• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: notsmokeymcpot42088 | RUC4

Harm Reduction Suboxone for Depression/Anxiety ?

MedicinalUser247

Bluelighter
Joined
Aug 2, 2023
Messages
6,373
Okay, So about 15 years ago my Psychiatrist wanted to prescribe me Suboxone off label for my Depression and Anxiety. I didn't want other Doctors checking out that drug on my medication list. So, I said no to my Doctor. It makes me wonder did I do the wrong thing by saying no ? I was surprised she even considered it and brought it up. What do you think about it ? And what would other Doctors think if they saw that on my med list ?
 
Okay, So about 15 years ago my Psychiatrist wanted to prescribe me Suboxone off label for my Depression and Anxiety. I didn't want other Doctors checking out that drug on my medication list. So, I said no to my Doctor. It makes me wonder did I do the wrong thing by saying no ? I was surprised she even considered it and brought it up. What do you think about it ? And what would other Doctors think if they saw that on my med list ?
that's an interesting use for it. i've heard it has a few uses off label. could be helpful.
 
Do other opioids help your depression?

If so, then buprenorphine has the ability to be effective, somewhat.
I have borderline personality disorder, which means I feel my emotions incredibly robustly & things that might bother a normal person for a little bit, can bother me for much longer. I've found that buprenorphine really dampens my emotional output. Although I can still get pretty angry on it.

I'd say buprenorphine has the potential to make you more depressed after being on it long enough too. It helped my depression similar to other opioids in the beginning, but after 10 years of using it daily, it doesn't do jack shit for me as far as pain or depression goes. Still keeps my mood some what balanced though.

It's not common, but not completely unheard of for doctors to use opioids for depression. There is a theory that some treatment resistant major depression is caused by a dysfunction in the endorphin system, which opioids fix.

Depression can actually affect the part of the brain that processes physical pain. So yes, opioids can help depression.
Before SSRIs were invented, they used morphine & opium for depression. And it worked!

As far as other doctors go, some may look at it & treat you like crap for being on subs, or assume you're a drug addict.
But I had my wisdom teeth taken out a couple years ago while on Suboxone & they still gave me 15 tramadol after the fact. So it all really ends up being at the discretion of the doctor. Some doctors don't care if you were on subs & will still give you meds if you're in pain.

I recently lost my Suboxone doctor. And at my yearly physical, I brought up to my GP that tramadol worked better for me than buprenorphine. And he said he had no problem putting me back on tramadol. Except that was 2 months ago & he still hasn't done it, so I doubt I'll even get it. But I was still shocked that he even had an open enough mind to consider giving me my tramadol back.

Personally, unless you were a heavy opioid user/lover to begin with, I think avoiding buprenorphine may have been the right choice.
It may only be a partial agonist but it's almost as potent as fentanyl & can cause a big tolerance to opioids. Plus if you're on high doses & need acute pain relief, the buprenorphine will block what ever they give you for the pain. So then you would have ended up with a dependence on a shitty, potent partial agonist opioid, on top of dealing with your depression.


Tramadol & heroin use to help my major depression tremendously. So much so, that now I'm angry every single day that heroin & tramadol aren't legally available over-the-counter. Because that means I'm basically being forced to live a miserable life all because of pathetic drug war hysteria.
 
Last edited:
Okay, So about 15 years ago my Psychiatrist wanted to prescribe me Suboxone off label for my Depression and Anxiety. I didn't want other Doctors checking out that drug on my medication list. So, I said no to my Doctor. It makes me wonder did I do the wrong thing by saying no ? I was surprised she even considered it and brought it up. What do you think about it ? And what would other Doctors think if they saw that on my med list ?
Be glad you said no. Very glad.

Suboxone is a very effective antidepressant. I've also heard it being prescribed off label for bipolar. It's good for anxiety too I guess.

But the problem is it only has this effect in opioid naive people with no tolerance, and more pertinently this effect only lasts 5-7 days during the honeymoon phase. After that you will not feel much at all benefit. Tolerance is exponential and not linear like other opioids.

If you were to continue taking it past 7 days you would become hopelessly dependent on it. The withdrawals are just as bad if not worse than a lot of other opioids.

I would say its a nice relief from mental illness, but only brief or sporadic use is advisable if at all.

Becoming addicted to suboxone simply to alleviate depression or something is extremely dubious in my opinion, and to most doctor's, which is why its off label.
 
Top