• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The 2018/2019 NFL Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda feel bad for Arron Rodgers. Any word on coaching canidates?

They want a white qb who has no personality.
this is such an odd comment - do you not think what they really want is a quarterback of any color, with any amount of personality, who throws fewer interceptions?

look at the performance of non-white qbs like patrick mahomes, dak prescott (maybe not this year) and deshaun watson - you don't think they'd be happy to take those numbers?

you think race is a factor. i don't know if it is but there are other black quarterbacks in the league who receive positive attention because of the way they play.

if he's hurt - and that's accounting for his recent poor performance - he should not be playing. that's a team/coaching issue.

alasdair

Last edited:
Dude, have you lived in the Carolinas, or anywhere in the south for that matter? There are many, many, people who have NEVER given him a chance. Not his rookie year, not his MVP year, not any year since. They don't like how he acts, they don't like how he dresses. Go on the Panthers fan groups on Facebook etc...they hate the change in ownership from Richardson who was very conservative to Tepper who is the exact opposite. When we brought on Reid all hell broke loose. There is a large percentage of fans who want ALL of this shit driven out of the organization. They've been wanting to draft a new QB for YEARS even during our Super Bowl run. That year we needed OT to beat the Colts...then we lost to the Falcons. Even though we went 15-1 and made it to the SB...they blamed every problem on him. Yeah, there are a few big cities but the vast majority of NC is Trump Country. They want a WHITE qb. If they had Watson or Dak , they wouldn't have as much of an issue, because they are more reserved.

btw, 9 of Cams 13 interceptions came after he re injured his shoulder at Pittsburgh. And yeah, you're right, they need to sit him.

I think "they want a white qb with no personality" was like my second or third sentence in my original post. So it's always been partially about personality.

If they must have a black qb, he needs to essentially act white.

Seriously, just go on Facebook, look back through all the post game threads, look for the cam sucks etc posts then look at the profile picture of the dumbass saying it. 99% of the time, white. 99% of the time, anti Reid/kaepernick, 99% of the time, Trump paraphernalia on their profile . Seen it over and over for years. Before Trump was elected they were the ones who thought Obama was a Muslim.

They look back on the Jake Delhomme years as some sort of golden era, and Newton as a cancer that's holding the organization back. The rest of us look at Cam as a phenomenal talent who has struggled at times, yes, but has mostly been held back and under appreciated.

I just had the random thought the other day about Cam as qb for the NYG. Everyone wants Eli gone. Cam would finally have a receiver. A young running back to replace McCaffrey. Maybe a fan base who would appreciate his personality? Reunited with Dave Gettleman and Jonathan Stewart.

There is no doubt Cam has talent. He won the MVP a few years ago. I don't really know why you care what fans think as they have no control over the organization which is obviously committed to Cam long term.

But Cam has to take some steps to change his game. The hits and injuries are cumulative over the season and his career. Obviously his throwing shoulder is damaged and prone to injury. That means he needs to get rid of the ball in rythm and cut down on the runs especially early in the year. If he doesn't do that he won't be playing much longer.

I saw 5-6 of your games this year. McCaffrey is a weapon but outside of him no one had game changing talent. Where is the cap investment going? It looks like you need better WRs and a power back to complement McCaffrey. A new OC might not be a bad idea either. Go to a more spread look with quick reads to help Cam not get killed back there.

We already have a new OC, and Cam is already running like 75% less than he did last year. That was the whole reason they brought in Norv Turner. Everything was clicking first half of the season, except our defense. Head coach waited way too long to take over as DC.

Bottom line, if you're gonna turn Cam into more of a traditional qb , he needs a receiver. He can't throw it to himself. Also our pass defense sucks with the exception of Jackson. And I know it's too much to ask, but we need to help our o line out too so Cam doesn't get killed every season like you said.

It's not that I care what people think, it's that having a shitty fan base will eventually have an effect on your organization. If something doesn't change, you think Cams gonna stick around when his free agency comes around?

he has what? a couple more years? it will be interesting to see what happens. giants could defo. use him but i think they'll draft next year and they'll likely get the #1 qb.

alasdair

Damn I feel awful for Josh Gordon. The narrative around all this makes me really sad too. People still don't understand mental health or addiction. They don't really want to be educated on the topic either. I guess it feels better to think "he's an idiot I'd never do that" instead of realising addiction is just that powerful. Hopefully he finds some peace whatever that is for him.

Yeah people think, "look at how much he's got going for him." They don't get it.

C42fgHs.jpg

This isn't breaking news. Normally, when teams have these kinds of systemic issues, people get fired. We already saw Mike McCarthy take the fall for a struggling Packers offense this season.

Ron Rivera looks like he'll suffer the same fate, according to those front-office sources, who don't think new owner David Tepper will tolerate this kind of losing. If Rivera and Co. drop the final two games, the Panthers would finish 6-10—after starting 6-2. According to ESPN.com, no team has done that since the league moved to a 16-game schedule in 1978.

hmmm

Nick mother fucking Foles!!! Broke the franchise record for yards in the game today then led a game winning drive. Still all the idiot eagles fans think Carson Wentz is better. I just don't get it. What does Foles have to do?

brees and kamara have little if no effect on panthers offense...

7 straight losses with cam at qb. take him out and the team goes nuts offensively. draw your own conclusion :)

alasdair

Saints offense being shut out the first three quarters means Saints defense was on the field way, way, too long. Defense is fatigued because offense can't make drives. Offense can't make drives because no Brees or Kamara. So yeah, I think there is a connection there.

You know, not to mention the Saints are locked in to first place in the NFC. Guys ain't about to go out and make some huge play and potentially injure themselves. I watched most of the game, did you? No one looked particularly enthused.

Let's look at the Panthers losses, shall we?

@ATL by 7
@WAS by 6
@PIT by 31
@DET by 1
SEA by 3
@TB by 7
@CLE by 6
NO by 3
ATL by 14

of Carolinas 9 losses, 7 were by a single possession.
Of those 7, 3 were by a field goal or less.

Meanwhile the Patriots of the AFC LEast have 5 losses.

@jax by 11
@det by 16
@ten by 24
@mia by 1
@pit by 7

Patriots are the 2 seed in the AFC...Panthers are out in the NFC. Difference of 4 games. 3 of our losses was by a field goal or less.

So I'm drawing a lot of conclusions...Brady plays in a weak division. Cam plays in a strong division. Brady isn't injured. Cam reinjured his shoulder week 9 I think.

Last edited:
a loss is a loss.

you're taking this too personally. we're not talking about brady and the patriots. we're talking about the panthers and cam newton. i think you make excuses for his shortcomings. we can agree to disagree.

whatever... nice, if meaningless, road win against the saints with a backup qb and no cmc.

alasdair

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.