• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

The Celebrity/Famous Figures Drug Thread

I dont think Aristotle used drugs, if he did let me know, one of my odd areas of interests in philosophers (academic types now) and their drug uses.

Michel Foucault smoked a lot of hash and opium, hated booze. William James is pretty famous for his nitrous xide experiments, and his student, Gertrude Stein, was a massive hash head.

Louis Armstrong was a chronic pothead for about 70 years.

^^wow, never knew that about louis armstrong. i guess you do learn something new everyday.

Herman Hesse
George Wahington? (argueable, but he segregated psychoactive hemp for his other crops, so possible)
Stephen Crane
Miles Davis
Bill Gates
Coltraine
William Burroughs
Ray Charles
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Charles Dickens(even tho I hate his books)
Alexander Dumas
Thomas Edison
WILLIAM JAMES(Harvard's one well known psych guy)
Sir Walter Scott
Robert Louis Stevenson
Jules Verne

Last edited:
fungus44 said:
Michel Foucault smoked a lot of hash and opium, hated booze. William James is pretty famous for his nitrous xide experiments, and his student, Gertrude Stein, was a massive hash head.

Louis Armstrong was a chronic pothead for about 70 years.

Foucault took acid fairly late in life as well, said it was one of the best days of his life.

Freud: Coke, Heroin
Arthur Conan Doyle: Opium
George Bush: Coke, Marijuana (he never exhaled, though)

high on stemz-nseeds said:
My comment: this thread will be closed.

My comment on the subject: They got the money, why not get high sometimes? Then sometimes can become all the time.. if its cocaine their lives will be destroyed, if its opiates, then they will be fine as long as they have a constant supply.

Not entirely true. Look at Jack Nicholson! He most likely still uses coke.

John Lennon - smack, speed, coke...
when he went solo were the only drugs he really used

David Bowie - cocaine, duh!

Rick James - Cocaine and Mairjuana

Rob Zombie - if I remember right just mainly LSD most frequently when he was in white zombie

Marilyn Manson - I'm guessing every drug lol, and he still seems to have it all together for the most part

Dali (Various Psychedelics)
"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
Salvador Dali
Bill Gates (LSD)
"I wish him [Bill Gates] the best, I really do. I just think he and Microsoft are a bit narrow. He'd be a broader guy if he had dropped acid once or gone off to an ashram when he was younger." Steve Jobs

Charles Beaudelaire wrote a compilation of poems called "paradis artificiels" (artificial heavens)

ryanuberalles said:
BF Skinner

...2? Don't like to give them all too much credit---they're psych department is held in way to high esteem compared to the rest of the really good psych schools...but yea they're like---alright at that psych stuff;)

hashish2020 said:

Miles Davis
Bill Gates
Coltraine
Ray Charles
Thomas Edison

what'd they use?

hashish2020 said:
...2? Don't like to give them all too much credit---they're psych department is held in way to high esteem compared to the rest of the really good psych schools...but yea they're like---alright at that psych stuff;)

Erhm, whaddaya mean? Behavioural psychology? Not much of that actually in use today, mostly seen as a stepping stone, much as psychoanalysis is.

And what are the "really good psych" schools? Cognitive therapy-based?

Camus: wrote all his major works on the phets. He was an addict - used his art as an excuse for doing insane amounts of amphetamine. As did Kerouac, JFK, and others that I'm too drunk to mention.

BlackOut said:
Erhm, whaddaya mean? Behavioural psychology? Not much of that actually in use today, mostly seen as a stepping stone, much as psychoanalysis is.

And what are the "really good psych" schools? Cognitive therapy-based?

Cognitive neuroscience, plain and simple.

Really good psych schools?

UCLA, McGill, UCSF (for more neurosciences), UCB, NYU, Stanford, UMich

Alot of the Ivies (perhaps not Cornell or UPenn, and Yale is holding up well on the clinical/therapy angle) have fallen way behing the leading edge in research and publishing

John Belushi
Belushi was a heavy cocaine user through most of his adult life. Right at the end of his life, he began using heroin. His death is widely attributed to a speedball overdose but it was likely a cocaine overdose.

David Bowie
A heavy cocaine and occasional heroin user.

William S. Burroughs
Burroughs was the father of the "beat" movement with books like Junkie and The Naked Lunch.

Kurt Cobain
Kurt Cobain is a tragic figure in the heroin subculture. Most people think that drugs killed him, but in the end it seems more likely that he was killed by the intolerance of those around him who could not come to terms with his drug use.

Miles Davis
Miles Davis was one of the inventors of cool jazz.

Thomas De Quincy
The writer of Confessions of an English Opium Eater was an opium addict for almost fifty years--the William S. Burroughs of his day!

Robert Downey, Jr.
The most oppressed man in America?

Ben Franklin
This founding father was known to occasionally use opium recreationally.

Jerry Garcia
Although the Grateful Dead are strongly associated with psychedelics--especially LSD--Garcia used heroin on and off throughout most of his adult life. His death is often attributed to "heroin overdose" like the death the just about any famous heroin user. Garcia was a chain-smoker who was also quite over-weight and in poor overall health. This is undoubtably the primary reason for his death: general system failure. The official causes was heart failure which he experienced at a rehab clinic.

Boy George
He wasn't a junkie for long, but he has some good stories about being an addict.

Herman Goering
Goering became a morphine addict in WWI because of an injury. He stayed addicted to morphine for the rest of his life. In WWI, he was an ace pilot with 22 confirmed "kills". Under Hitler, he was the commander of the Nazi air force (Luftwaffe). He was so liked by Hitler, that Hitler named him his successor; various failures during WWII, however, caused him to fall out of favor with the Nazi leader who used him publicly as a scapegoat for war troubles. Goering is most remembered as the leader of the Luftwaffe, but he is an excellent example of how little a problem opioid addiction is, when the opioid is legal and readily available. Goering was found guilty of war crimes after WWII and sentenced to hang--he killed himself before the sentence could be carried out.

Billie Holiday
Billie Holiday was one of the greatest singers of this century. But like many great artists the US government treated her very poorly.

Love
Love was the psychedelic version of the Velvet Underground. In it's original incarnation, it did not last long but still managed to produce two of the greatest rock albums ever.

Bela Lugosi
"Dracula" spent a decade plus addicted to morphine and methadone.

Charlie Parker
Probably the greatest sax player of all time, Parker was also a life-long heroin addict.

Edgar Allan Poe
Since Poe died before heroin was invented, he clearly never used heroin. It is well-documented, however, that he used opium with some regularity.

Elvis Presley
You doubt us? You doubt that the king of rock-n-roll was a junkie? We'll provide you with the facts--you can decide for yourself. Also check out the strange story of Elvis and Nixon.

Keith Richards
We'll get around to dealing with him soon enough.

Tom Sizemore
You may remember him as the sick cop who kills a prostitute in Natural Born Killers. The word is that he is now off smack. The story goes that Robert De Niro showed up on Tom's doorstep one morning with Tom's mom to confront him about his heroin use (I'm so touched my eyes are getting all watery). One telling has De Niro threatening to turn Sizemore into the police for "heroin use" which may be true even though heroin use is not illegal--De Niro wouldn't necessarily know this fine point of law. I wrote a short rant about how I would like to see him playing fewer cops.

James Taylor
The prototypical "singer/songwriter" of the 1970s was an on again, off again heroin user.

^^^
Stolen from heroinhelper.com

psychetool said:
William S. Burroughs
Burroughs was the father of the "beat" movement with books like Junkie and The Naked Lunch.

Hardly the father. Kerouac coined the word "beat", but later disowned the term because it had become a hype word. And btw, it was Kerouac who came up with the title for "naked lunch" and he was the one who actually encouraged Bourroughs to write in the first place.

Originally posted by hashish2020

Miles Davis
Bill Gates
Coltraine
Ray Charles
Thomas Edison

Originally posted by Kandy K
what'd they use?

Miles Davis, Ray Charles, Coltraine and Billie Holiday all used heroin.

I think you guys are mistaking Bill Gates with Steve Jobs, creator of Apple.