• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The Bicycle Thread

came with all of it. and the guy had the same size feet as me so he threw in a pair of shoes that fit the clips too :)

alasdair

ive never even considered adjusting the seat but it makes perfect sense in this situation.

It depends on the technicality of the terrain. If you are not having to use your legs to absorb shock, then you don't need to put the seat down.

Where area are those photos takes in shimmer?

Those were taken at the southwest edge of the Odenwald facing across the Rhine valley.

Well you would need a couple weeks to do it for sure..

However if youre a fit guy then probably not too terribly long if you become dedicated to your training. Im only a few months into riding and ive gone from being winded from 1 mile, to doing up to 50 miles in a day with lots of climbing.

If you average about 75 miles a day you could do 900 miles in about 2 weeks, which seems reasonable with a couple years of training.

how long do you think you would need to train for to be able to cycle just under 900 miles?
in the uk our end to end places are called john o groats and lands end. i would love to be able to complete a challenge like that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land%27s_End_to_John_o%27_Groats#Cycling

Tour de France is about 2000miles (~3200km) over 3+ weeks so they average a little less than 100mi per day/stage, depending on the stage. Those guys train constantly though. Probably have to train for about a year and be able to cover 75-100mi/day with no physical issues. Equipment would be a different story.

The main difference I see is that the TDF guys are going balls out the whole way.

If youre not racing against others you could go along at a much more leisurely pace. A guy I know biked from Tahoe to Crested Butte CO last summer with his dad in a little over a week, and while they're both strong riders they are by no means elite level athletes.

how long do you think you would need to train for to be able to cycle just under 900 miles?
in the uk our end to end places are called john o groats and lands end. i would love to be able to complete a challenge like that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land%27s_End_to_John_o%27_Groats#Cycling

Sounds like a great goal, but that is a hard challenge to be sure. I would check out some bike specific forums for more information with regards to equipment, training, and nutrition. I like bikeforums.net and and mtbr.com. Mtbr.com is not only mountain bikes, but you have to look through the forums to find the road stuff.

One of my goals is a trans alp tour with the mountain bike, but I seem further away than I was a year ago due to losing a shit load of conditioning over the winter.

I did about an hour MTB ride yesterday afternoon. Nothing too hard or technical, just a local area with some nice hills and some switchbacks to keep building my skills and confidence. I really want to do a trip to MOAB one day and I want to attain as many skills as I can.

Moab is amazing, I went river rafting there years ago, but never biking.

been doing a 10 mile time trial recently. There ia big circle around a manmade lake in my neighborhood that is about 2.5 miles. The roads are really smooth, and cars arent whizzing by constantly, so its really nice.

I time myself on 4 laps and try to improve as much as possible.

Its actually 8.90 miles to be exact

clocked it at 29:31 today, 18.22 avg mph

Compared to most serious cyclists that is a horrendous time. But I havent tricked out my bike for time trialing ( no aero bars, aluminum frame, not a aero suit/helmet ect) like most of them have, plus I have a pump, tires, repair kit/tools and a water bottle on my bike. So im far from an ideal setup, but im having fun with it.

Last edited:
Damn, Ali! You got the deal of the century (hopefully, you'll turn this into a valid pun :p)! I'm riding an Ibex Aprisa road bike, Shimano Tiagra components. I should be riding ~85 miles from Portland to the Beach (~4k ft. cum. elevation gain) on Friday. I've been regularly doing 2-4 hour training rides, though I recently went on a vacation where I lacked a bike to train on and attempted to smoke all the weed north of the Golden Gate bridge (and some of the weed found south of it). :p

ebola

nice, longest ive ever done was 65 miles about a month ago, im new to cycling (outside of riding bmx bikes as a young'n) but im really enjoying it