• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone/Buprenorphine FAQ & Megathread v3; 2010 - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, yeah it works. I only wanted to know if these amounts are really absorbed that way and the rest Bupe is excreted so to speak.
So one could actually say the real input is 0,5mg?

Btw day 2 without starts...(after a long Tilidine/AH-7921/Bupe roundabout, ending saturday with 2mg Bupe sl., I know not really an optimal last dose but there was no option to cut it to 1mg :/

Are the WDs from sub generally that long? I guess it depends on dose and duration of intake but I would like to hear some other competent opinions.

Thanks guys, always a great help!

Last edited:
^ if you factor in the metabolites buprenorphine has a half-life of over 30 hours in theory this means with withdrawals even longer than the ones from methadone which has a half-life of 20-24 hour's. I can't describe the withdrawals to you though the time I kicked a 16 mg iv Bupe habit I went trough psychosis for 2-3 months (I was also an alcoholic so if bupe is to blame I don't know ).

Im on my 9th day of zero subutex, things are starting to come back to normal , slight hot n cold flushes n that's about it, obvious depression slight insomnia and general weak feeling (after abusing subutex nasally for 8 months between doses of 4 to 6)...had my first firm stool today aswel! still feel shitty but give it another week and i will be back in the gym.

Im on my 9th day of zero subutex, things are starting to come back to normal , slight hot n cold flushes n that's about it, obvious depression slight insomnia and general weak feeling (after abusing subutex nasally for 8 months between doses of 4 to 6)...had my first firm stool today aswel! still feel shitty but give it another week and i will be back in the gym.

Good to hear. Yeah, in another week you will be feeling 100x better.

quick question here. Does going on suboxone for a few days lower your opiate tolerance or raise it?

example: if i took .5 as a suboxone dose for the past couple days (keeping away w/d) would i be able to get high after? how long after last suboxone dose? and if sub dose is so small would my tolerance be affected and in what way? i wouldnt want to do the same amount and be sorry later or waste it.

thanks in advance let me know.

Good to hear. Yeah, in another week you will be feeling 100x better.

Thanks a lot for your support! so.....DAY 11! :) CLEAN. i had a little bit of WD's bounce back at me yesterday but its to be expected i guess...feeling ALOT better today, considering going gym, but im still slightly sweating.

I should be getting an injection of naloxone and Naltrexone in the next couple of weeks, any advice or suggestions on this?

Thanks a lot for your support! so.....DAY 11! :) CLEAN. i had a little bit of WD's bounce back at me yesterday but its to be expected i guess...feeling ALOT better today, considering going gym, but im still slightly sweating.

I should be getting an injection of naloxone and Naltrexone in the next couple of weeks, any advice or suggestions on this?

Naloxone and Naltrexone? Why?

Can someone explain to me the actual cost that ye guys pay for the tablets Vs the film?

Also, how does that match with generic bupe on price?

I'm irish so its a bit confusing seeing insurance co-pay, coupons etc when more than likely we'd get em for free.
My sub doc charges no prices per visit every four weeks. I pay no prices for 15 of the 8mg generic subutex pills. I take 4 mg/day. No insurance. Cash patient. I was told that those coupons that help pay for the meds are only good on the suboxone and not the subutex. Also my pharmacy charges the same price for the 2mg and 8mg pills. Doesn't make any sense! So my doc writes the script for 1/2 of an 8mg rather than two 4mg pills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Naloxone and Naltrexone? Why?

I was told by my doc it will help with any cravings and if i did consume any opiates they would do nothing or very little to me.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

im on Day 15 clean now.....but these FUCKING HOT N COLD SWEATS just wont go away and its really affecting my mental state,is there ANYTHING i can do to reduce or stop this apart from take opiates obviously! Thanks.

have searched and read a great deal trying to find an approximate answer to my questions.

As a partial agonist do researchers know the extent of receptor activation caused by buprenorphine? Meaning the MU receptors are agonized 33% with regard to buprenorphine in relation the a full agonist.

Next, do we have an approximate range in relation to tolerance to where somebody who doses buprenorphine will not feel its effects?

Using Oxy as an example. If person A has a tolerance of 70 mg daily Oxy and doses with buprenorphine the only subjective effects noticed are being normal, no withdrawals.

Person B tolerance level is 30 mg Oxy and if they take buprenorphine they will stay well plus get stimulant/euphoric effects.

I'm just trying to see about what dose range of a full agonist and tolerance where the partial agonist attribute of buprenorphine kicks in.

Not looking for exact concrete numbers, but close range type numbers.

Soboxone Taper

Hi, new here and at the risk of starting a new thread for something that's surely been discussed numerous times, here goes. My apologies if so.

I'm currently prescribed 3 mg of suboxone. I'm currently taking 4mg.
Just switched from the pills to the strips.
Have been on suboxone for just over 3 years.
16mg-2 years
12mg-1 month
8mg-2 months
6mg-3 months
4mg-6 months
3mg-1 month, soon to be 2 as I have my next script and will fill it soon.
I have been taking 4mg and will be short at end of month,

I was comfortable at 4mg and the decrease in dosages had virtually little to no effect from the original 16mg induction.
If it were up to me, I would stay at 4mg for the foreseeable future.

Now I have been lowered to 3mg and have been switched to the film strips at the same time.
I've been having a very hard time.
-Regulating dosage, (I've been trying to take 3mg a day but often take 4mg) after 3 years of being a perfect patient. No bad DA screens, regulating dosage etc.
-Anxiety, depression, many of the feelings that accompanied me when quitting dope the upteen times I tried, with various amounts of success.
-I fall asleep after dosing (something I've never done and hate doing)
-Motivation is completely gone.
I'm having trouble distinguishing if the lower dosage is causing issues or the switch to strips...
I thought those feelings where gone...

I now plan on "picking up" some strips from a friend to make up for my lapse, something I haven't done in over 3 years
and feel as if I'm crossing a line.

I'm in no way bashing the bupe. My life has been exponentially better since taking the treatment seriously.
I was using H for around 12 years and 10 years before that are a haze due to other more recreational drugs.
I consider myself fortunate to have this problem as opposed to past problems.
My current Dr. is bent on lowering my dosage, much to my dismay.
The counselors who I see at the same office is very concerned as am I and I have been completely upfront about my issue, but the Dr. basically ignored me.

I don't think I will go back to using, but I am considering changing Dr.'s in hopes of getting the dose I want. (sounds manipulative, I know.)
A different Dr. is considerably more expensive and ultimately I'll be in the same boat again...
Thought I was past this.

Last edited:
Something you already know but might need some positive reinforcement with: cutting those last 4mg is often the most challenging for almost everybody. As with any taper it WILL suck. Depression and anxiety are pretty much universal symptoms for anyone in your situation. You're doing the best thing you can which is seeing a counselor.

That being said, those symptoms are often the cause for relapses to heroin/pills. A successful sub detox should be done on your schedule not your docs and he should realize this. Unless you are truly ready to taper off (seems like you are not) get your doctor to realize you need more time or need to wait for a better time in your life. It is in no way impossible to be successful in a forced detox, but very difficult and relapse is common.

If your doc wont let you continue than switch doctors. The money spent will pale in comparison to the money (and other things) spent on a relapse. See if your counselor will speak with your doctor as it seems you are being very honest about everything.

My last bit of advice would be to spend some time reading our suboxone mega thread. Loads of information and cumulative experience there. Good luck, blue light is an excellent source of back up support! Good luck

I am in almost the same situation. I was addicted to heroin for 8-10 years, off and on.
I've been on Suboxone since 2007. There's been periods of time(varying from a few days to close to a year) where I've stopped taking the Sub, sold it, and gone back to dope. But, in the end I've always returned to my Sub dose.
I was assured during my stay in rehab in '07 that Suboxone was a life saver. That I should stay on it long term because I was already "doing well' on it and it would help with my cravings. The craving part, obviously, is complete bullshit. I wish I hadn't gotten on it, because it's mostly been a crutch and nothing more.

So, obviously, our opinions of the effectiveness of the med differ, but where we're at in our taper schedule and some of the effects we're feeling are pretty similar.
I started out taking 12mgs. I stayed on that until '09, at which point I requested a upped dose. 4mgs more. I stayed at 16mgs until '10, then dropped back to 12.
I stayed on 12 until a few months ago. Throughout this entire time, I've been on Klonopin as well.
My doctor, almost in passing, mentioned that he had read a study that came to the conclusion that those two drugs mixed together could be fairly harmful to liver functions.
I was amazed. Not that it's potentially damaging, but that he would mention that, but still be willing to go with the status quo.
I called the next day and requested a taper.
I've done 2mgs a month. From 12 to 4, I have felt almost nothing. My script is due fairly soon, so I've started to try to move towards 2mgs a day and I am generally uncomfortable.
I'm not sleeping well, I'm an asshole to my girl a lot more than usual, I get slight twitches, tremors at times, I feel very anxious, etc.
I also have had a huge time keeping with the schedule and not taking a bit extra.

A potentially HUGE difference is I also started a Klonopin taper. I was at 3mgs a day. I'm down to 1 1/2mgs a day. I know this is responsible for at least a few of these symptoms. But, I have no doubt that the Sub is causing its fair share as well.
Everyone, everyone I've spoken to that has dropped off has said that the last 4mgs is, by far, the most difficult time. It scares me. The situation overall.
I completely understand wanting to supplement your dose/getting extra or wanting to go back up. I, personally, feel compelled to stay the course.
I guess I don't have a ton of advice beyond try to stick with it. I am in the same rocky boat. It's gonna take time and we're gonna be uncomfortable, to a degree.
I just very much believe that a life free of dependence on drugs, prescription or otherwise, is where I need to be at this point in my life. I need to tough it out. I would hope and encourage you to do the same.
If you need someone to talk, commiserate with, hit me up.

Last edited:
Thanks Larc and 95Land.
This is the first time I've actually taken a sub treatment seriously and after lowering my dose from 16-4mg with little to no side effects,
then shaving just 1 more mg off to 3mg made such a significant difference. I felt as if it caught me off guard. The last day or 2 has
been a bit better and nowhere near a full on detox, just uncomfortable and irritable, which is uncommon for me.

I'm still not entirely sure what I'm gonna do, but I am leaving for a vacation in about 10 days which I'm hoping gives me some time
to think about what I want. I have learned (the hard way of course) that drug/prescription decisions are big, life altering decisions.

Your comments and experience are truly appreciated and 95Land I hope you accomplish your goals
of a substance free life and I may take you up on your offer to chat.

Got a question I just put 6mgs in a capsule with 2 drops of water it was in strip form I plugged it what can I expect has anyone tried this the water started softening the capsule immediately so I hope to get results soon.

Got a question I just put 6mgs in a capsule with 2 drops of water it was in strip form I plugged it what can I expect has anyone tried this the water started softening the capsule immediately so I hope to get results soon.

It's way easier to just use an oral syringe to plug it.. there's no point in going through all the trouble of using capsules and shit. Just break down the strip in water, draw it into a syringe, and squirt it up there..

I didnt have syringe available what kind of effects can I expect I usually take 3mgs sbl also will low dose lyrica mess with it I take 150mgsx3 a day?

have searched and read a great deal trying to find an approximate answer to my questions.

As a partial agonist do researchers know the extent of receptor activation caused by buprenorphine? Meaning the MU receptors are agonized 33% with regard to buprenorphine in relation the a full agonist.

From all I've ever read, buprenorphine's maximum agonistic effects are equipotent to 30-40mg of methadone.
Next, do we have an approximate range in relation to tolerance to where somebody who doses buprenorphine will not feel its effects?

Using Oxy as an example. If person A has a tolerance of 70 mg daily Oxy and doses with buprenorphine the only subjective effects noticed are being normal, no withdrawals.

Person B tolerance level is 30 mg Oxy and if they take buprenorphine they will stay well plus get stimulant/euphoric effects.

Well, first of all I'd be willing to bet that if you administered someone who was taking 70mg of oxy with 2mg of buprenorphine, that they would get euphoric effects from it too. In fact, I've seen people who were serious I.V heroin addicts get stoned off of buprenorphine.

I'm just trying to see about what dose range of a full agonist and tolerance where the partial agonist attribute of buprenorphine kicks in.

Not looking for exact concrete numbers, but close range type numbers.

Like I said above, suboxone has the agonist effect that's somewhere in the range of 30-40mg of methadone. At what dosage (of bupe)that these agonist effects plateau (the ceiling dose) is unknown, though I believe it's around 4mg max, but most likely lower. Also, before we had buprenorphine in the form of suboxone and subutex, buprenorphine was used(and still is) as an injectable pain medication for humans and animals called Buprenex, and the dosages were .33mg/mL which was found to have the potency of 10mg of IV Morphine. However keep in mind that .33mg of buprenorphine is only equal to 10mg of intravenous Morphine if the buprenorphine is administered parentaly as well (Bupe's absorption rate varies wildly depending on how it is administered and 1/3 of a mg injected is approximately equal to 1mg administered sublignually).

So. Buprenorphine is about 30x the potency of morphine (when both are absorbed 100%) and buprenorphine's max agonist effects seem to be equipotent to a dose of methadone in the range of 30-40mg. I wish I could give more concrete answers, I myself used to research buprenorphine for hours trying to find out as much ask could about it, but it's difficult to get concrete answers, and you also can't always trust everything you read as Suboxone is a sensation subject and it's in a lot of people's best interest to spread misleading information or to just exclude certain information.

However, with a generic now available, hopefully there will be more information available that isn't tied in with a need to make buprenorphine seem 'safe', 'non-addictive' or 'weak' (all things that I was told back in 2006 when my outpatient program pushed it on me at 16-24mg/day). I don't mean to sound as if I am against buprenorphine as a form of treatment, IMO it's a great drug. I just have ways felt that info regarding it's use and effects has always been in small print or worded to mislead people for the sake of personal gain (though I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a large pharmaceutical company would try to do such a thing.)

So, I kind of kicked a habit recently. I was just about over the sickness when I used last monday, then I used Wed and Thurs. But I don't feel sick now, I don't think. Does this mean I'm in the clear, or I might still wake up sick tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.