• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Diphenhydramine Thread

Hi, this is my first time posting, so bear with me. Im not sure if this is the right thread, but I had a hard time figuring this out... SWIM is tired of paying for heroin, and is searching for a pill/medicine that is readily available w/o a prescription that produces similar effects. Obviousely, SWIM knows that any easily purchased drug from a pharmacy wont have near the intensity as that of h, but was just wondering if anything, if taken in high enough doses, could produce a similar blanket of warmth and serenity. Thanks alot!

LOL Ondine! ;)
Hi, this is my first time posting, so bear with me. Im not sure if this is the right thread, but I had a hard time figuring this out... SWIM is tired of paying for heroin, and is searching for a pill/medicine that is readily available w/o a prescription that produces similar effects. Obviousely, SWIM knows that any easily purchased drug from a pharmacy wont have near the intensity as that of h, but was just wondering if anything, if taken in high enough doses, could produce a similar blanket of warmth and serenity. Thanks alot!
I hear oxymorphone might be a match for you... it is just as illegal as heroin here in germany though, think it can be prescribed in the usa. over here your best bet to get a prescription for srtong opioids would be seeking a pain therapist, (assuming you are in pain ofc and be warned: it can be quit the odyssey) not sure how to go at it in the usa or whereever you are.

Once on DPH I kept falling asleep and drifting into another situation, only to be awoken abruptly jolting up and gasping for air like it was my last breath. happened for over an hour over and over and over again

never again

Cool visuals but DPH had me terrified because I kept expecting death from seizures and forgetting to breathe much like you.

IN REFERENCE TO THE ORIGINAL POST:

My experience with diphenhydramine is as follows:

in and of itself for recreational and/or "trip" value?
Utter shit!

However, I do use it in increments of 75mg-125mg, four to five times daily. Every time I dose buprenorphine & butalbital I immediately proceed with it with diphenhydramine. I use 1mg of bupe four times daily; followed by anywhere from 200mg-900mg of butalbital roughly 15-30 minutes after taking bupe (i take butalbital four times daily as well).

I usually take an extra 75mg-100mg of diphenhydramine at night (not coinciding with dosing bupe or butalbital) & I have noticed the following benefits:
--it greatly increases the effects of buprenorphine AND butalbital
--it gives me a feeling I can only describe as "light" and "heady", not unlike benzodiazepines; an effect the barbiturate I take daily (butalbital) lacks
--sedation
--minor anxiolytic effects

However I have noticed some detrimental effects from my diphenhydramine use:
--tolerance to the sedative & the minor anxiolytic effects occur relatively rapidly
--while the antagonism at H1 sub-receptors & anti-nauseated effects are said to last 24 hours, the sedation & minor anxiolytic effects last only 3-6 hours
--ataxia
--i have experienced marked withdrawal when immediately stopping diphenhydramine use (but while still taking my normal barbiturate & opioid doses)
--the withdrawal I experience includes insomnia, minor flu-like symptoms, excessive perspiration, decrease in buprenorphine effects, & to a lesser degree a decrease in barbiturate effects (butalbital)

My sweet spot is 300mg and I don't get delusional, just patterns n such. Completely impared visopn if trying to read. I've taken up to 700mg diphen at once. No more visual effects than 300mg. Everything above 300mg adds anxiety and that's all. I find that it increases mucus production too making it hard to swallow. This has lead to panic, but only when lying down.

It amazes me that packs of diphenhydramine 'sleep aids' don't come with a big, bold, italicized warning that overdose, even by as little as one tablet if one had 50mg strength pills and a certain ...nervous sensitivity, can produce experiences so unpleasant they make you wonder if those drug education teachers were telling the truth when they told you that taking drugs would lead you to eating your own dog's eyeballs.

I've bought three packs of the stuff in the past couple of weeks, and not once did the pharmacist, or assistant, warn against taking too much. Mind you, none of them knew what diphenhydramine even was. Which is no crime, but if you're working in a Chemist, you should probably have some familiarity with the products you supply.

DPH is one terrifying drug. One experience I had with 650 mg in particular was very strange: after the heavy body load hit me, I was getting mild vertigo and nausea, which was uncommon for me.
So I reacted like I would if I were sober, and I took a shower, which helped quite a bit! (Turning off the shower was the worst part though, took me 10 seconds to figure it out) But as soon
as I left the shower I was FREEZING, I was so cold I couldn't think straight (or perhaps that was the DPH?:p), I had to quickly stumble into my room and wrap myself in the cobwebbed blanket in my room. It took several minutes
before I felt warm, it was one of the worst feelings.

Pharmacists who don't know me always (!) ask me if I know how to dose them. But seriously, if you are the type of moron that will eat 13 pills you probably shouldn't be handling any medication on your own at all. Eating 10g Paracetamol will kill a lot of people (it's about the LD50 if I'm not mistaken). I've seen people eat more than that cause it just doesn't do shit when you're in the middle of a neuropathic shitstorm or whatever other pain that Paracetamol won't handle. A lot of people die of Paracetamol od's and liver failure and you're probably right that education in this field is lacking. Right now, I really wouldn't trust anyone with any meds in a package size above a deadly dose, noone who hasn't enjoyed such education. But then again, if you eat 15 allergy pills that really deserves some form of punishment lol.

I've done a few psychedelics, dissociatives and sleeping pills so I know how strong trippy drugs can be, anyway i think benadryl sounds like something a 15 year old who doesn't understand the power of deliriants would do.
I also hate spiders lol

Wow never knew diphenhydramine had its own B&D thread! Icky stuff! :p

That spider picture gave me the hee-bee-jeebees!

Last edited:
I've done a few psychedelics, dissociatives and sleeping pills so I know how strong trippy drugs can be, anyway i think benadryl sounds like something a 15 year old who doesn't understand the power of deliriants would do.
I also hate spiders lol
Nah some people actually enjoy these delirium-like states for what they are. It is one of the only territories in the drug realm i have not personally ventured to, because i never had an opportunity or when i did it simply did not work. nonetheless, i sometimes enjoy my nightmares for their sheer wickedness, i also enjoyed the only paranoid delusional episode i had. that was drug induced, lasted less than day and had me out to save the world from ending that day while guys with dogs were chasing me through the woods. i looked like a mess afterwards, but foun my way back into reality. since then ive always appreciated this experience and im sure if i was properly sealed off from public an anticholinergic delirium might be very interesting as well.
it just isnt anything that you can just drop and enjoy. it requires a very particular interest in the experience id assume and should not be expected to be euphoric or pleasant in the classical sense. just really dark and twisted lol.

btw this is almost how i feel about mxe. that stuff just has no recreational potential for me, despite me being a HUGE ketamine and pcp fan. it just makes me feel nothingness where colorful visions of my subconscious would be expected with other dissociatives. plus, during that nothingness my mood was usually on the bad side. i tried dosing it in countless ways, varying roa's, dosages and combinations, it just always sucked balls and made me dizzy as hell. just very unenjoyable. weird how most people really enjoyed the stuff.

IN REFERENCE TO THE ORIGINAL POST:
--i have experienced marked withdrawal when immediately stopping diphenhydramine use (but while still taking my normal barbiturate & opioid doses)
--the withdrawal I experience includes insomnia, minor flu-like symptoms, excessive perspiration, decrease in buprenorphine effects, & to a lesser degree a decrease in barbiturate effects (butalbital)
very interesting. i noticed it can alleviate the nightly sweats and insomnia i get from ceasing to use pot to some degree.

I've bought three packs of the stuff in the past couple of weeks, and not once did the pharmacist, or assistant, warn against taking too much. Mind you, none of them knew what diphenhydramine even was. Which is no crime, but if you're working in a Chemist, you should probably have some familiarity with the products you supply.
maybe the way you requested the medication made it seem as if you knew what you were doing? Or maybe he assumed you are abusing it? Either way, it is no good reason for not mentioning any sort of dosing regimen at all, eventhough it should be on the package insert as well. mine sometimes just mumble sth like "ye i know youre aware of how this is used" without really asking or telling me anything, just making sure they did their job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diphenhydramine and It's Hallucinogenic Effetcs

Not sure if this belongs here or whether it belongs in another dimension of Bluelight, so please Moderators move this at your will.

However I wish to discuss the Hallucinogenic effects of Diphenhydramine.

My personal experience with this drug has been purely auditory hallucinations with mild stimulation and some visual movements and change. Now I know Diphenhydramine is a deliriant and that it produces such effects but it seems to be a little more then that. So I was hoping to maybe get some peoples opinion and some experiences to lend me a little light on the subject.

1. . . 2. . . 3. . . GO!

My experience with this substance has always been pretty scary. Giant cockroaches chillin in the middle of my room, spiders pouring out of the sink. When I did it however I was in the 750-800 mg range.

I've had many many differing experiences with diphenhydramine. at lower doses (250-300mg) I found it pretty enjoyable if I had enough stimulation to keep me from dozing off; music was nice, fun patterns behind the eyelids, that sort of thing. the higher up you go tho, the sleepiness factor becomes much more pronounced. highest I ever went was somewhere around 800-900mg. I had loads of auditory and visual hallucinations, both of which were at times quite frightening and difficult to distinguish from reality. at one point I was on a walk around my neighborhood (not advisable btw) and I had several encounters with people and vehicles I later realized where never there. later in the evening I can even recall having whole conversations with more nonexistent people in my bedroom. most certainly an interesting and scary night. never stopped me from doing it more tho...

My experience with this substance has always been pretty scary. Giant cockroaches chillin in the middle of my room, spiders pouring out of the sink. When I did it however I was in the 750-800 mg range.

I would also tend to see large bugs/cockroaches crawling all over the floor n walls and such whenever I took it. freaky as all hell

Thanks, I always forget to fuckin look shit up before I post. I just tend to get distracted and forget about that sorta shit.

See I never have had full blown hallucinations. The only real thing is the auditory aspect. Hearing things that aren't there, sounds morphing and changing, echos. That sort of thing.

See I never have had full blown hallucinations. The only real thing is the auditory aspect. Hearing things that aren't there, sounds morphing and changing, echos. That sort of thing.

what kind of doses have you been taking? I notice the auditory part whenever I trip on the stuff (main reason I like it, makes electronic music VERY interesting) but I've only ever seen anything that wasn't there above like 500-600mg