• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Basic Mescaline/Cactus Questions Thread - Round Two!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny1 said:
I have some good-quality dried Peruvian Torch cactus chips from South America. They have been stored for three years in a plastic bag in the dark, in a dry environment that ranges from 60 - 95 degrees F.

Does anyone know if they are still potent? If so, how long will they retain their potency? Could the alkaloids change over time in such a way that the experience would be negatively impacted?

Thanks for any advice! =D

I had cactus stored in a closet for over a year that didnt loose any potency. Ive heard cacti would be fine in average storage for hundreds of years.

Phenethylamine salts tend to be very stable indeed... and mescaline is no exception. I think your cactus chips will be just fine. :)

grimble crumble said:
extremely variable, but ide recomend anywhere from 25-50 grams dried, you can judge from there. if your more worried about dosing under than dosing too much stay towards the 40 gramish mark if your worried about venturing to far stay towards the 30 gramish mark

thanks for the response.
im dealing with cactus extract though, not dried cactus.
40 grams of the extract would probably kill me.

i think im going to go with 350-400mg the first time to test the water and then guage my future doses from that.

I had cactus stored in a closet for over a year that didnt loose any potency. Ive heard cacti would be fine in average storage for hundreds of years

I think there were even some samples of peyote a few thousand years old which still contained mescaline...

I have a question, after a san pedro A/B extraction, what percent (by weight) of the resulting powder is mescaline? I am not sure what the ratio is of mescaline to the other phenethylamines (and tyramine etc).

Delsyd said:
thanks for the response.
im dealing with cactus extract though, not dried cactus.
40 grams of the extract would probably kill me.

i think im going to go with 350-400mg the first time to test the water and then guage my future doses from that.

ahh yes just read your post again, my mistake lol good thing you didnt go garble down 40grams of extract lmao.

340-400mg sounds about right.

you ever use mescaline before delsyd? Ive seen quite a few posts that (and also judging by the avatar) show your an LSD lover. Ive always wanted to hear an avid acid users first time on mesc.

Last time I experienced mescaline was a couple months ago, I ordered 2 feet of fresh San Pedro and prepared it by boiling the green flesh for a little over 12 hours, a large portion of this time was actually just simmering rather than boiling since I couldn't watch over it for that long. Long story short, I shared the dose with my girlfriend and we each had a pleasant experience, cool visuals if I really concentrated on something, letters on posters twisting and morphing, but all in all not nearly as intense as I'd like. Well, I have 200 grams of peruvian torch powder on the way and we are taking it on a camping trip this time. First question, I definently would rather just take the powder in juice or water instead of the lengthy preparation used for the fresh San Pandro, not a lot of stove access in the woods. Will I get the same alkaloid content this way? Is the tea preparation to increase potency or just make it easier to ingest? Also, I want a full blown balls to the wall psychadelic experience so I imagine about 50 grams should do it, I'd rather trip "too hard" than not enough. Any advice? Is this a good plan?:\

I saw some san pedro "extract" online...

That's illegal...isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about "extract". What I purchased was torch powder, of course sold as incense, I know that dried powder is hard to find on e-commerce web sites nowadays but apparently some are less restrictive. I hope that doesn't count as naming a source, if so I apologize and will delete reference.
Second I thought I'd just edit and delete exact name anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am planning on doing a second San Pedro trip in a few weeks since my first trip was great. :) So my thoughts were to consume 200-250 mg of Mescaline on this trip, I can order 3 x 6-8 cm long, 3 cm diameter, 45 gr cacti or one 20-25 cm long, 3,5 cm diameter, 105 gr cactus (both types are fresh, not dried).

The shop I am going to buy them from has a bit of info about dosages and cactus-mescaline ratio:

Fresh cactus to mescaline ratio
400 g contains about 480 mg mescaline - 0.12% mescaline per gram of cactus (according to Schultes & Hofmann)
400 g contains about 200 - 300 mg mescaline - 0.05 - 0.075% mescaline per gram of cactus (according to another source)

When taking cacti that have an average height of 15-20 cm, an average diameter of 3,5 cm, one to one and a half cactus should be enough for a light to moderate trip, two to two and a half cacti for a strong trip.

Now I have some questions since I am still a newbie when it comes to tripping ;)

1) - The amount of Mescaline in a cactus can vary greatly so my plan was to ingest 1.5 to 2 6-8 cm San Pedro or 1/2 20-25 cm San Pedro cactus, is this a good dose for a light to moderate trip?
2) - Does it matter how much someone weighs? I only weigh around 55 kg and my other friend that will be tripping with me is around 80 kg.
3) - Tripping outside or safely at home with visuals on TV + goa-trance?
4) - Any pre- or postloading or special things like an empty stomach?

That's about it, last time I only had 1/2 of a 6-8 cm cactus and had a light trip which was great, but I want a moderate one this time and don't have as much experience with the mighty San Pedro that other people on this forum have. :)

Thanks in advantage for the answers, I tried researching the cactus myself but I haven't been able to find the sweet-spot dosage and don't want to end up with ego loss and a 24 hour trip ;)

Peace o/

Rexeh said:
I am planning on doing a second San Pedro trip in a few weeks since my first trip was great. :) So my thoughts were to consume 200-250 mg of Mescaline on this trip, I can order 3 x 6-8 cm long, 3 cm diameter, 45 gr cacti or one 20-25 cm long, 3,5 cm diameter, 105 gr cactus (both types are fresh, not dried).

The shop I am going to buy them from has a bit of info about dosages and cactus-mescaline ratio:

Now I have some questions since I am still a newbie when it comes to tripping ;)

1) - The amount of Mescaline in a cactus can vary greatly so my plan was to ingest 1.5 to 2 6-8 cm San Pedro or 1/2 20-25 cm San Pedro cactus, is this a good dose for a light to moderate trip?
2) - Does it matter how much someone weighs? I only weigh around 55 kg and my other friend that will be tripping with me is around 80 kg.
3) - Tripping outside or safely at home with visuals on TV + goa-trance?
4) - Any pre- or postloading or special things like an empty stomach?

That's about it, last time I only had 1/2 of a 6-8 cm cactus and had a light trip which was great, but I want a moderate one this time and don't have as much experience with the mighty San Pedro that other people on this forum have. :)

Thanks in advantage for the answers, I tried researching the cactus myself but I haven't been able to find the sweet-spot dosage and don't want to end up with ego loss and a 24 hour trip ;)

Peace o/

beyond all that other stuff, I'd say outside on a sunny day for sure. nothing better than tripping balls in the bright sun w/ a few friends in the woods. get a blanket or camping chair and just chill =D

got myself a nice fat san pedro cutting 32cmx8cm and after a bit of reading I froze it after removing all the needle nodes to help break down the cells a bit and free up the alkaloids I assume.

I have now thawed it out and removed the skin. However when it thawed out about 700mls or so of yellowy/green fluid came out of the cactus, seems all the fluids in the cutting froze and dropped out of it when thawed out. So now I have a jug of this goo and a tub of cutting pieces that are alot smaller than b4 because much of the fluid has come out.

To extract the mescaline/alkaloids I was going to make it into a powder after freezing, and then use an isopropyl alcohol/water mix to wash with then evaporate this solution and be left with a browny paste I would expect. But now having so much fluid a powder seems a bit far off. I dont really want to have any boiling in my extraction because I think it may breakdown or damage the mescaline/alkaloids in the mix. Any ideas on that front?

what do people think I should do from here to make an extract?

I dont really want to have any boiling in my extraction because I think it may breakdown or damage the mescaline/alkaloids in the mix. Any ideas on that front?

Yep. You think wrong.

Unless you let it boil down and burn it, it's impossible to damage mescaline on a stovetop. You simply cannot get a high enough temperature.

whats the bp of it then? Im gonna have to boil some of this goo down there must be a litre of it. Anyone else have this after freezing then thawing em? seems all the fluids just drop out of it

Tomorrow I'm having my second mescaline trip, really looking forward to it =D

Well, I was lucky enough to come in to 1g of Mescaline HCL, my scale is currently on loan to a friend. I was just wondering, I just eyeball it (cut the pile in half) will I have a good time?

I'm a very experienced "psychonaut" and have tons of benzos on standby so I'm not worried about getting in over my head I just want to make sure I get the most out of it.

Any tips or advice?

Well, 500mg of mescaline is quite the high dose... I'm not sure you'd want to go that high. I suppose if any psychedelic could be eyeballed it would be mescaline. However, you have no guarantee that you really received a gram... it could be less or it could be more. The former would be annoying if you took less than intended, and the latter would be dangerous.

You really should wait until you get your scale back.

From Erowid:

The two most commonly produced synthetic forms of mescaline are mescaline hydrochloride and mescaline sulfate which have very similar dosages. Mescaline sulfate is 11% heavier than mescaline hydrochloride, meaning it takes 11% _more_ mescaline sulfate by weight to get the same effects as a certain amount of mescaline hydrochloride. [1]

It also states that 178 mg mescaline HCl = 200 mg mescaline sulfate. so HCl is roughly 10% stronger than sulfate. Maybe the following advice is dangerous or stupid so don't try this until someone else with more knowledge than me confirms this method: dissolve your gram into an amount of water (like 100 cl) so you should have a 1 mg/1 ml solution which you can measure, I don't know if this works but I have read it somewhere on this forum. Hope this helps :)

[1] - Erowid Mescaline vault: dosage

The liquid measurement (more info) idea is a good one, but you need to be absolutely sure you actually have a gram first. If you got it from a vendor, don't trust that it's a gram... even well-meaning vendors make plenty of mistakes. Often they will scoop some in and if it's over the amount by not too much they will just leave it and send you extra. Which is great if you have a scalem but if not, you will end up taking higher doses than intended if you don't use a scale. There are plenty of reports of vendors sending up to twice the amount ordered, although admittedly with something as rare as mescaline it's probably unlikely. But even if they sent 1.2 grams instead of 1, your dose could be an extra 100mg of mescaline, which is not something you want to be surprised by (especially if you're going for 500 and get 600).

If you got the gram from a friend or someone you personally know and you know they used an accurate scale, then you can feel free to use liquid measurement with confidence.

^I don't even trust my scales enough these days. But wouldn't a 1mg/ml solution be somewhat burdensome to drink....600mls for 600mg???

Status
Not open for further replies.