• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big and Dandy Scale Thread (First wave - archived 10-31-07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
xorkoth kindly pointed me in the direction of this here milligram scale on ebay for about 70 bucks...
jprecision-1.jpg

ill run a few tests on it as soon as it arrives and let you know.. im not counting on exact milligram accuracy. close enough will cut it, as i plan on using it primarily for 2c substances..

^

slopoke said:
^ i've used those scales and to be honest they are rubbish. I've had one pair which worked well but the rest have been dead on arrival or have just been mental. The latest pair i have only need 2 batteries (as opposed to 4) and will register twice what you actually want... Good job i checked the calibration weights or i'd have been having double doses of all my favourites....

I've also gone through two pairs of the scales that slopoke is on about pictured above. One never worked then the second set were flaky then eventually died. Dodgy as fuck, if I were to buy a new set of scales I'd invest in s decent pair.

sn0wburt0n said:
xorkoth kindly pointed me in the direction of this here milligram scale on ebay for about 70 bucks...
jprecision-1.jpg

ill run a few tests on it as soon as it arrives and let you know.. im not counting on exact milligram accuracy. close enough will cut it, as i plan on using it primarily for 2c substances..

I used that exact scale for some time and found it acceptable if I were careful.

juno nightmare said:
Does anybody have any information about this one:
http://balance.balances.com/scales/906

It seems good but i would like feedback if possible. I would be using it for RC's in the 15-30mg range.

I like the VIC123, but you have to be patient with it. It isn't portable and works best when it stays plugged in at all times and isn't moved.

I also used the second scale, the JPRecission 10 and found it to be useful. My opinion would be that for the money, the JPrecission would be better. Just expect to weigh your samples more than once because the readings can and probably will fluctuate just a little.

Both are good scales. Both scales work. Get the one you can afford more comfortably. Either scale is WAY better than no scale.

The JPrecision 10 looks to be the same scale rebranded that can be had for 25 dollars (shipped) on ebay.

I'd much rather spend 200 dollars for an accurate scale once than buy a few cheapies only to find out that I need to spend 200 dollars for an accurate scale.

But as it stands I cannot find any information anywhere that would indicate the cheap scale to be any less accurate than the expensive scale. I'm gonna get the cheapie and follow the instructions.

What we really need are some globally available materials that we can use to check the accuracy of our scales against each other.

BreakingSet said:
I used that exact scale for some time and found it acceptable if I were careful.

I use it and find it acceptable as well, for things with doses of 8mg and above, and where a little variation is no big deal. I have to be very careful, block all external stimuli, and weigh multiple times, though.

But still, for $70, I love it. It gets the job done, but as I said, it requires some patience and common sense.

I've gone through 3 scales and I'm not dissapointed. I got them extremely cheap. The first 2 were marked $80 and i got them for $5 each. The third one I got for free. Imma invest in a milligrams scale pretty soon.

Oh, and a neat trick to make sure your scale in on point.(If it weighs tenths of a gram.) A nickle will ALWAYS weigh 5g. Other coins weigh different but a nickle is NEVER off point, it has to be the scale if it's anything but 5g.

Heyoka said:
The JPrecision 10 looks to be the same scale rebranded that can be had for 25 dollars (shipped) on ebay.

I'd much rather spend 200 dollars for an accurate scale once than buy a few cheapies only to find out that I need to spend 200 dollars for an accurate scale.

But as it stands I cannot find any information anywhere that would indicate the cheap scale to be any less accurate than the expensive scale. I'm gonna get the cheapie and follow the instructions.

I use the VIC 123 at present, it replaces the JP10. I am telling you that you will not be unhappy with the JP10. The VIC 123 is a good scale but its touchy, you will spend a lot of time fighting it, a lot of time learning to use it, a lot of time learning to get the settings right. THe JP10, for the price, unless your clone for $25 is a lemon, will work from the moment you put batteries in it.

Thanks BreakingSet, I appreciate the recommend. Now if the company I bought the thing from would ship the damn thing. Still no shipping notice after a week.

BTW, personally I think scales are too large and diverse of a topic for a B&D thread to do anything but hide information. Scales are such a worthwhile piece of kit that I think they are worthy of a forum unto themselves or perhaps a forum devoted to drug related gear is needed. Especially considering that 5 years from now old models will be discontinued and new ones introduced. Even now, there is a new model milligram scale that is available on ebay for a price competitive with the JPrecision/Diamond/WeighMax clone scales. The scale appears to have a metal case and is marketed as a 4in1 pharmacy scale and priced about 30 dollars.

As a means of calibration and comparison, perhaps something like a J&B 1.0 rolling paper is ubiquitous enough (and consistently the same size) to provide an accurate reference weight for RC chems. Coins seem a bit on the heavy side.

MachineGunBallad said:
Anyone hear of Accura scales? I bought one for $80 CAD on e Bay and find it very well worth its price.

I was eyes this one too, others say it works ok with a tare weight, but I still dont feel like trusting it with RCs.

So what is the final word on the sub $200 scale? Tanita 1210-50 is the one to get for RCs?

Or should I go for the Acculab VIC-123? its on sale now, and seems more precise and robust than the Tanita?

Last edited:
Beings, as for the trust issue, I feel the same way but I've been unable to find any information that really shows that the tanita or the acculab are any more accurate than the cheap ebay scales. I mean, I'd hope that for ten times the price one would get a better scale but with somewhat good quality chinese goods available that just isn't something that can be assumed anymore.

I would like to mention that the company I bought the scale from STILL hasn't shipped the friggin thing and I paid for it 2 weeks ago. That really burns me since the ebay feedback system is just about worthless and supports sellers way more than buyers since sellers just don't leave feedback until buyers do. Sorry for the rant....

Beings said:
I was eyes this one too, others say it works ok with a tare weight, but I still dont feel like trusting it with RCs.

So what is the final word on the sub $200 scale? Tanita 1210-50 is the one to get for RCs?

Or should I go for the Acculab VIC-123? its on sale now, and seems more precise and robust than the Tanita?

If you want a portable scale, do not get the VIC123. If you cannot leave a scale plugged in and out in the open (ie if you're parents can't know you have a mg scale), don't get the VIC123. If you're impatient and don't like to get to know your equipment, don't get the VIC123.

The VIC123 is very accurate, it is also very finicky. It is not portable. I'm going to repeat myself. It isn't portable. Get the Tanita if you'll be hiding your scale or if you need a portable scale. I've heard that Tanita's are very good. I've also used a JPrecission, and they are good.

I also have a Mettler H10 that I used to test accuracy of my scales. The VIC123 reads .019, .020, .021 and rests longest on .020 when using a 20mg weight.

The Mettler H10 reads .0202. So the VIC123 is very accurate (+/- 1mg). THe JPrecission that I used to have read the same weight anywhere between .018 and .023. Multiple weighings were necessary and would fall in the .019 to .021 range most often. SO I found that scale acceptable as long as I weighed each sample a mimimum of 10 times, writing each number down.

A cheap scale is better than no scale and you get what you pay for. The VIC123 is not a high end milligram scale. Those cost thousands, and they still drift and are very tempermental.

The VIC123 has served me well for over a year now. Like BreakingSet said, it's not at all portable. But it is hands down the best scale i've ever used besides an analytical scale at a chem lab. Mine also came with a 100g calibration wieght. The capacity of the scale also makes it useful for a variety of other purposes besides RCs. All in all, i recommend it.

I'd just like to relate an experience I had with my Acculab VIC-123 tonight. I was having the darndest time with it drifting all over the place. My 10mg calibration reference was reading 7mg. It kept swinging up & down and I was cursing it to hell.

Then I remembered something BreakingSet had mentioned a few months back about AC stability, so I switched outlets and made sure the scale was the only thing plugged into it. The problem disappeared and my old friend Mr. Precise Scale reappeared.

It's an excellent unit for the money, but the user must ensure that AC power, temperature, and air currents are all reasonably under control.

Does anyone have any suggestions for improving the stability of the electrical current that comes out of my outlets?
I live in an old building and all of our lights flicker so I'm pretty sure we have uneven current. Is there a simple solution like plugging the scale into its own surge protector, or is there something better I can get that will keep the current from fluctuating so much?

Accuracy

I see only a few people who posted on this thread mentioned how important it is to not only invest in a scale but to also invest in an accurate set of calibration weights. It is extremely important to spend the extra money on a set of milligram calibration weights in order to confirm the scales accuracy. My calibration set cost me more then my scale did and I'm very glad I got them. You can't confirm milligram accuracy with a gram weight in my opinion.

Remember to use tweezers to handle the milligram weights as the oil on ones fingers can offset them by as much as two milligrams. I prefer to also where powder free latex gloves and a mask to make sure my hand oils or my breathing doesnt interfere with my scales readings.

does anyone know if an average scale(average in my area of is a range of 0.1g-150g) rounds up or down? I assume it chooses whether or not to round up or down based on leftover weight. For example, if your using a .1g scale, and you weigh something that is .15g, I assume it rounds up to .2g. Any lower and I'm assuming it would round down to .1g. This is how rounding is done in math, but is this how it's done in the land of scales?

Status
Not open for further replies.