• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The 2015/2016 NFL Thread v. yfw da jest win da superb owl

Very true.

Out of curiosity, how many of you actually read that entire ESPN article about the Patriots? Did you read the whole thing ali?

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

I just heard on the radio that ESPN investigated for this story for half a year before publishing it. That's pretty wild. I haven't read the Sports illustrated one yet:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/08/patriots-cheating-suspicions-bill-belichick-tom-brady
I read the whole article. I still don't believe the timing was organic or that it's really about the Patriots. Although it doesn't do them any favors.
NFL says Patriots had nothing to do audio issues vs. Steelers

i guess everybody except gm will drop it now...

alasdair
Is that the same NFL that stomped the spygate tapes and never saw the Ray Rice video? ;)

Haha true.

I dunno, I guess I'm kind of lucky the Patriots are around and have done the things they've done and won all the games they've won. Half my enjoyment of football comes from hating on them. Having a team you hate is just as much fun as having a team you love. You guys are missing out. It's like watching He-man with no Skeletor. =D

Bills fans are ready. There was a mile-long line for the RV parking lot at Ralph Wilson Stadium at 4am last night.

12009737_10154133053093362_6650246450647811651_n.jpg

Haha true.

I dunno, I guess I'm kind of lucky the Patriots are around and have done the things they've done and won all the games they've won. Half my enjoyment of football comes from hating on them. Having a team you hate is just as much fun as having a team you love. You guys are missing out. It's like watching He-man with no Skeletor. =D
That's how I feel about the Cowboys.

The Patriots are the most hated team in the AFC, if not the league. Who's the most hated in the NFC?

yeah AFC has consistently been the more controversial half. i'd agree on the Seahawks, and they're not even really that hated.

eh the Cowgirls aren't really that hated anymore, mostly just an old joke at this point

Probably matters where you're from or what your favorite team is. People around here used to hate the Cowboys 10-15 years ago because the 2 Super bowl losses to them were still fresh in their minds. Nobody cares about them.

But it's definitely either the Cowboys or Seattle for the NFC. Seattle fans are universally hated because you never heard of Seattle fans until very recently. Now none of them will shut up. Most Bills fans dislike them because A) They stole the whole "12th man" thing from us(which we took from a college team) and B) Only being passionate about your team when they're winning is the very definition of bandwagon fans, and that's the majority of their current fan base. At least Bills fans were as passionate for the 10 straight years of finishing under .500 as they will be when we make the playoffs this year.

And the Cowboys are just really high profile. People think Jerry Jones is a rich douche and their market is huge. Calling yourself "America's team" is a pretty douche move too. The other high profile teams in the NFC are too likable to be in this conversation. People love the Packers because the franchise is owned by the fans. People like the Saints because of fairy tale ending of them winning the SB after Katrina. The Niners MAYBE, but I've never heard anyone say they hated the Niners.

Yeah, agreed. Most hate comes from division rivals but everything you said makes the Cowboys both loved and hated. The Yankees of the NFL.

I'm just glad most people hate the Patriots now. It's funny that I've been extremely vocal about thinking they were downright cheaters in LOTS of aspects of the game for yearsssssss and people would always brush it off. Talking about the Patriots being cheaters, at least once Spygate blew over, was one of those "Who cares this guy is just ranting BS" types of things. Now it's probably the most talked about topic of any offseason in the past 20 years, and all over the country. I feel like Randy Quad in Independence Day when everyone thought he was a loony for claiming he got abducted by aliens, only for him to be vindicated when they actually invaded years later.

If football could give erections I'd have enough in the spank bank to keep me hard for like 10 years straight. =D

Are they planning on taking away any of their Super Bowls?

Doesn't matter to me at all. What's infinitely more important is that this whole "dynasty" will forever have the cheating stigma attached to it. When people talk about the Bill Bellichick and Tom Brady Patriots 30 years from now like they talk about the '85 Bears defense or the '90 Bills K-gun offense today, they'll always bring up the cheating. I couldn't ask for a better outcome.

Just dont fly your jet into any UFOs, GM. :)

If UFOs = Tom Brady's fase, I'm taking one for the team.

Better a winning dynasty than a loser one.

When they start handing back their rings I'm sure it won't really matter.

Better a losing dynasty than a winning dynasty known for cheating. Being a bad team is washed away in the tides of time. Always. Nobody remembers franchises for their bad times. If you bring up "Patriots" in a conversation nobody is going to think back to when they were the whipping boys of the Bills and Dolphins for 20 years straight. When you mention the Saints nobody is having instant flashbacks to when their fans wore paper bags over their heads and called the team the "Aint's." They instantly think of Brady and Brees and the success they've had.

Teams are remembered and defined for their good years. Almost every franchise has had a few in their history. And now the Patriots' best roster, the one that would be remembered as a dynasty, has this huge stigma attached to them that people will always remember. That's worth more to me than them admitting they cheated and giving back a couple rings.

Let's put it this way, closer to home for me: In the same way that the Bills team of '90-'94 are kind of dismissed even though they were one of them best teams in NFL history, all because they lost 4 straight Superbowls... That's how this Patriots' dynasty will be remembered. Nobody but Bills fans really bring up that team in the conversations of the "great" teams in the league's history and nobody but Patriots fans will bring up the current Patriots' team in those conversations long after Brady and Bellichick retire.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how good you were or how much you accomplished in the NFL. There can always be a bigger headline that saps away that respect you would/should have had. For the Bills it was the 4 straight losses. For the Patriots it will be the cheating scandals.

Are the 83 Raiders remembered for dirty cheap shots or Super Bowl Champions?

Are the Steelers considered unworthy of back to back championships because of now accepted steroid abuse?

History is written by the winners. I don't personally like the Patriots either but can't escape the fact that Brady is probably the greatest player to ever suit up and the consistency of their team is no small means due to Belichik . I blame the Patriots no more for spygate than I do for their opponents letting them know their plays. Ditto deflate gate. Not only did both teams use the same balls under the same conditions, it was just amateur by the NFL not to be responsible for game day conditions such as the ball.