• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Tennessee sends agents to Bonnaroo to collect taxes on illegal drugs

Why not a murder tax so killers can help pay for "murder enforcement"?

Man I've never even heard of this festival sounds pretty chill. To bad bout the police pressence and that stamp tax bullshit. I thought that sometime in the 30's or 40's the goverment got rid of this silly law, or is this a new one?

FDRinTRINIDAD said:
Man I've never even heard of this festival sounds pretty chill. To bad bout the police pressence and that stamp tax bullshit. I thought that sometime in the 30's or 40's the goverment got rid of this silly law, or is this a new one?

They never got rid of the law they just stopped enforcing it, they have recently started again because states are desperate for revenue. Thats also why they are now raising a holy shit storm over missing out on sales tax on out of state purchases, even though catalogs have been around for more then a century.

Man I've never even heard of this festival sounds pretty chill
its the huge jam band festival that everyone and their mom goes to, allot of it is full of kids who dont really care for the music just want the drugs and to party (which is ok with me, i mean everyone likes to have a good time).

there are still plenty of really chill festivals all around the US that dont bring as much heat as bonnaroo and cost like 200 dollars less (bonnaroo is like 250 dollars or something crazy).

but yea, this is bullshit... fuck tennesee and the twenty four other states who still enforce this archaic fucking tax.

FDRinTRINIDAD said:
To bad bout the police pressence and that stamp tax bullshit. I thought that sometime in the 30's or 40's the goverment got rid of this silly law, or is this a new one?

The US federal government used to have a tax stamp law called the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937, and they had no intentions of getting rid of it until Timothy Leary successfully challenged it in the Supreme Court in 1969. He showed that it violated the 5th Amendment because you were forced to incriminate yourself to purchase the tax stamps. That's why the individual states that have tax stamp laws that they're still enforcing (such as Tennessee), allow you to purchase the stamps anonymously (though I have my doubts about how anonymous that process really is). That still doesn't make double jeopardy any less unconstitutional though.

how do they tax something that is illegal? that seems pretty absurd.

Why does middle america stand for this crap? I thought they liked "freedom"

Mehm said:
how do they tax something that is illegal? that seems pretty absurd.

Why does middle america stand for this crap? I thought they liked "freedom"
Freedom is trivial if you aren't safe with your M-16 and dont have Wal-Marts to keep you happy buying material possessions and unhealthy food.

Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose...

Americans are raised like sheep - we're kept fat, dumb, and encaged in increasing numbers.

so does anyone have any idea how it went down? Bonarroo ends tonight and I'd like to know what the festival go-ers say about this. I got a feeling this shit hardly made an impact, besides ruining some harmless hippie's weekend.
I just want to see how this gets spun by the DEA (or whoever) and compare it with what the festival go-ers say.

I talked to my freinds friday they seemed to be tripping nicely if that counts

Edit:First of all, I realized I was back on the Bonnaroo view of this hypocrisy...Thought I was still on the older topics focusing more on the laws instead of the bullshit goin down at Bonnaroo.....Anyways, regarding the stamp system...

Being a TN native, I believe it can either fuck the complete hell out of you since double jeopardy is in effect, along with the actual criminal charges that they are also convicting you of.......

OR....

Give you the ability to somewhat fuck the system over at least when regarding marijuana if you are eventually caught. A stamp, which covers a gram and costs $3.50, if you are caught with whatever amount of green, you completely bypass the INSANE amount of cash they will require you to pay by the raised fines they enforce if you dont purchase the stamps......

TN State Law- ANY amount of green: Max Fine- $2500....(Of course, the fine increases if you are in possesion of more than 1 1/2 ozs).....If you dont have a lawyer, then be prepared to have that fine laid on ya....Depending on amount, you might visit jail for 11/29, might not...The fine, it's coming regardless....Minimum fine they hand down (For even a gram of fucking kill!) $250.....

Really, it's the Feds man....Go 2 Norml and see how fucked their punishments can amount 2....

For an ounce and a half of marijuana, just above the limit for a misdemeanor drug charge, the tax amounts to about $165, said Al Laney, director of tax enforcement for the state revenue department.

lol basically about how much a half zip of decent shit costs

fucking idiots. they need to take drugs so they have a fucking clue. taxing people for getting high... OMG WERE MISSING A SPOT IN THE SYSTEM WHERE WE COULD FURTHER SQUEEZE BLOOD OUT OF THIS CATTLE-LIKE COMMODITY WE CALL OUR OWN POPULATIOn!!!

bonaroo is kind of for the college going, im-a-hippy-when-mom-and-dad-arent-looking, get high on my parents bank account, drive my lexus SUV to go be a hippy for the weekend, types tho... not like id consider that a "hippy festival." wasnt fucking dave matthews band there last year?

ive been told the amount of DOx *cough* i mean *cough* uhm acid there is immense tho.

^^oh shit, it tasted like perfume and I tripped for 14 hours on one hit!

i might rethink hitting bonaroo next year, im planning it already, but maybe i just hit other fests. i was planning it for this year but since im graduate highs chool, cant miss graduation..lame

One of my friends now lives in TN (I have no idea why, no offense to any TN'ers but come'on) and worked at this year's Bonnaroo. SOOOO much shady shit goes down behind the scenes. Over 600 workers are there 5 days before the gates open, and are allowed to go in and out of the gates to anywhere on the festival site, without being searched or checked or whatever. Those workers also have a lot of friends, that happen to come by to "hang out" a few days before the fest starts and then just decide to stick around for it. Most of the security guards are local yokels who heavily invest in the drug dealing inside (letting certain people in with anything they want, etc...)

I swear man, the civil war hasn't ended down in Tennessee. Last year, at Bonnaroo, we were there with NY plates and our car got tossed. Then I look at the area for where they tell cars to pull over, and BAM.. EVERY car had either New York or Mass. Plates. Those yokel security guards were even making fun of the NYC accent on a few people!

As huge and commercial as it is, it's still fairly easy to sneak into. Last year I ended up buying a wristband from someone working at a gas station the "next town over" from where the fest site was for les than $100. Almost $150 LESS than face value of a ticket. There were people selling tickets outside for up to $400!!! Someone once said to me, "if you pay to get into bonnaroo, you're a sucker." I used to think those were words of some tour-rat trash, but after witnessing how the festival is really ran I think they are more words of wisdom now.

I feel bad for those poor people who's HOUSE is right in the MIDDLE of the fucking festival site. We stayed literally 10 feet from their back yard (which was fenced off by barbed wire)

Throughout new york (the whole state, not just the city) POT laws are fairly lax now. It seems to be on a situational basis, instead of a hard-wired "just executing the law" bullshit cop mentality. A cop from upstate NY told me that you can have upwards of a Quarter Pound in your posession, and as long as you don't have any warrents for your arrested, the QP isnt' broken down, and you don't have a shitload of cash and a scale in your posession with it... they'll either write you something similar to a TRAFFIC CITATION -or- simply TAKE IT and tell you to "get the fuck outtaaah heearr." The courts are clogged with so much bullshit that I think they're really trying to cut back petty things, like pot. Also, with Rochester in upstate NY taking the cake for the highest murder rate (PER CAPITA) in the country multiple years in a row, I think they have better priorities up there ( a girl from there told me she got popped with 12 hits of acid on her and the cop simply took it and told her to "go home"), NYC might be a little different/strict, but still, nothing more than a simple TRAFFIC CITATION for your first time here.

Middle America needs to get it's priorities straight.

Last edited: