still everyone has the right to smoke or eat as much garbage as they like etc etc.

MaryP0pins I merged your thread into this existing one, I feel as though this thread is pretty much appropriate for all questions regarding cigarettes and there is no need for two threads. :)

A useful addiction is one where the pure enjoyment of the drug itself is desired. Tobacco addiction is the opposite, it is the bodies desire to return to "normal" that drives the addiction.

That's actually bullshit, man.

I know that there are plenty of people out there who smoke and want to quit, and well, it sucks to be them.
I've quit before, and I will again. I smoke because I like smoking, and I've quit just to prove to myself that I can.

If we're going to talk about addiction, the enjoyment of the drug is no longer pure, it is tainted by addiction. Addiction is about the incessant need for x on a daily basis.
That inherent need is the issue, not the drug. With cigarettes, you can always drive to a servo and get them. No problems, no questions asked.
Going to grab some shard, or even some smack, which takes less toll on your body than alcohol, is still a much harder habit/routine/lifestyle to add to your existence/demeanour.

Just because you only smoke to stop yourself from craving a smoke, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there who smoke to smoke, to get out of that 'normal' state of mind.

Also, just as a side note, to try and make this post a little more on topic, tobacco does affect quite some receptors.
One reason I think smoking might have the effect is does could be from the increase of GABA

The irony of a group of people campaigning for personal rights and freedom when they are slaves to corporations such as Phillip Morris and BA Tobacco is amusing. At least you can vote out or over throw a tyranical government. If this was a nicotine thread it might hold some weight. Some studies suggest that nicotine itself is not addictive, it is only when the MAOI effects of the other additives are combined that a significant behavioral sensitization is produced. Otherwise patches and gum would be all that is required to successfully quit or feed an addiction. http://www.jneurosci.org/content/25/38/8593

The direct effects of nicotine increases heart rate and blood pressure, neither of which would be considered stress relief. Rather the calming effects of cigarettes is feeding a withdrawn brain in stress it's desired chemical. This is a subtle difference to a brain that is craving a particular high such as from amphetamine.

Even as a smoker I have never found cigarettes to give any calming effects, in fact quite the opposite. It is only when I smoke tobacco cones and that is relaxing in the same sense of high dose IV methamphetamine is relaxing. I only ever smoke with other drugs now, so I quite often go without.

Either way, One Thousand Words, studies still show that smokers are less stressed than non-smokers :p

That's probably because the nonsmokers are worried about being struck by lightening or attacked by a shark. Smokers just know they are going to die from either heart attack, stroke or lung cancer ;)

Budget 2013: Cigarette prices to rise from 2014

THE price of a packet of cigarettes will rise by about seven cents from next year.

The increase will see the Government face a potential re-election tussle with tobacco companies and retailers, who are still smarting over plain packaging laws.

Cigarettes were the only sin tax targeted by Treasurer Wayne Swan's big-cutting Budget. Last year's Budget saw an increase on taxes on beer and cut the number of duty free cigarettes Australians could bring home after travelling overseas.

The duty free cuts last year were set to raise $175 million by 2015.

A packet of 25 cigarettes will be seven cents more expensive from the first half of 2014, after a change in indexation that sees tobacco excise keep pace with salary rises. Budget papers did not reveal how much this would raise.

While the Budget didn't contain any changes to how big betting companies are taxed, the Government did pledge to spend $ 5.4million over four years to establish and operate the Australian Gambling and Research Centre from July.

This will see the creation of an independent research body within the Australian Institute of Family Studies which will study the effects of gambling on the community and seek effective harm reduction strategies.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/money/federa...14/story-fn84fgcm-1226642446948#ixzz2TJl0sGau

7 whole cents?! :p

Honestly I don't smoke cigarettes anymore, mainly due to getting no effect from them. I started smoking tobacco cones (affectionately known as baccy bongs) about 6 months ago and I honestly would say I'm addicted. Whenever a close friend hands me a cigarette now I empty the tobacco into my little baccy baggie in my wallet and keep it for later. I'm on to 8-10 baccy bongs a day now, depending on what tobacco I have on me; more if I've only got tobacco squeezed out of tailors, less if I've got a nice pouch of Port Royal or Champion Ruby.

The headrush from a good bong and well packed cone of baccy is indescribable. When I'm on other drugs I'll use it just like other people use poppers; to hit that next plateau for a few minutes. And not to mention music sounds absolutely magical while you're laying down after a good baccy, trying to catch your breath and not think about the inevitable lung/oral cancer.

I know a few people who do that, just smoke tobacco thru the bong, I wonder if u can still get busted for drug paraphernalia if u just use a bong for Baccy and never weed?

Not sure about the actual legality of it, but I've had my bag searched while shroom picking. I had no actives on me but I did have a bong, and when I (truthfully) told him I just do tobacco through it he actually laughed. I showed him my pouch and offered to show him how I do it, he wasn't having any of it though. ;P He did a more thorough search of my bag and didn't find any ganja so he let me off.

Again, not sure on the actual legality of it in regards to paraphernalia but this particular time I had no worries. :D

yeah hehe cool. Atleast they didnt bust you for it like they did with the guy who made a thread about cannabis caution and only had a vap on him at the time. He got a caution for just having the vap. I guess it depends on the cops at the time.

7 whole cents
Yeah it's not much really, but that rounded up is 10 cents and it will surely go up again, the prices have risen alot in the last 5 or more years so I guess it will just keep on happening in stages. At least this time they havent increased beer, which has also gone up and up and up in what seems to me to be dramatic amounts in the last 5+ yrs.

That's probably because the nonsmokers are worried about being struck by lightening or attacked by a shark. Smokers just know they are going to die from either heart attack, stroke or lung cancer ;)

I always pick the box that shows an excerpt on Cervical cancer or the dangers of pregnancy.

Hmmm
I've started smoking tobacco through the bong! It's because I'm not allowed to smoke indoors. It's a fu king nasty thing to start doing.. Started off as little ones every now and then..now it's massive cones every other minute..

Really got stop doing this as I'm sure it's no good for you ! Even got my GF doing it. NASTY. Hope I kick it soon.

It's at the point where I'm waking up mid sleep and ripping em.

Gross aye :p

It may be due to the fact that I stopped smoking weed as much.. From like 4grams a day for sooo long to half gram 2-3times a week.also i have habit to opiates that i have to buy :(

Edit: I dead set didn't read the above mention of the Infamous bakky bongs
Glad it not just me! Still I've takn it too far an needs to stop ;)

Btw I smoke rollie weed this way. I I get a tailor I try and save for weed. Brings us too another point. I don't think I'm getting as stoned as I should when I do have green..since bakybonging heavy.
More tar to get through I dare say

Last edited:
Hey, don't worry. Plain packaging laws = easy cheap chop chop for the criminals ( no need to emulate difficult designs). We should make this go further, turn our currency notes,even though other countries think we have it right, let's turn them into A4 paper - black and white with no minimum resolution required. Who'd want to give the government, which looks after the rich and ignores the poor any tax money anyway? If they wanted/needed more tax revenue they would close the tax loopholes which allow the these companies (such as Google, Apple and any other company in Australia which makes a shitload off us but pays almost no tax) to pay their fair share. All they need is a night out at an expensive restaraunt, a handshake and us tax payers get fucked.

What ordinary Australians care about foreign companies rorting our tax system for billions of tax dollars? None. They're more interested in ihow maby boats Tony has sent back (doesn't matter that he broke Indonesian law by not allowing hournalists from Indonesia to attend, or his 1 week only press conferences which, if anyone speaks out of turn or asks a real question they're barred from asking questions for life) Aaaaah. Democracy at work.

I think we should vote in Sacha Baron Cohen and have a dictatorship. We'd be better off.

Anyone here tried the Peter Stuyvesant RYOs?
I read that blue has oriental/turkish tobacco in the blend, and I've missed camels. I know they wouldn't taste like camels.
I also read that red has cherry cavendish in the blend?????
I don't want a whole pouch of it if it tastes like their tailors.. everyone else seems to love them but they do nothing for me

I'll probably just get dr. pat

This thread needed a bump