• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big and Dandy Scale Thread (First wave - archived 10-31-07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've got Big and Dandy threads on almost all of the "number substances" (the 2C-X class, various tryptamines, DOX, etc) linked to in the Best of PD page. You can find out a lot from those. Also, Erowid has plenty of information on them.

Are those kind of your faves, Xor?

The 2C-x stuff?

I hear and see a lot of stuff about the 2- or 5- substances, but for the life of me, I wouldn't know where or how to get them.

When finding something as inocuous as weed is practically a federal offense around here, I just don't even bother to try with anything else.

Not really my favorites, no. Well, 2C-E is one of my favorites, and 2C-T-7. My favorite "research chemicals" (an annoying and misleading term) are 2C-E, DOC, DOM, 2C-D, 4-AcO-DMT, DiPT, 5-MeO-MiPT, AMT, and DPT (though I have little experience with this one).

The majority of the chemicals I'm talking about are not expressly illegal (in the US anyway), but could potentiall be prosecuted under analogue laws. They've only done that to prosecute distributors though, to my knowledge, not users. I consider it quite a bit safer to be dealing with than cannabis, if you're careful at least.

I really appreciate your words.

Found this site and might give it a try sometime:

[source discussion removed]

Which means I may need that jPrecision after all....

Last edited by a moderator:
No mentioning of sources! :)

Anyway, don't use that one. They're expensive and a scam. But with a little resourcefulness and networking, I'm sure you can discover the whereabouts of something. ;)

Couldnt find a weigfhing vibration mat as discussed a few posts up.. will these help me with cheap .001 scales. And if they're easy to make or just buy at a hardware store, what are they made out of... or where do people usually place their scales for accurate weighing for the more cheaper scales

tanita 1210

Does this seem a decent price for a tanita? about $370USD. Shipping scales from america is always a ripoff, bah! then UK prices take the piss too. The exchange rate is so good right now that it might still be better to order from the US...

BTW, i thought that the tanita 1210 had been discontinued?

^ i've used those scales and to be honest they are rubbish. I've had one pair which worked well but the rest have been dead on arrival or have just been mental. The latest pair i have only need 2 batteries (as opposed to 4) and will register twice what you actually want... Good job i checked the calibration weights or i'd have been having double doses of all my favourites....

Got that little My-Weigh 125 Flip scale, 125g/0.05g.

Very disappointing.

It won’t sit level – I have to stick a business card under a corner.

It won’t calibrate – the 100g weight always comes out at 100.05, or 100.10, or 99.95 – which is pretty freaking lousy.

It weighs a nickel (5g) as 4.95g.

It usually weights a penny (2.5g) correctly, but sometimes registers 2.55g.

It simply will not register a 0.05 reading.

It came with a warrantee so I’m going to send it back and hope they can fix it.

Ordered a little My-Weigh Lucky 11 for about $17, and hope that works better.

Just an FYI.

Tripoli said:

Got that little My-Weigh 125 Flip scale, 125g/0.05g.

Very disappointing.

It won’t sit level – I have to stick a business card under a corner.

It won’t calibrate – the 100g weight always comes out at 100.05, or 100.10, or 99.95 – which is pretty freaking lousy.

It weighs a nickel (5g) as 4.95g.

It usually weights a penny (2.5g) correctly, but sometimes registers 2.55g.

It simply will not register a 0.05 reading.

It came with a warrantee so I’m going to send it back and hope they can fix it.

Ordered a little My-Weigh Lucky 11 for about $17, and hope that works better.

Just an FYI.

Coins are not by any means consistently a single weight. Older coins are usually significantly lighter than new coins as they lose metal through friction over time.

Registering a 100g weight at 100.05 or 99.95 is exactly what the scale purported to do... what's the problem there? Having only 1xUnit of measurement in drift is not bad at all...

Trying to measure a weight of .05 on this scale would probably be impossible, and could indicate a quantity of 0mg to 100mg. That's the idea with a scale with resolution of .05g.

If you send it back, they're not going to send you a better scale, you got what you payed for.

As for the uneven platform, try using a small drop of super glue to increase a leg's height.

Just ordered a 0,005 gram scale. It's nearly impossible to find one since all those online vendors don't ship to europe.
I have been going back and forth between a little diamond scale like the one 3-4 posts back which is about 100$ and claims to weigh mg's, and the lab scale I ordered today, costing over 200$.
Honestly I can't imagine why they dare claim that cheapass scales can weigh as accurate because like many ppl in this topic it's not realistic to think you can trust a knockoff apparatus. They may be 100$ or in some cases even less (!), but I'd rather have one that claims 5 times less accuracy but does an excellent job. They say that for 100$ you indeed get what you pay for, but with the labscale the price/quality ratio is unequalled.
I'll report back if I get an actual read on the quality of this thing when it arrives - until then I agree it's irresponsible to mess around with RCs without a scale, however using a cheap diamond scale as if it was truly accurate is probably a mockery. It's better than nothing, but that about covers it.

I use an appoximately $100 gem scale. I had problem for a while, but you can calbrate it occasionally, and you should never take a dose without weighing it very carefully about a dozen times. You can get them to weigh consistently, but you have to be fast and patient, because the weight usually starts to drift upwards if it just sits there, and you'll never get it to stop on anything unless the humidity and air pressure and everything are correct. Even temperature affects it.

EDIT: For clarification, my scale measures in milligram increments, not 5mg increments or 2mg increments.

Last edited:
Hmm, well i suppose if you're very familiar with your own scale and know what to do to get any certainty on your dose thats your call.
It all depends on your methods and the substances you're weighing. For something like N,N-DMT I don't really care if I'm max. 5 mgs off, you get more deviation by incomplete vaporation or residue in your pipe...
Orally consumed RCs one can weigh more of and dissolve it in solvent. That way once you're sure of your starting mass, you can be sure of the devided doses. Because of that I concentrate more on the reliability of a scale than the actual accuracy. Accuracy is something you can calculate into your certainty, a scale that is dependant on temperature and humidity is inherently untrustworthy. A way to fix that is indeed by weighing a fixed mass over and over again, averaging out the results and hoping that there is no consistent error in your device. Of course this all stays ones own responsibility and I'm by no means here to pass judgement on anyone who does otherwise, maybe just anyone who claims otherwise ;) .
I have no problem personally with eyeballing 2C-B and snorting it even, but I wouldn't weigh 2C-E with a gem scale, pushing the upper limit of my "doable dose" 8) .

A question: does calibrating a scale with say a 1 gram weight successfully result in a correct weighing of say a 50 mg mass (conform the scale accuracy) ?
Is it ok to assume that the higher the calibration weight is, the better the calibration (is we theoretically use precise masses) ?

mezcal said:
Registering a 100g weight at 100.05 or 99.95 is exactly what the scale purported to do....

That's not how I see it.

I understand there will be some variance in weight, but that much (100.10 to 99.95) doesn't seem right.

It especially doesn't seem right that the damn thing NEVER registers a 100g weight at 100g.

Spare me the "you got what you paid for" chide because I know damn good and well that with anything you buy, regardless of price, there are always some lemons in the lot.

This is a confusing topic.

It seems that their are many .002/.001 gram scales available for under 100$. Naturally, one must wonder about the accuracy of those scales. Further, it seems that their are other scalse around 200$ and above but I really can't find any information about the true accuracy of ANY of these scales. The "get what you pay for " thing I've found to have been started by the "emporer who wears no clothes" and certainly don't want to throw money away. Not that quality is free or anything.

Perhaps someone has seen some good testing of scales that are suitable for research chems?

Status
Not open for further replies.