Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Taxi poll finds passengers 'take drugs in cabs'

JoshE

Bluelight Crew
One in five Perth taxi drivers believe they have witnessed passengers openly taking illegal drugs in their cabs, an investigation by The West Australian has revealed.

Out of 100 drivers randomly surveyed in the past two weeks across the metropolitan area, 20 per cent said passengers had either intravenously injected illicit drugs, taken ecstasy tablets or smoked marijuana while in their cabs.

Almost all of the drivers believed they had picked up passengers who were drug-affected. Some of the drivers had been offered illegal drugs instead of cash as payment for a fare, had been forced to dispose of syringes and tablets left on the back seat, had been asked to source drugs or been asked if they minded whether their passengers used drugs while in transit.

One driver at Perth Domestic Airport said brazen drug use in taxis was on the rise. "It's widespread but no one wants to know," he said.

Another driver in Subiaco, who believed ecstasy was the most commonly used drug by passengers, said users were from different age groups and demographics. "It's fresh-faced men and women trying to have a good time," he said. "Even mum and dad types."

While some drivers said they had stopped and asked passengers to get out because they were taking drugs, another driver working in the Subiaco area said what happened on the back seat was not his responsibility.

While the majority of drivers had not actually witnessed passengers taking drugs in their taxis, the results of the survey were received with concern by Drug Free Australia, a peak body representing organisations committed to raising drug awareness.

Executive officer Jo Baxter said brazen, open drug-taking was symptomatic of the high level of social acceptance illicit substances had attained in Australian society.

"Taxi drivers have had issues with alcohol for many years, now it's expanding to illicit drugs," she said.

Chairman of the Taxi Council of WA, Kevin Foley, said drug abuse in cabs had not been raised as an issue by drivers. But he was not surprised by the results of the survey.

"It's something more that the driver has to deal with," Mr Foley said.

He said the survey reinforced the need for penalties to be introduced that carried a jail term for assaulting taxi drivers, like those that covered transit officers.

Mr Foley was not critical of drivers turning a blind eye to nefarious activity on their backseat because some were not physically capable of stopping potentially volatile passengers from using drugs.

"If I was a big young bloke about 30, I'd pull them out of the car," he said. "But if I was 50, I'd shut my mouth, finish the hiring and be thankful nothing worse came out of it."
A police spokeswoman urged drivers who were concerned or felt threatened to call police.

Source: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/7683740/taxi-poll-finds-passengers-take-drugs-in-cabs/

Hahaha thats awesome. I can't believe people were IV'ing shit in the back of a taxi.

hmm iv'ing in a moving vehicle. now thats some mad junk shooting up skills

Everyone has pulled drugs out infront of cabbies. I've had cabbies drive me to do deals, wait for me, know what was going on and laugh about it and tell me how good the heroin is in their country - and how they can tell by smell if its good or shit. lol

I actually showed one a sample once, he had a sniff and goes, hmm smells alright mate.

heddah: I've done it in the passenger seat of a car whilst driving, and used the seatbelt as a tourniquet, how does that qualify on your 'mad skills' agenda?

Fucking pro in my books ;).

Ive had drugs out in front of cabbies and taken them etc and talked about them but I dunno about IVing in front of them. More for their sake.

If you need the hit then and there, it's probs best he watches then watches the alternative.

Do you guys have cameras and audio recording equipment in your cabs like we do in Canberra?

Do you guys have cameras and audio recording equipment in your cabs like we do in Canberra?

^ My auntie is a taxi driver here in Perth, and yea they have surveillance shit but obviously it doesn't stop people from doing drugs haha. Ive popped flip's in the passenger seat, snorted speed and coke on a taxi driver's business card and have even shouted a cone to this afghan taxi driver one time...

He even showed me his joint rolling skill's..I reckon most taxi driver's out there don't really give a shit as long as there is no trouble and that they get their fare.

Last edited:
I call bullshit. 1 / 5 drivers is a lot. But then again, they work long shifts and over there whole driving career I guess you'd see a fair bit. so I guess I take back my bullshit call.

like JoshE, i've also shouted a driver a cone once.

NEVER pulled drugs out in a cab though. That is just retarded.

I've popped pills on the sly numerous times in cabs, in reality they probably noticed atleast some of the times but honestly why would they give a fuck? If they throw you out it's just less fare for them.

Offered a taxi driver mushys a week ago he was thinking about having em while driving but i told him its probably not such a good idea. He was a definite mad cunt!

I've popped pills on the sly numerous times in cabs, in reality they probably noticed atleast some of the times but honestly why would they give a fuck? If they throw you out it's just less fare for them.

exactly. i know if i was a taxi driver i wudnt give a fuck.

maybe even find a contact or 2, or 3 ;)

hmm iv'ing in a moving vehicle. now thats some mad junk shooting up skills

LOL can be done even on a public bus hehe - here in nz all taxis are fully cam'd+audio due to the attacks that have happened. LOL I even get the cab to wait while I quickly score , they'll stay if ya leave a $20 note heh, most of the cab drivers ive come across seem to be heavily tweaked. Though my mate found a blue dolphin pill on backseat floor of cab in melbourne, score!!

I've shared joints with cabbies more times than I can count. Most of them oppose alcohol consumption, mostly because of where they come from I suppose. I've had cabbies ask me to hook them up with bud before to, they say they just can't get it anywhere! Makes me laugh knowing we're in Australia! That's like saying you can't find sand on the beach.

Plenty of times I've been tripping my arse off gettig into cabs, and they're usually really interested in understanding what it's about. Get to dismiss a lot of myths that are passed on to them. As mentioned above I think they ony realy care if you're causing a problem. What is exposed as more of a threat, a drunken arsehole or fried stoner?

I completely forgot about all the cabbies that have tried to sell me Catha Edulis. Mostly happens in Melbourne.

Man I was in a Cab with two mates all of us on LSD after this DJ event the other week in Perth. Like My friends were relatively stable and normal in thier conversation but then as soon as I started talking id start talking to the taxi driver about all this trippy shit and he was just like freaking out so he definitley knew we were all on some sort of hallucigen. He was pretty cool though because we were just talking about stupid shit like how freaky his dice on the mirror looked so he didnt even complain. We like tipped him though so he was fucken stoked. Most of them are pretty clued in on whats going on, but like never feel the need to intervene because what good would it do, as they would loose thier pay. but yeh Perth Cabbies are sick lol

i've had a taxi driver ask me if I can hook him up with any pills.

other than that, I haven't openly used drugs in a taxi but used them to go pick up drugs. the one time the guy knew what was going on, and he didn't give a fuck. if anything he was curious.

Most of the taxi drivers seem pretty chill about it, particualrly if you are under the influence. I'm sure alot of them would rather some munted guy chewing their ear off about plans to go to India and dance on the beach in Goa, than some drunk bogan tell them to fuck off to their own country.

Most of the taxi drivers seem pretty chill about it, particualrly if you are under the influence. I'm sure alot of them would rather some munted guy chewing their ear off about plans to go to India and dance on the beach in Goa, than some drunk bogan tell them to fuck off to their own country.

QFT. many occasions i've been off my face in a taxi, and talked to 'em endlessly. pretty much everyone i've talked to said they'd rather have ppl on drugs in their cab, much less chance of spewing, not gonna be an asshole (most of the time), and taxi drivers need a break from monotony. always interesting driving a gacked dude somewhere, and they always get heaps of free chewy at least :)