• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Tattoo FAQ - please make separate threads for image ideas

Well it seems strange that a professional tattoo artist would tell you to put any kind of bacitracin on seeing as that is to help heal infections not prevent them. After a tattoo you keep it covered for 24 hours then shower and pat dry as normal, and start putting a fragrance free lotion (like curel). Dont peel or pick if it scabs up.

Stay out of the sun for a few weeks if possible, hot tubs too if i remember right. I think red ink is more sensitive to sunlight at first too.

Well, what the fuck, i searched for "TATTOO CARE" in the search and i did not get ONE thread with tattoo and care in the same thread title. Then i post this one and a thread called exactly that popped up at the bottom of the page. sorry for double postin, but damn that shit is wack , ima remember to not trust the search. Heres the link to the thread that is pretty much the same as mine but if yall dont mind answerin m y specific Q's then that is cool too. :) http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=134839

when i got my tattoo, my artist told me to use Dial Soap and I bought some INK FIXX....the tattoo turned out ok, but the ink fixx brought out some of the color which pissed me off but at least he fixed it for me

there is only one thing for tattoos.
bepanthen
kIrjfLful43FkgKzQmS0ja-30.image.jpg

nappy rash cream.
no shit, it's what's been used on every one of my tats and they all heal up within a week.

Lacey, don't worry about it being lumpy. That always heals evetually, unless you're like real dirty and shit. If it itches, slap it.

Last edited:
9mmCensor said:
pics when its not all gross!!!

It aint gross at all now and never was, for the first 3 days it looked like id had it all my life you couodnt even tell it was new. right now it looks like it aint new from a distance the only way u can tell is that its a lil raised up over the skin.

shitty quality pic:
tattoo.jpg

HAHAHAHA dirty jersey!!! fuckin' awesome, lacey!

after my tattoos, i stayed out of the shower until the next day, and then i pat it dry real gently. no pools, jacuzzis, or baths for a while, either. it didn't even need to stay covered once i got home. i put aquaphor on it - you can find it next to the vaseline, or in the baby aisle (baby aquaphor is the same as regular; it just come in different packaging).

dude, aquaphor is GROSS - it's really thick and gooey. but it's fuckin' magical (and soothes itching, too). my tattoos healed up so damn fast and they look great, even over a year or two later. get yourself some aquaphor and spread it on there a couple times a day. you'll see and feel results in no time.

aquaphor.jpg

PI has a lot of great ink, i would follow that advice if shared by her.

Ha yea, but that pic makes it look mad shitty. the lettering is much nicer than that but the angle ssquished it down funny or somethin. when i get a better pic that shows the whole thing then yoiull see cuz in that one it looks uneven , but its actually nice and level not distorted like in the pic. DIRTY JERZEY FUCK YEA! damn straight.Always reppin, Oh yea and i drew it myself, thats 100% original text baby! no bullshit ass flash lettering for me.

But yea, PI's post link waspretty much what I been hearin , so, looks good my paranoia is fading.

I have had two different opinions and used both to great success

Option 1. Pat dry after shower with paper towel. Apply non scented Luberderm hand lotion to tattoo to avoid drying up and cracking. Apply until fully healed.

Option2. Pat dry with paper towel. Apply Preperation H (yes the hemorrhoid cream) to tattoo area to prevent drying and cracking. Apply until fully healed.

The Prep-H version healed much quicker...about half the time.

Sounds like your tat will heal up just fine. I've always used Bepanthen but seriously, after all the scabbing falls off it's healed!

dreamgirlie19 said:
Well it seems strange that a professional tattoo artist would tell you to put any kind of bacitracin on seeing as that is to help heal infections not prevent them. After a tattoo you keep it covered for 24 hours then shower and pat dry as normal, and start putting a fragrance free lotion (like curel). Dont peel or pick if it scabs up..

I've gotten tattoos done from several different artists and all of them had aftercare instructions saying to use neosporin or bacitracin on them for the first few days then use unscented lotion afterwards for awhile. That's what I've always done and they all healed perfectly fine. I did buy some tattoo goo stuff one time instead of using neosporin and I loved that stuff but haven't found it anywhere since.

neosporin and things like that are bad because they will cause your tattoo to scab and it'll pull out the ink. i have a tat on my wrist and i added tiny stars to it that were filled in, and i used neosporin on it because i was out of everything else, and the stars are barely outlines now.

A&D ointment is good (it's basically the base of what neosporin is without the antibiotics), it's what i always use, but just a very thin layer for the first 3 or 4 days, then i move on to unscented/uncolored water based lotion.

tattoo goo is available at lots of tattoo shops. :) it's good stuff too. if you have that, just use it, don't bother with a&d or lotion or anything.

i dont' ahve any tats yet so i can't comment on how to care for it but i wanted to +1 the aquaphor thing. it works wonder for itching and healing; i use it on my daughter after her baths sometimes. it is pretty nasty but a little bit of warm, soapy water gets it off your hands without any problems.

syymphonatic said:
neosporin and things like that are bad because they will cause your tattoo to scab and it'll pull out the ink. i have a tat on my wrist and i added tiny stars to it that were filled in, and i used neosporin on it because i was out of everything else, and the stars are barely outlines now.

A&D ointment is good (it's basically the base of what neosporin is without the antibiotics), it's what i always use, but just a very thin layer for the first 3 or 4 days, then i move on to unscented/uncolored water based lotion.

tattoo goo is available at lots of tattoo shops. :) it's good stuff too. if you have that, just use it, don't bother with a&d or lotion or anything.

thanks for the info :) my last couple tattoos didn't scab over despite the use of bacatracin (sp?) and actually now that i remember, the woman that did 2 of my tattoos when i lived in PA insisted i use A&D for aftercare. she actually gave out sample tubes of it in care packages with the aftercare instructions.

i want another tattoo so bad! i don't know why i keep putting it off. i know exactly what i want. i'm a firm believe in the "right time" to get tattoos though. if that doesn't make sense to you then whatever, its my thing =D

Aquaphor is great! And remember to slap the tattoo if it itches... dont scratch it. Dont peel the skin, and the raised skin is normal, I got it with all of my tats and in fact every so often it will become slightly raised (this is usually when theres a big weather change) but just use lotion that doesnt have scent... and if its dry, put lotion on it. You cant over moisturize it. If its hydrated, just let it be.

Meeko Baybee said:
... and if its dry, put lotion on it. You cant over moisturize it. If its hydrated, just let it be.

i thought there was such a thing as OVER-moisturizing a tattoo. i went into a tattoo place to get inked and i had just gotten a tattoo about 10 days before, so i was still putting lotion on it, and the tattoo artist i went to (not the one who did it, but the one i was getting new ink from) told me i had WAAAAAYYY too much goop on it *shrugs*

but i have sensitive skin and it would always feel dry/itchy unless i put shit on it fairly often (not *too* often), so i kept it hydrated to avoid those feelings.