Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Strong Sleeping tablets.

psytaco

Bluelighter
I have suffered bad insomnia sporadically since 2006. It happens particularly during times of great stress, and the worse the stress or the situation, the worse the insomnia. It can be so bad that I do not sleep for days, which obviously compounds whatever difficulties I am suffering.

Over the weekend my girlfriend of over two years (whom I lived with) broke up with me. Obviously this is a very difficult and stressful time, and the suddeness with how it happened makes it worse. Anyway, all things considered I'm actually coping quite well. Except for my sleep. Even with the aid of sleeping tablets, particularly Stilnox, I can only sleep about 2-3 hours a night, and would need to redose. I am needing two stilnox at a time to sleep, and even then it is barely working. This is difficult because I work fulltime and have to get up early for a job that requires alot of responsibility and appropriate behaviour, and being under the influence of recently dosed stilnox could make me act bizarrely.

I was wondering if there are stronger sleep aides that I can get prescribed? ie. what are considered the heavy hitter sleeping aides?

I used to take Imarest (zolpiclone), and find if preferable to stilnox due to the longer half life, but it still has the problem of being week for me, and eventually needing like 4 tablets just to sleep (and this is where the weird behaviour can come in). I can't really afford to go around to many different doctors just so I can get the right amount of tablets to sleep, due to working full time.

Also, has anyone had much luck with trazadone? My girlfriend gave me quite a few tablets and she says they really help her. Ironically both of us suffer similiar problems:\

So people with bad insomnia what are some sleeping tablets that help you and you swear by?

When i have problems to sleep i use Melatonin and really help me to sleep, generally its used for JET LAG, and its Not Adictive PLus its very Cheap.

Good Luck!

Occasionally when sleep has been hard to find, I'll use a antihistamine called periactin, but it's not that good for long term use. Usually after 3 nights use I get grumpy, and you build a tollerance to it fairly quickly, but its non addictive.

Really cheap too from the chemist otc.

You can get really lethargic the next day if you take it too late in the afternoon, or too much.

I usually take it before dinner, just because I've found taking after dinner makes it take longer to kick in.

I use anti psychotics, they are amazing for my insomnia, been using chlorpromazine lately.
The sedating anti depressents like trazadone or amytripyline are also a good option as you wont have the problem with tolerance that you have been experiencing with the benzo like sleeping meds.

Im assuming you've tried Mogadon (aka Nitrazepam)... if you haven't then i probably wouldn't bother, tolerance builds super quickly and it is habit forming. Best i've come across is Zopiclone :( .... melatonin is apparently good but ONLY if you get REAL melatonin - there are a lot of bullshit HOMEOPATHIC melatonin products in health food stores that they'll try and flog off - they do nothing, they are flower essences. So yeah you can get it from online pharmacies and i think also by prescription. Interestingly there is a brand new anti-depressant that works on melatonin instead of seretonin. Then you've got herbal remedies usually based on Valarian which are equally useless in my opinion.

As for anti-psychotics, yeah they'll generally knock you out - Serequel (spelling?) will knock you out if you take enough but its a bastard of a hang over. And often if it doesn't quite knock you out you will be literally MONGED, unable to walk or talk or function, but still awake - its a horrible state to be in... so i'd be cautious about using them for that purpose. Its prescription only anyway as are all the other sedating anti-psychotics.

Only other thing i'll say which no doubt you've heard, is get yourself exhausted every day at the gym or running or whatever. It does help to be physically tired.

Good luck! Insomnia SUCKS

I can't believe so many of you rely on real drugs to fall asleep. Don't you think that is somewhat irresponsible and damaging to your body?

I have problems sleeping as well. While I wouldn't say I have insomnia, I do have trouble maintaining a healthy sleep pattern and sometimes find myself up for over 24 to 32 hours fairly often. Just the other day, I worked a 10hour shift at work from 7am to 5pm, then went out around 11 to do some MDA with friends. Stayed up all night and Tuesday morning and went to sleep Tuesday night, being awake a total of over 32 hours.

When these situations happen, I usually find myself using Melatonin. It's an all natural sleep supplement that is actually created in our bodies already.

If your looking for something to knock you on your ass, I'd suggest Zolpidem.

There is a killer all herbal but super effective sleeping product on the Aussie market that I am not allowed to name. It contains extracts of hops, skullcap, celandine and lotus.

It really works. I personally find it stronger than benzos with no hangover. I bought a new supply at 4am this morning!

Give it a try if you can and support our Aussie plant heads.

^ Sounds intriguing will have to give it a go.

Some of the herbal stuff can be good. The one I have been using recently has only passion flower and hops its not super strong but two tablets is enough to help me sleep if I need it. I was using a tincture from a WA company I think it had valerian, skull cap, hops and a few other things but it did give me a bit of a hangover if I took too much. Definitely agree with supporting local herb growers and extractors though!

As far as prescrtiption stuff goes for one off use 30mg of temazepam works for me. Nitrazepam is also good. For ongoing use it's not really a viable option though.

Last edited:
I recently saw a dr about my sleep problem.
It got so bad that when I had to deal with some sadness and stress (death in the family) I stopped coping and went a bit nuts. Stopped being able to get to sleep, then slept through my alarms, etc etc. Ended up kinda messy and unpleasant.

I was scripted melatonin (not cheap but I would thoroughly recommend it [there are cheaper sources if you do some research]) and halcion (triazolam?) which I believe is rarely scripted nowadays, but it's a short acting benzo so you don't wake up groggy (or sleep til mid afternoon, which I started doing inadvertently due to exhaustion).
I'm trying to take the benzodiazepines as little as possible for a number of reasons, but melatonin is amazing - I couldn't recommend it enough.
Having said that, my sleep problems are largely a circadian rhythm issue.

I'm sorry to hear about your breakup - I've had the same response to the same stress, and it's bloody awful.
A good doctor and some counselling can do the world of good though. It makes perfect sense that you're not sleeping, but you need to treat it and look after yourself before it becomes another problem in your life.
It's hard to treat any mental health issues when you're exhausted, it makes you all the more emotional.
Look after yourself!
Ive been in the same place and it's no fun. Just try to look after yourself as much as you can, even if you don't feel like caring.
The pills VB recommends have worked for me too...it's been a while but I might hafta get some more...

Last edited:
Just let you know that melatonin is found way cheaper from the US than in Australia, wont name the source but got a 350 - 3mg tablet bottle while they were having a buy one get one free sale so i got 700 3mg tablets for about $$$.

i find they work great in a subtle but noticeable way, one side effect being strange as fuck dreams.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I love that side effect. It's as if it's a tryptamine that is only psychedelic when you're sleeping!

The pills VB recommends have worked for me too...it's been a while but I might hafta get some more...

They have almost doubled in price now unfortunately. Still worth it in my book though.

Valerian causes horrible night terrors for me. I'll never use it again. Everyone is different though.

Oh really? I last bought some 4 or 5 years ago.
They seemed expensive then... : /
Sleep ain't cheap, or so it seems.

Oh really? I last bought some 4 or 5 years ago.
They seemed expensive then... : /
Sleep ain't cheap, or so it seems.

I thought so too. I was quite shocked when I bought some at 4am this morning.

Grab a copy of the new Entheogen magazine while you are there :)

I have a super tolerance to benzos due to a few massive overdoses..... I am prescribed Seroquel (25mg take 1-3 per night) which works wonders for sleep. It does give you the munchies though.

I have also tried zyprexa but this was terrible and put me in a catatonic state.

When I say super tolerance to benzos, I can take 10+mg xanax in a single dose and stand like nothing happened.

There are so many methods to help u sleep better without medication including regular exercise, healthy foods, few grams of glutamine before bed time and so forth, if nothing else works then id recommend some Restavit from the chemist its OTC just need to ask for it although I personally wouldnt recommend it long term. Worse case scenario you could use xanax but for very short term seeing stress and anxiety is your issue. You need to regulate your sleeping patterns naturally otherwise your body will think it needs to rely on heavy medications which is not good at all.

I used to have insomnia as well badly and without smoking/vaping buds / taking alprazolams I couldnt fall asleep but then I followed a regime as above and since then I have had no issues. Going to bed and waking up the same time also helps. 8 hours is plenty of sleep and is all you need normally. Yoga and stretching has also worked quite well for my anxiety reduction and sleeping problems. Meditation is also another great way to relax and fall asleep. The brain is a powerful tool if you learn how to utilize it, trust me all these little things tend to help:)

It's interesting for me to read about others who have sleeping issues, I don't really have trouble sleeping or anything and my dreams are always really good ones (mostly the awesome dreams come to me when i have been off pot for over a few weeks), vivid and like stories from a book but with some old friends and family in them sometimes, never terror or nightmare stuff, I kinda feel for the people who get insomnia and sleeping difficulties. I have nothing to contribute really as i've never had the problem, but I know a family member started to take xanax once for their anxiety and ended up needing it to goto sleep at all, a real dependence kind of thing, it'd be a shame to have to use a tablet (a very addictive one) to have a decent sleep, but some people have to resort to that and that's life. Try the natural based ones if possible I guess would be a good idea I would think.

As sustanon just mentioned a healthy diet and exercise is probably a really good thing too.

^ I'm kinda the opposite - plagued with these issues my whole life.
I think when you do have these sorts of problems, and you are hit with a stressful situation, sleep is often the first thing to suffer.
It makes it harder to cope, and can be quite the vicious circle.
I don't think there is any shame in leaning on sleep aids when you need them, so long as you keep dependence in mind when you are choosing your substance and your frequency of dosing.
Melatonin has come up a few times. Again, I'd recommend it highly, but I don't know about this particular situation.
Healthy lifestyle is all well and good, but it's s bit hard when you are stressed, unhappy and/or anxious.

strong sleepers in Australia are Flunitrazepam (Rohypnol or Hypnodorm) and Nitrazepam (Mogadon). Temazepam (Temaze) is commonly prescribed but Diazepam (Valium) is better. If your insomnia is serious which it sounds (days at a time), I'd take some valium daily morning and eve 5mg each to calm down and then 1 tab of Nitrazepam b4 sleep...do that for 4 days and then role to the valium only for 3 days and then stop. could do the trick.

I thought I was doing well. I was wrong. The lack of sleep is really taking its toll and making a difficult situation really fucking hard. I have melatonin 2mg tablets. I took 6 one night and slept for one hour. Restavit does nothing back me feel like shit. I'm going to my family gp tomorrow. I pray they will give something strong that will let me get one good night sleep. My brother recommended seroquil. I just hope they don't give me something shit like temaz. Thanks for all the advice guys and the kind words spacejunk