• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Basketball The 2018/2019 NBA Discussion Thread -- TRADES/PLAYOFFS/etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Malcolm Brogdon was rookie of the year too, and the Bucks just let him go. He got a nice contract from the Pacers but only half what Simmons got.

Clearly the Sixers are putting all of their faith into him and Embiid...they've proven they are worthy of that responsibility, but it didn't come without trials and tribulations.

I agree they could be two or three years away from reaching their full potential as a team, but the problem with that is look at what's going on in the East. Look at Brooklyn, Milwaukee, and Boston...other teams are on the rise too.

I wasn't trying to be overly critical of your guy, just trying to promote a little healthy discussion :) . I will move this part over to NBA discussion if you don't mind. Hope we can pick it up there. Don't want to derail your thread.

Report: Russell Westbrook Traded to Rockets from Thunder for Chris Paul, Picks

The Oklahoma City Thunder traded eight-time All-Star Russell Westbrookto the Houston Rockets on Thursday, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The Thunder are receiving Chris Paul, first-round picks in 2024 and 2026 and the right to swap first-rounders in 2021 and 2025.

Shams Charania of The Athletic and Stadium broke down the protections on those picks:

Wojnarowski added Westbrook and his agent worked in tandem with Thunder general manager Sam Presti to get him to Houston.

The move comes after Paul George's unexpected trade to the Los Angeles Clippers in July.

Kawhi Leonard signing with the Clippers was a little surprising, but they were still one of the three remaining finalists to land him this offseason. Nobody thought George would join him in Los Angeles.

Losing George significantly lowered the Thunder's playoff ceiling, which was already a question coming off back-to-back first-round exits since the George trade. Trading Westbrook and embracing a full-scale rebuild was naturally one option Oklahoma City had to seriously consider.

Wojnarowski reported July 6 the Thunder were in contact with Westbrook's representatives about possibly moving him elsewhere: "The two sides have 11 years of history together, and both understand that the time has likely come to explore trade possibilities for Westbrook, league sources said."

What a crazy offseason. Westbrook and harden is going to be interesting. I feel like they will struggle with spacing.

I have a feeling that Houston talked to Westbrook ahead of time about whether he was willing to change his game. He won't be able to take as many shots or have the ball as long. It will be a big change for him, but I think he's there because he wants to win a title. At this point that's all he cares about.

But yeah, next season will be great.

Do any of guys follow the national Basketball teams of your home country in things like off season international friendlies or the Olympic games or FIBA World cup??

I know for team USA to not win the Olympic gold medal or FIBA World cup is unthinkable regardless if the two best players in the NBA LeBron and Curry declined to play at the last Olympics no national Basketball team can match the talent of team USA, even if it is a team USA line up comprising of young up and coming NBA players who perhaps are bench warmers in the all star game but most definitely team USA's roaster is not a starting 5 of the very best in the NBA.

The best of the best NBA star's from America or Canada have never been super keen on playing in international clashes representing teamUSA-teamCanada outside of the Olympic games and even then the best NBA players won't always suit up and play.

Winning a NBA title is and always has been the most prestigious award in basketball. The biggest individual acclaime would be getting named as MVP not an Olympic gold medal or FIBA World cup winners trophy. International tournament basketball competitions like the upcoming FIBA 2019 World cup in China don't rate that highly on NBA superstar's list of priorities.

Even Australian Ben Simmons has said he is not risking injury by playing in FIBA 2019. Ben did say he will represent Australia at the 2020 Tokyo olympic games as well as in the exhibition series against team USA in Melbourne and Perth during August.

I asked if any North American b-ball fans cared about international games because
Team USA is playing an exhibition series against the Australian Men's basketball team the boomers in August during the NBA off season but predictably LeBron Curry and the other best American superstars have pulled out and not coming to play in Oz.

According to the above article if the Boomer's play their best side and team USA play a inexperienced line up it could be a close result, perhaps even the unthinkable a Boomer's victory

Team Canada is always going to play an exhibition series against the Boomer's and the New Zealand men's national team the Tall Black's

An international sports thread would be cool. It could cover all the summer and winter Olympic Games and qualifiers. For all the sports. As well as FIBA, FIFA, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.