• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The Bicycle Thread

Care

Bluelight Crew
My new hobby is road biking, so I thought i'd start a thread about all things related to riding.

I currently ride a 2013 Raleigh Revenio 3.0. It has full SHimano 105 components and a carbon front fork with an aluminum frame.

I just went on my longest ride ever today, roughly 45 miles through some hilly terrain, and I am pretty spent. Its amazing how much my stamina and skill have improved in the 6 or 7 weeks since I started riding on a regular basis.

Post here about your riding activities, be it mountain biking, BMX, road biking, cruisers ect.

Good thread idea, Care.

I'm a MTBer and have a 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite. Love this bike especially since my previous bike was a hardtail. But that was good to learn on. So many places with different types of terrain to test my skills and improve them in the Bay area. Also makes it great as a cross training sport for my other activities.

81UmUAFBwRL._SL1500_.jpg

i use this for trails and on road but as most of my riding seems to be on the road im looking specifcaly for a road bike.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/

^ Thats a great website for learning about road bikes.

If you know youre going to be riding a lot and you have the spare money I recommend not being afraid to spend on a road bike. If you get into it you'll be wishing you had a nicer bike really fast and wanting to upgrade. If you know what youre looking for then buying used can be a good option, but you'll lack the benefit of free maintenance that comes with a lot of local bike shops when you buy a bike, and the old parts may not be as solid as they once were. If youre riding on roads then road bikes are SOOOO MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE than mountainbikes, it really is night and day difference.

Nice mountain bike though.

@ Wyld

One of the main reasons I got into riding was that I saw it as a good low impact exercise for my legs and a way to maintain my weight other than running. I also live in an area that is good for biking so I have no shortage of areas to explore on my bike, its a lot of fun.

thanks will have a proper look when i can think about budget. i know pretty much nothing about road bikes and have used mtb all my life, but i just know doing a 50 mile round trip would be so much better on a road bike.

In Austin this past weekend I rode my first 29er MTB. It was a Trek Superfly full suspension (dont know what year). Fun to ride but Austin's trails are nothing like Cali or Idaho's so it was not the best demo of what it can do. Although, given the plethra of rocks, it rolled over them pretty good.

Care: what's funny is just about everyone I am friends with here rides road bikes and some do run. I'm the only one of them that runs full time though. If I get a job that affords me the opportunity to bike to work, I'd get a road bike but my current one does not lend itself to that. My next 2 wheel purchase is going to be (planned anyway) a sport touring moto so the road bike isnt even on the list yet.

well if you ever want to hang with those friends of yours on the road you know what you need to do :)

resistance is futile

here is a pic of my bike btw

884324_395678033862359_189647729_o_zps8af50a89.jpg

I have since ditched the seat pad, and have a new bag as well as a mini-pump and racing shoes/pedals. I also ride with my seat slightly higher because its more aerodynamic and more comfortable.

The amgen bike race in california is coming up, i might actually try to make that part of an excuse to get out of town this summer.

I'm an MTBer/commuter. I love riding, and do it year round. I have been off the MTB for a few months now due to injury, very full schedule, and moving. Right now I am getting my conditioning back up by commuting ~10 miles total daily on week days. I'll post some pics eventually.

I've always thought Raleigh made some nice looking bikes for the price, but I've never had the chance to ride one. Looks like it would perform pretty well.

you lucky so and so. im going to get a raleigh in the summer from a dealership, no idea what yet though. best time to buy would have been in the new year though

i just got my first road bike. picked up a used trek 1400 for $200:

trek1400.jpg

alasdair

just got it. rear tire is better than it looks.

trying to find a triathalon for which to train :)

alasdair

nice dude, you got one hell of a deal

did it come with the pump/pedals/water cages/computer or did you do that yourself?