• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Swollen and contorted extremeties from mushrooms!

Transcendence

Bluelighter
Earlier today I drank rooibos / psilocybin mushroom tea prepared with 3.5g of the extremely potent Albino Penis Envy. I left baseline before I could even finish the cup. Approximately one hour after ingestion I noticed that my hands looked odd. Not only did they look inflated (to a cartoonish extent), but but each of my fingers were twisted a few degrees laterally. Naturally, I initially assumed this was simply a visual distortion--however, it soon became clear that something was seriously amiss.

I sat up and noticed that not only were my hands engorged and digits distended, but my arms were unevenly swollen as well: there were various patches of bulging tissue down my forearms, and other areas where I could see the radius bone. I removed my socks and noticed that my feet were alarmingly rotund. After walking around for a few minutes, the swelling mostly (but not completely) disappeared. Everything is fine now, although my limbs do still feel a bit heavy and sore.

I have tripped on mushrooms of different varieties and on many occasions, but this is the first time anything like this has happened to me. It would have been extremely alarming sober, never mind while tripping face. I did not take any other drugs or unusual substances. As far as I know I am in perfect health.

Why would psilocybin mushrooms cause fluid collection in the extremities? Is this experience a particularly odd occurrence? I'm not too worried about it, but should I be?

I've never heard of mushrooms causing water retention so can't really comment on that. I do know that my limbs look exactly how you describe every time I've taken mushrooms. I'm not saying you were just tripping and imagined the swelling, but are you sure you weren't just tripping and imagined the swelling? ;)

Other than that, I'll leave it to those that may have a better idea of any possible physical cause. Glad you're okay anyway :)

Arn't penis envy simply another form of cubensis? If so they arn't extremely potent and 3.5g is a very mild dose.

Yes ive had that b4 on shrooms and acid too. Evey single time i get water retention and i feel bloated even my whole face n neck. I tense up as well. Donno why it happens tho.

Arn't penis envy simply another form of cubensis? If so they arn't extremely potent and 3.5g is a very mild dose.

Please don't spread misinformation like this on a harm reduction board. You might get someone hurt.

Penis envy is the exception to the rule. It's a cubensis, but it's different enough from other cubes that it is often considered a subspecies of cubensis. Most PE strains are about 2x as potent as normal cubes.

That's awesome, I have certainly had shrooms which seemed 2x as potent for some reason. I normally don't trip off of 1.7g, but the last time I took that much I had at least a normal 8th exp. It was pretty nice.

Anybody have a pic of what these would look like?

They do indeed, Cap'n. They look like giant penises, oddly enough :)

NSFW:
fixed
2ccox1x.jpg

id definately give that penis a little nibble.

that strain has always intrugued me because of the name and strange looking shrooms. havent had a chanve to try it yet though

How did you figure out that it wasn't just a visual distortion?

I imagine that it was quite scary. The thing with your fingers being twisted suggests that it was more than just water retention...

I could see that mushries could possibly cause water retention somehow (no idea how but somehow perhaps) but there's no way I can think of that mushrooms could cause fingers to become physically twisted. Maybe if they were some kinda toxic mushroom causing spasms, cramping or similar but that's a but of a stretch. I doubt anyone could mistake Penis Envy for some mildly poisonous variety with digit-twisting properties.

It really does sound like the classic visual distortions you (well I certainly) get on shrooms. I get the same thing every time and also on HBWR sometimes.

Please don't spread misinformation like this on a harm reduction board. You might get someone hurt.

Come again? Penis envy are a strain of psilocybe cubensis - 3.5g of cubensis is not going to cause anyones extremities to swell with water. Please don't spread scare stories and urban myths.

Penis envy is the exception to the rule. It's a cubensis, but it's different enough from other cubes that it is often considered a subspecies of cubensis. Most PE strains are about 2x as potent as normal cubes.

I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Psilocybe cubensis is the species. You don't get one strain twice as strong as the other strains. There are countless strains of cubensis that have been claimed to be "twice as strong as the others". It's absolute bollocks.

This happened to me and my friends a few years ago too. It was also penis envy. My friend had it the worst her whole body swelled up and at first we where all laughing and thought it was a hallucination but then We had a sober person check it out and he said we where all swelling. Her whole body swelled up and me and the other guy too but just our hands and feet. It took her a few days for the swelling to go down, but everyone was ok. It was a really good trip turned scary.

Come again? Penis envy are a strain of psilocybe cubensis - 3.5g of cubensis is not going to cause anyones extremities to swell with water. Please don't spread scare stories and urban myths.

Not a scare story, not an urban myth. I have not only experienced this and have friends that have experienced it. I have also found on other forums the same exact reaction. And it always involves penis envy. We ate about 4g. and it happened to us. I would definitely advise a lower dose for penis envy due to personal experience. However, I will never take this strain again. It's all fun and games till someone ends up in the hospital.

Ismene, you were called out for saying that "3.5g is a very mild dose" of mushrooms. Regardless of strain, that is dangerous misinformation. This isn't the first time you've downplayed dosage amounts as not that strong. What are you trying to do? Get people to do heroic doses? Make it seem like they're sissies if they don't take so much? Dicksizing much? You did it in the other thread saying that 30 buttons of peyote is normal. I can tell you very honestly that if I took 3.5g of the mushrooms I have now, I wouldn't remember a thing. And if I took 30 of the peyote buttons I have access to, I'd probably need a shaman or five.

Please stop going around saying "that's not that strong, THIS is STRONG..." It's not productive, it's not HR, and it seems sort of egotistical.

Ismene, you were called out for saying that "3.5g is a very mild dose" of mushrooms. Regardless of strain, that is dangerous misinformation. This isn't the first time you've downplayed dosage amounts as not that strong. What are you trying to do? Get people to do heroic doses? Make it seem like they're sissies if they don't take so much? Dicksizing much? You did it in the other thread saying that 30 buttons of peyote is normal. I can tell you very honestly that if I took 3.5g of the mushrooms I have now, I wouldn't remember a thing. And if I took 30 of the peyote buttons I have access to, I'd probably need a shaman or five.

Please stop going around saying "that's not that strong, THIS is STRONG..." It's not productive, it's not HR, and it seems sort of egotistical.

Why would anyone dog someone for something they posted 5 years ago...maybe Is has learned something in all that time...probably not, but maybe.;)

This happened to me and my friends a few years ago too. It was also penis envy. My friend had it the worst her whole body swelled up and at first we where all laughing and thought it was a hallucination but then We had a sober person check it out and he said we where all swelling. Her whole body swelled up and me and the other guy too but just our hands and feet. It took her a few days for the swelling to go down, but everyone was ok. It was a really good trip turned scary.

Yes, this also happened to a friend of mine. He was on a tour of a local candy factory at the time.
He swelled up and turned blue...if the Oompa Loompas hadn't squeezed him just in time there's no telling what might've become of him.

Oh, I just got it..."dick sizing" and "penis envy"...hiyuck...=D...orrr, am I just high...?8(

Last edited:

I wouldn't call it a mild dose, I've had 3.5 PE and it was a pretty powerful experience.

It's strange how different people react to drugs differently. I'm pretty sure you've said in another thread that 300 ug AL-LAD would be overwhelming for most people, where I found it to be quite mild. 3.5 PE was much stronger, though I wouldn't call it overwhelming.

Last edited:
Could be the result of mild toxic poisoning of some kind. Perhaps the shrooms had contaminate bacteria or fungi. Pick them yourself? How were they stored? how long for etc. Also possible the shrooms had been colonized by said pathogen during growth. If grown in a sterile substrate in a sterile grow chamber then??? Mild/moderate allergic reaction? Not a doctor, I wasn't able to take a blood culture from you and culture any purported pathogenic organisms so bit of a stab in the dark. Maybe you just tripped hard?

Why would anyone dog someone for something they posted 5 years ago...maybe Is has learned something in all that time...probably not, but maybe.;)

5 years ago? This was within the past few days.

doldrugs said:
I wouldn't call it a mild dose, I've had 3.5 PE and it was a pretty powerful experience.
^ this.