• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big and Dandy Scale Thread (First wave - archived 10-31-07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awwww... iso made that a long time ago!

I miss iso! He always cracked me up!

Thanks for the link :)

Extremely Cheap Milligram Scales On Ebay

I have looked around and found some VERY cheap milligram scales on eBay. They are 10g x .001g and digital. The one I have is exactly like this, and it is very accurate. Mine came with a nice case, a 5 and 10g weight, and tweezers to set what you want to weigh on the scale. All of these auctions are for the same type of scale (the kind I have), and as far as my research has gone, this is the absolute CHEAPEST way to obtain a good milligram scale. I know this might not belong in this forum, but I know that RCs usually need to be weighed out on milligram scales, so I'd like to lead people in the right direction so that they won't harm themselves.

If you are using research chemicals, you should definitely have one of these. All these scales should be 10g x .001g. Link #1 is best bet.

Here are the links (the first one is probably your best bet because he has 3900 of them for sale, so take advantage!):
Scale #1 - This one is from the eBay store. This guy has 3,900 of these scales to sell and there is no auction 'ending time/date'
^^^^BEST OPTION^^^^

Scale #2
Scale #3
Scale #4
Scale #5
Scale #6

I would highly reccomend that people without milligram scales who are dealing with research chemicals, check out link #1 and buy that scale, and all your problems will be solved.

These are very dodgy. Me and my friend have gone through 5 sets between us... First ones worked ok then just died and I got one set dead on arrival. The last set now still kinda works but only when you put 2 of the 4 batteries in and it only registers 1/2 of what you put on it so you have to multiply all readings by 2.

We wished we'd just gone halves on a decent £200 set from the start, which is what we're doing now!

I have those and they are actually ok for its price. Not very precise (it is sometimes off by 4mg), and I wouldn't weigh <5mg amounts. But for all the other purposes, they do the trick.

psilocybonaut said:
this is the absolute CHEAPEST way to obtain a good milligram scale.
Now why would you say a silly thing like this? Have you never considered that someone, myself included, would jump at the chance to steal such a scale?

For the electronically inclined...

There's an item on the Rhodium Archive that links to instructions on how to build your own milligram scale.

I have a set of those. They're ok, but they underread by about 10%
I wouldn't trust them on anything especially dose depenent. Mine seem consstent, but I still can't trust them.

Most people are too lazy to even look up what the dosages are of a particular drug. Highly unlikely that anyone would go to the trouble to make that scale.

I have one of those. It's better than nothing... seems to be off by about 4mg's either way sometimes, but with a lot of re-weighings it seems to give an average that is pretty accurate. Better than nothing...

It's tough, even with a real lab balance...

...to get accurate and reproducible measurements in that range.

Two suggestions:

Brush the weighing pan off, frequently. Wiping it down with a clean rag moistened with IPA can help with static charges, a common cause of scale "bobble."

Make or get a little Plexiglass box to cover the scale with. Air currents affect the reading.

Alright so I got my GemPro 150 today.

I actually think its a much better scale than the GemPro 50 was and its more accurate.

Some notes though. Its got a weird glitch. If you turn the scale off while measuring in .001g (1mg) increments, when you turn it back on, it will always be off by 4mg. You have to set the mode back to 2mg and then back to 1mg to get it to read accurately again.

Other than that, it works great. We compared it side by side with a friend's Acculab VIC-303 and my readings were the same as his, as long as I made sure to fix the 1mg bug.

I definitely think that this scale is a better buy than a Jscale.

It doesn't have the GemPro 50 bug where it would read something and be off by 4-6mg if you didn't calibrate and tare the scale first.

It holds its readings and such extremely well.

And a note - god DAMN is this 2C-E fluffy! What I thought was 20mg was only 7! Another reason why nobody should rely on eyeballing doses. ;)

The scale is packaged better than the GemPro 50 as well. It comes in a nicer box, has an AC adapter (or you can use 4 AAA batteries), the 10g calibration weight, etc.

It has a levelling indicator on it... but I highly doubt that levelling makes much difference at the 1-2mg range. Micrograms for sure... but not 1-2mg.

Anyway, this will do until I get the cash to get this baby:

http://www.americanweigh.com/produc...d=559&osCsid=e9ce4423d886c8700032021a6d8a00d6

I don't regret the purchase. At 166 bucks, it was definitely worth it.

EDIT: The only thing I do miss about the 50 was that it came with tweezers. This one didn't. But I have a pair of my own anyway.

Another EDIT: Further experimentation removes the 1mg bug. It seems that the 10 second countdown the scale does when it is powering on is sufficient for 2mg but not 1mg. Leaving the scale for another 5 seconds solves the problem completely and it takes flawless readings every time.

Last edited:
That looks almost exactly like the GemPro 150... same accessories, same box... different calibration wait, different button organization, but the same info about the scale.

You could always get a VIC-123... You'll pay a bit more for it but Acculab scales are supposedly among the best.

http://balance.balances.com/scales/906

You don't want the 500, get the 150. The 500 has less readability.

But I can tell you the VIC-123 is a smart buy. Probably smarter than the GP 150 if you want to be on the safe side. Had I seen that scale BEFORE I bought my GP, I would have bought it instead.

Tanita scales are a rip off... 200+ for 2mg accuracy versus 230 for a 1mg accuracy Acculab...

Also, some sites stopped selling Tanita scales once the GemPro 150 and 500 came out because they said that they're better scales and they're cheaper than the Tanitas.

I have yet to see anyone post about using calibration masses to check the accuracy of the GemPro models, etc.

Until then, I'll stick with my Tanita which I've checked myself, with a set of Ohaus masses, to be perfectly accurate and extremely stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.