Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Tackling the bigger issues - Gay education to kids

college_dropout said:
GOT IT IN ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHILDREN DO NOT NEED TO KNOW ABOUT HOMOSEXUALITY OR ANY SORT OF SEXUALITY, LET THEM JUST BE KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is the bottom line! And to be honest it does get really annoying when it almost seems like gay people are forcing themselves on the rest of society. I know they just want the same respect that anyone else gets but they need to understand that there are people out there who think homosexuality is wrong. I am one of them but that doesn't mean I am a bigot it just means that I don't agree with their choice of lifestyle.

"choice of lifestyle"? by fuck you morons shit me. sometimes i wish i was gay, just to piss you off.

Collage Dropout

You're not a bigot but you dont "agree" with their choice of lifestyle.

Who cares what homosexuals do. Why should you be scared or against their lifestyle? It's not as if they are ruining you're way of life. Denial maybe? *wink*

For fucks sake. Live and let live! :)

^^ don't worry, they're just scared of being fucked up the arse and enjoy it

Being gay or not is not a choice.

Living the "gay lifestyle" however is a choice.

Who you love, and how you act do not have to be completely intertwined.

However, that said, some people make excellent parents, some don't. Some of those excellent parents are straight, some are gay... it doesn't and shouldn't make a difference.

Build a little bridge, all through the kindergarten, and get the fuck over it.

CB.

silvia saint said:
"choice of lifestyle"? by fuck you morons shit me. sometimes i wish i was gay, just to piss you off.

that's the worst threat ever, ahahahaha

anyway, i think what people are mostly concerned with are the implications that may arise if same-sex partnerships are introduced as a norm to people at an early age, and to what extent. i doubt we're going to be seeing any 'bi-curious george' books in the future, but i digress.

since children shouldn't be told about the facts of life until they are mentally mature enough to grasp the concept (age 7-10. funny aside, my mum told me the facts of life in 5 mins, then spent an hour speaking about rape and how it's wrong. my mother is fucked mentally). due to this, i have no problem with the status quo of the atomic family being knocked, as children's minds aren't going to progress from "johnny's parents are both ladies" to "johnny's mum is a rugmunching munter" without the aforementioned knowledge of reproduction.

motherfuckers, they are still going to be eating clag, don't give kids so much credit

Last edited:
oh and just a reminder.... we aren't actually talking about telling kids about sexuality but about family structures. There's a difference.

and my 2 cents - those that think homosexuality is wrong ARE biggots. Who the hell are you to judge who someone loves?

^^ the opening post of the 'nude bluelighters' thread quickly put an end to that

endlesseulogy said:
^^Teaching kids about sexuality will give them a reference point when they are put in the situation where they face it. Sex is everywhere. It's unavoidable. Id rather my kid have an understanding of what it really is then have to be sheltered from it while having pre-conceived notions that will one day turn into prejudice. Who are we to stay when its THEIR right or wrong time to know?

I'm sure most of us weren't actively "taught" about homosexuality, and we're definitely not all prejudiced.

I agree with preacha, it's just not something that little brains understand. I have a daycare-aged child, and whilst she knows that my 'name' is mummy, and my husband is 'daddy', she doesn't understand the relationship we have with each other, or whether it's "normal". Little kids are very accepting of most situations, I'm not sure whether teaching them that they shouldn't be prejudiced against something will actually just teach them what prejudice is.

I'm reminded of a girl I knew when I was 6. She was very dark skinned (African) and also deaf (wore two hearing aids). We didn't like her because she was a pain in the arse, but our teachers brought us all together to tell us off - for not liking her because she was deaf and her skin was different. Hadn't even crossed our minds.

I would prefer that the responsibility of teaching my children about acceptance and understanding those sort of intimate family dynamics be mine, and that it could be left up to me to decide when they're ready and able to understand what I'm even talking about.

I agree with preacha, it's just not something that little brains understand. I have a daycare-aged child, and whilst she knows that my 'name' is mummy, and my husband is 'daddy', she doesn't understand the relationship we have with each other, or whether it's "normal". Little kids are very accepting of most situations, I'm not sure whether teaching them that they shouldn't be prejudiced against something will actually just teach them what prejudice is.

Good point.

I'm reminded of a girl I knew when I was 6. She was very dark skinned (African) and also deaf (wore two hearing aids). We didn't like her because she was a pain in the arse, but our teachers brought us all together to tell us off - for not liking her because she was deaf and her skin was different. Hadn't even crossed our minds.

I think it's important to note that times have changed. The world just isn't the same place. Small children are finding out about these things at a younger age, through many different mediums, but in the wrong context. Also, theres going to come a time where many children in daycare will have two fathers or mothers. Its fast becoming a reality. Plus I think this education is to focusing on the union side of things rather then the sexual side.

endlesseulogy said:
^^This world needs more love. Who gives a damn about the source.

couldnt agree more. the adultification or sexualisation of children it certainly doesnt.

And not so long ago it was taboo to speak of single parents or inter racial parents in this context, but that's all mainstream now. I'd like to think that will happen in this case, but I'm pretty sure it won't, or if it does it'll take a long, long time.

doofqueen said:
and my 2 cents - those that think homosexuality is wrong ARE biggots. Who the hell are you to judge who someone loves?

Babe, in order for wanting others to be tolerant one must exude tolerance oneself ! People are sometimes brought up in different cultures or have different backgrounds which may in fact give them very good reason to reject homosexuality as a valid sexual lifestyle. I am sure that you have your own prejudices and stereotypes that have been formed from your own back ground and experiences. Its just how the world works.

doofqueen said:
On the topic of the mardi gras and gay people "flaunting" their sexuality, i have to say that's a bit of a cop out that i've been hearing for years from people who are homophobic

hetro people have rights automatically so don't need to have a pride parade because they already ARE accepted. Mardi gras isn't about flaunting your sexuality. It's more about being able to be free about it for one night of the year.

that argument is old... very generic and null and void, just like the old "hetero couples fight and abuse their children..." go get fucked. no, homo couples NEVER fight or, whatever... if your so "proud" to be "out", then have a mardi gras every day of the year. "out and proud", is a saying that displays personal shame at being in the closet in the first place. pride and sexuality are two words that dont go together.

just what fucking rights are you talking about ? your right to deny a child the right that it has to have a mother and a father ? dont you get it ? its not about your rights, its about childrens. when you get that through your thick skull...

your using your sexuality and also the violence between hetero partnerships as a platform. not a good start. in fact, your blowing yourself out of the water.

that is the worst start you can get off to when it comes to providing a psychological foundation for a child.

yes, ALL my gay freinds know my stance on this issue. and they respect my view. 99% of them agree that it is the height of selfishness to beleive that you have the right to, not bring, but "create" and i use that term VERY loosely, a family.

nobody has the right to push their form of sexuality on someone either. and to children ? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FUCKING JOKING.

how about we start teaching them about b and d, or maybe s and m. after all, its just another part of sexuality.

people, need to realise that they, first and foremost, have responsibility, not rights. when we get that right, well, then we will be on the right track. whatever sex, or sexual persasion, or race, or creed, or colour, or whatever you are.

Haha this thread reminds me off when I was 6,and I asked a dark skinned man,

"Excuse me, Why havent you taken a shower ?"

My mother nearly died with embarressment !

With that situation in mind I dont believe that my childcare was responsible for teaching me all about how people can be different to us. I guess as a general concept it, its ok, as mentioned above, but the beauty of growing and learning is that you have experiences like that where something can be explained on a need to know basis. I think this whole idea of everyone going, "Oh, its not sexuality we are teaching them is ridiculous. We may try hard to avoid it, but I can tell you now that kids are bloody smart and they will ask questions. Like - which mummys tummy did Dave come out of ? How will you explian that one ? With half truths and lies ? A child care worker is NOT responsible and in MY eyes is not qualified to speak to children about such personal issues. Its parent-child relationship full of trust and truth in which such matters should be discussed.

Oh and I would like to add, that I believe that homosexual couples should have more rights in having children and hetrosexual couples much much much less. They should be assessed on their ability to love their child, regardless of class or money. Every couple, regardless of sex, race or disability.

anna! said:
I don't understand why children should be taught about any kind of sexuality.

Is it to save embarrassment in social situations ("Mummy, why does that girl have two daddies?")? Kids will do that about everything - why is that guy in a wheelchair, that lady is really fat, what's wrong with her face, etc.

Kids learn roles and relationships from the social context they're born into. In the same way that Johnny-With-Two-Daddies won't be actively taught about heterosexuality in kindergarten, neither should my daughters need to be taught about homosexuality.

Not because I'm homophobic, far from it! I just don't think sexuality and sexual attraction in general is a suitable topic for little kids. Why don't they wait till sex ed in Year 7?

it shouldnt be taught until first year high school and i dont see why we have to be taught about homosexuality. its a persons choice to find out about it, not have it shoved down their throats something that they may find repulsive.

show me a child that doesnt want and need a mummy and a daddy ans maybe you will have a valid argument. until then, well, you dont have one.

breakyaself said:
Oh and I would like to add, that I believe that homosexual couples should have more rights in having children and hetrosexual couples much much much less. They should be assessed on their ability to love their child, regardless of class or money. Every couple, regardless of sex, race or disability.

see, here we go on this age old and very baseless argument. its just that you would never see this argument hold up in a court of law when it would come to the adoption of a child or i.v.f introduction of a child to a gay couple. you cannot judge the "ability" of someone to love a child. ridiculous. forget it.

life-a said:
its a persons choice to find out about it, not have it shoved down their throats something that they may find repulsive.

If you take that line of argument shouldnt kids get a choice in relation to everything else they are taught then? Where do you draw the line? Plus I think one of the advantages of informing people at this age is that they can take it in before they gain a clear understanding of what "repulsive" is.