• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

The Big and Dandy Etaqualone Thread

The inherent issue with etaqualone (and similar compounds) is the very ambiguous line between a 'moderate' recreational dose and a potential overdose. This issue is compounded by RC-market factors......

I take full responsibility for the recklessness that led to my etaqualone 'incident'. This said, I still emphasis users to exercise extreme caution with their use; this drug is NOT detected in tox-screens (even those that test for methaqualone). This presents a serious change for those treated irresponsible victims. In my case, when I awoke from the etaqualone induced coma, I never uttered the word 'etaqualone' (for botb professional and scheduling hysteria concerns). My fear is for the kid who 'spills the beans' upon overdose.

The fundamental issue of RC derived etaqualone is similar to the RC opioid dilemma: The risk of overdose with etaqualone is far greater than their typical RC stimulant, psychedelic, and synthetic cannabinoid counterparts.

To summarize: etaqualone is a barbiturate like compound, and has similarly a narrow therapeutic window.

I apologize for typographical errors, this was dictated

I also have noticed that this has reentered the market- have 15g heading my way now actually ;).

Aside from novelty and it being the closest thing that I will ever get to Quaaludes, I am also planning to use it during opiate withdrawal- Negrogesic knows all about withdrawal, so I wonder if you had any advice for me:

Ok, so basically my plan for getting through the 'acute phase' of W/D is to take a largeish dose of Diazepam with my last day of opiate use (so I already have some metabolites in my system as I slide into my withdrawals) and then each day I will take low (5-10mg) doses to survive the day then use etaqualone to snatch a few hours of sleep (hopefully) at night- obviously I'll need to do some experiment to find out what will be an appropriate dose of etaqualone for me, but that shouldn't be an issue.

So basically my question is this- although high-dose abuse of benzos/etaqualone is a definate no-no, could more theraputic levels of Diazepam (prob no more than 30-45mg a day, I need about 60-100mg to really get smashed) and etaqualone be used safely to help me get through my withdrawals?

I am looking to try this but after reading around, im not sure what the best ROA is? and how much? im thinking about either insufflating 200mg or taking 300-400mg orally...any help would be appreciated.

this 400mg started really pleasant at around the 40-45 minute mark after dosing, (bombed in rizzla) however the effects are now starting to fade after just over an hour. Its a bit of a shame really, is insufflation a good method, and does topping up actually work? I read on a few pages before that it doesn't really work? (topping up that is)

So here is my experience:
I snorted 500mg of etaqualone powder, after maybe 20 to 30 minutes I didnt felt any noticeable effect. Then I snorted 500mg more thinkin the preduct wasnt really good. After 10 minutes later I smoked a bowl of bad quality cannabis and just minutes after the weed started to kick in I began to feel a slight dizziness followed by a espectacular euphoria. The effect were anxiolitic, euphoric, not very sedative like benzos, slighty stimulant with a mild aphrodisiac effect, and a increased music apreciation. Was a really good time but the effect lasted only 40 minutes or less. Maybe not worth the price, but it was a very special substance to give a try.

Based on some of these reports, I am uncertain how pure or authentic the samples are. They sound more like some phenprobamate adulterated with a BZD (just an example, not an accusation).

I can't imagine snorting 1000mg of any RC powder (1000mg of cocaine is a feat of sorts), let alone some unfamiliar and potentially dangerous compound such as etaqualone/barbs. The poster above snorted 500mg of purported etaqualone, waited "20 to 30 minutes", and snorted another half-gram. An few posts above that was someone who said they had "bombed in rizzla" the compound (the definition of which I am not entirely sure). Point being....well, I hope it goes without saying.......

Mate, read negrogesic's warning thread on etaqualone. he nearly killed himself combining benzodiazepines with ETQ. Are you really that stupid? If you must go for a benzo+ETQ combo at least use a benzo with a very short half-life during the day, meaning it'll have cleared your system by evening when you want to use the etaqualone. But stick to either one or the other if you don't want to die.

negrogesic I'm starting to see your point.........

I just hope some twat doesn't go and kill himself with this stuff and ruin the fun for the rest of us with a handful of neurons left to distinguish between recreation and unintentional suicide.

Mate, read negrogesic's warning thread on etaqualone. he nearly killed himself combining benzodiazepines with ETQ. Are you really that stupid? If you must go for a benzo+ETQ combo at least use a benzo with a very short half-life during the day, meaning it'll have cleared your system by evening when you want to use the etaqualone. But stick to either one or the other if you don't want to die.

negrogesic I'm starting to see your point.........

I just hope some twat doesn't go and kill himself with this stuff and ruin the fun for the rest of us with a handful of neurons left to distinguish between recreation and unintentional suicide.

For fucks sake, bluelight has gone downhill fast.

I'm perfectly aware that everyone is gonna whip their dick out and start talking about 'how much they can take before they feel it'- but these are the facts, as I see them:

1)Necrogesics post was a warning against obvious and hedonisitic abuse of etaqualone (which is NOT strictly a 'research chemical'- it was on the market until all XXX-qualones were withdrawn in the west- so despite the possibility that it is only 20% pure I am going to treat it at 100% pure and take the same dose as a particular brand of French etaqualone that was prescribed as an anticonvulsant and hypnotic- that's 300mg) WHILE on absolutely ridiculous doses of one one, but THREE benzos. I do understand the existance of tolerance, I do understand that people who are benzo dependent have to take monster doses just not to have seizures- but I'm also familiar with the disinhibiting nature of GABA based drugs. Taking around the equivilant of (depending on exactly how strong you consider estazolam & phenazepam to be, so lets say 1.5 = 10 to be fair to both opinions) the equvilant of 125mg of diazepam (assuming he took 8mg of phenaz- besides, when people say '5-8' all I can see is them wasted as trying to operate scales- he may have actually eaten upto 25mg+ if he was dealing with the powder) ontop of ONE GRAM of Etaqualone, a barbituiate like drug (and a gram of any barb worth its salt will FUCK you up- I'm am a junkie scumbag, but I was couldn't walk when I was briefly put on 600mg phenobarb daily). If that isn't asking for trouble, what that fuck is? I know that big ass drug binges are real big on the internet, but I actually value my body and my mind.

2) Barbituates and benzos are/where commonly doled out to junkies at hospitals during detox programmes. Despite not being the best cource, William S Burroughs talks about the liberal use of barbituates and anti-psychotics in some detox programmes. He may be mad, but why'd he lie about that? I am a junkie and I am fucking fed up with it. I want to get clean, I want to be a normal person again. But I don't want to fail, just because I am physically/psycologically unable to get clean- that would probably escalate my use. So I am exploring all of my (extremely limited options) on making the withdrawal process easier. Have you ever been through opiate withdrawal? Despite what I said in point one, Negrogesic is an incredibly educated and intelligent member- it's more a testiment to how fucked up that much shit gets you more than anything. Why I asked my question was because he is a doctor, I'd like to hear his opinion. I'm not going to be 'getting high' nor am I going to be doling them out myself- once I'm withdrawing my partner will feed me my diazepam during the day and will give me my etaqualone at night. I'm not going to go mental and take them all trying to make myself feel normal. I can't, I'll be in withdrawal and it'll be shit- I just want to get through it and never look back. I don't want to fail, I don't want to relapse.

3) I can't make this clear enough, all of the doses are going to be preweighed and capped up and not handled by me. Half an ounce may sound like a heap, but when you consider it's 3.3 doses a g that's like a months prescription of etaqualone (if I choose too/don't like they etaqualone at all I COULD get a 90 0.25mg script of triazolam and take it with the diazepam, but that is just begging to get a benzo addiction)- a couple over 31 days. I have done as much research as I can (including *horror* going to the university library) about it and the theraputic dose range seems to be between 100-300mg, and that's what I'm gonna take- even if my source turns out to have impure shit. I'm not gonna play around with this shit, I'm sick of playing, I'm a motherfucking businessman- I need rid of this junk shit and if I can get ahold of etaqualone and it makes my dopesickness just bareable enough for me to get through then I'll probably flush the rest and have a spliff.

This is the first time I've logged into bluelight in days, my tapering has been going really well and I've been filled with this energy that is letting me get all this work done. I was about 4 months behind in my life and in the last week that has all been dealt with. In the last month I have made more money than I have had in literally years, doing legitimate things. I actually thought that I'd miss the drug culture, that I'd miss nodding infront of bluelight, that I wouldn't be able to get by without my junkie mates- but that's all part of the bullshit. I've found a new community and it's a positive one, all that I need to do now is kick the morphine. When I smoke dmt and I can feel the poison running through me.

So how bout this Pontifex01- you keep IM'ing your milky ambien, stressing about your impending xanax addiction and fantasising about fucking hookers (just from the threads you've started...your words, not mine bitch) then and I'll just get off the junk? And may our paths never cross again.

So yeah- does anyone have any advice when it comes to using etaqualone (in theraputic doses) for opiate withdrawal, particularly in conjunction with (theraputic) doses of diazepam?

And if you just wanna be completely selfish- there have already been deaths from phenazepam in New Zealand, it got no media coverage- local or international. One overdose (a poppy seed tea one actually- PROOF MOFO) produced a reseach paper though.

Iv done a GC/MS on the stuff which is currently on the market and it is pure <99% and dissolved well in EE I will post a spectra tomorrow

my gf took 300mg in a gel cap and was quite drunk and sedated (she said it feels like benzos and alk but with a nice euphoria added on top) but also effects lasted only very short like 40mins-1h

Is the metabolism of this known? Im just curios because its so fast, maybe it could be boosted in some way (by inhibiting the corresponding enzyme)

@limonov: I dont know where you live but cant you just tell a doc that you are a junkie and could get in a rehab program or sth? Maybe a suboxone or Methadone therapy?

Last edited:
I have acquired some, have two Gs on the way from a very reputable source, I've hidden my etizolams in the basement, so that I'm physically kept away from anything that might negatively interact with it, as usually I'm not the responsible type as the guys over at EADD know, and downers are not really my cup of tea being more of a stims guy. I'll apply the greatest care in experimenting with this particular compound, I'm really interested in it as I remember reading Tim Leary talking about quaaludes being the Republican's favourite drug, waging a war on psychedelics while obliterating themselves with qualudes.

Anyway I will report back

Last edited:
Is the metabolism of this known? Im just curios because its so fast, maybe it could be boosted in some way (by inhibiting the corresponding enzyme)
I don't know whether the metabolism of etaqualone has been investigated, but I think we can safely assume that it follows the same metabolic pathways as methaqualone (i.e. hydroxylation at positions 3' ,4' and 6 and subsequent glucuronidation, as well as some N-oxidation - ref. entry on methaqualone in Clarke's Analysis of Drugs and Poisons). The major metabolite should be 4'-hydroxyetaqualone glucuronide.

In-vitro metabolism of methaqualone is inhibited by diphenhydramine (Hindmarsh et al, 1978 ). I'm not sure which enzyme is involved though, and in a follow-up study, no metabolic interactions between diphenhydramine and methaqualone were observed in-vivo (Hindmarsh et al, 1983). The diphenhydramine dose of 25 mg may have been too low to have a significant effect.

Whatever you do, tread carefully. Etaqualone appears to be very unforgiving with respect to dosage and drug interactions.

Last edited:
My experience with this, gotten it from a reliable source.
After the usual, important allergy test, I bombed 500 mg(I am pretty tall) on an empty stomach.Come up was aprox. 20 minutes.
A feeling of extreme well-being and strong muscle-relaxing effects,still different to soma or any benzo I ever took.
After 3 hours I was back at baseline. I was tired before I took it,also I was lying in bed, but due to this kind of sluggish euphoria I did not want to sleep.
Adding to this was also the fact that music sounded good and I played it loud.
Interesting stuff imo.

I took 75mg oral and 1h later 75mg oral again.
After 20 - 40 min I started feeling a sexy euphoria and that was also pretty strong anxiolitic.
I had expected more sedation and hypnotic feelings but in fact it was almost sluggishly stimulating in a way.
I could not sleep, any benzo I have taken was more hypnotic.
Also a bit nauseous. Dancing and music was fun, although I didn't move that much.
It was an ok experience but I think I prefer a benzo.

Maybe next time I try 300mg, we'll see ...

That sounds rather disappointing. Do you mean that it took 40 minutes to peak, and you plateau'd for an hour before beginning to come down, or what? Could you explain in more detail?

Can other users comment on duration?

Yeah sorry should have made it clearer, it took around 40minutes to peak and plateau'd for around an hour then started coming down. I also tried insufflating around 115mg (just after the 400mg) which did have a faster onset but didn't make a considerable difference in effects at all.

- For people saying that the batch might not be pure or proper, I am very certain that this batch I have tried Is as it is a very reliable source by experience.

What I don't understand is why this is being sold at all if it really doesn't do much at all, especially for its price. Could it be that it is supposed to be taken completely by a different ROA such as IM or IV, I don't know? but I have never IM'ed or IV'ed and I am not prepared to do so.

Based on some of these reports, I am uncertain how pure or authentic the samples are. They sound more like some phenprobamate adulterated with a BZD (just an example, not an accusation).

I can't imagine snorting 1000mg of any RC powder (1000mg of cocaine is a feat of sorts), let alone some unfamiliar and potentially dangerous compound such as etaqualone/barbs. The poster above snorted 500mg of purported etaqualone, waited "20 to 30 minutes", and snorted another half-gram. An few posts above that was someone who said they had "bombed in rizzla" the compound (the definition of which I am not entirely sure). Point being....well, I hope it goes without saying.......

By "Bombed in rizzla" I just mean putting the substance into tobbaco rolling paper and swallowing it with water.

I don’t know whether the batch that's currently circulating is in freebase or salt form, but has anyone tried smoking it yet? I read on another site that it was very active via this ROA, and that 50mg smoked was roughly equivalent to a 500mg oral dose. This is only second hand information, so take care if you try this ROA.

300mg oral did absolutely nothing for me, besides causing insomnia. Could not sleep at all the following night (2 hours after dosing).

I have consumed about 15mg etizolam the last 30 days. Could this have caused tolerance?

Last edited: