• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

strong benzos vs. barbs

i didn't care much for it. "electric ladyland" is still my favorite album of all time, love smoking weed/trippin to "voodoo child" =D
huge hendrix fan as well =D=D=D

Yeah, I just wanted people to know if they did get a barb, not to go over 200-300 mg on the first time.

His best posthumous albums would have to be South Saturn Delta and First Rays of the New Rising Sun.

His best posthumous albums would have to be South Saturn Delta and First Rays of the New Rising Sun.

+1 I couldn't agree more.

But don't forget "Live at Filmore East" This was his best live version of "Stone Free" and "Burning Desire". You all should check it out.

very similar, barbs have a far lower LD50 though hence higher risk of OD

yeah, reds are awsome. although quaaludes are a bit better .

Never had the pleasure of methaqualone, and sadly I don't think I will. Don't think I'll ever see another seconal either.

Never had the pleasure of methaqualone, and sadly I don't think I will. Don't think I'll ever see another seconal either.

seconal is used as a last line of treatment for severe insomnia, after strong benzos. not many doctors are happy giving barbs to patients, and good barbs are controled way more tightly(schedule 2 insted of 4). they are also sometimes used when patients are allergic to benzos. sadly, most bards used today are used in hospitals and used for animals. quaaludes today are usually fake(containing large amounts diazepam instead) unless they are from south africa.

yeah if i'm ever in south africa i'll be on the lookout for mandrax.

I love benzos & barbs. I've only tried butalbital and phenobarbital. I don't much care for pheno. But butalbital is fucking awesome. I take it every day, actually. It's the best migraines medication I've ever taken. Keeps them completely at bay. I have scripts for whatever benzos I want - currently I have temazepam and alprazolam. I like temmies alot, but they are weak as fuck. Xanax is great, but I'm addicted to it, so I have to be very careful with it. Been hooked on it for like, almost 8 years. They're great.

Wish I could have tried Seconal or Nembutal, but after this past Friday's accidental overdose, I'm kind of scared to take my butalbital with anything. Especially after reading about Cloud 9...that's some sad shit...RIP. I'm sure butalbital was the culprit in my case...in his, it could have been the butalbital, the massive dose of methadone, or the DXM potentiation. So fucking sad...and makes me glad to be alive.

I love benzos & barbs. I've only tried butalbital and phenobarbital. I don't much care for pheno. But butalbital is fucking awesome. I take it every day, actually. It's the best migraines medication I've ever taken. Keeps them completely at bay. I have scripts for whatever benzos I want - currently I have temazepam and alprazolam. I like temmies alot, but they are weak as fuck. Xanax is great, but I'm addicted to it, so I have to be very careful with it. Been hooked on it for like, almost 8 years. They're great.

Wish I could have tried Seconal or Nembutal, but after this past Friday's accidental overdose, I'm kind of scared to take my butalbital with anything. Especially after reading about Cloud 9...that's some sad shit...RIP. I'm sure butalbital was the culprit in my case...in his, it could have been the butalbital, the massive dose of methadone, or the DXM potentiation. So fucking sad...and makes me glad to be alive.

always be careful when playing with barbs, the lethal dose is not much higher than the theraputic dose. NEVER mix barbs with alcohol, benzos, opioids, or ANY other cns depressant. remember, BARBS ARE NOT BENZOS, they can easily take your life...

that being said, if you like butalbital, you'll love seconal. i've had the luxury of getting smashed on reds any the only better GABA acting drug is quaaludes(i've also had the luxury of trying those, some of the best fun i can't really remember :D ).

Last edited:
I tried phenobarital for the first time yesterday and I find it better than benzos. I've tried benzos in the past, but don't care for them. I took some phenobarbital yesterday and it didn't mess me up, it just put me in a realllly good mood. I was in such a good mood, it made it difficult to sleep. Work and college classes were fantastic.

I tried phenobarital for the first time yesterday and I find it better than benzos. I've tried benzos in the past, but don't care for them. I took some phenobarbital yesterday and it didn't mess me up, it just put me in a realllly good mood. I was in such a good mood, it made it difficult to sleep. Work and college classes were fantastic.

don't make a habit of it, you DO NOT want a barb addiction, trust me.

i'm suprised you prefered phenobarital over benzos, i'll take temazepam or clonazepam over pheno any day.

now seconal is a different story...;)

never had real barbs. pheno and butalbital dont count. cmon.

i have had methaqualone though. BEST SLEEP of my entire life.

don't make a habit of it, you DO NOT want a barb addiction, trust me.

i'm suprised you prefered phenobarital over benzos, i'll take temazepam or clonazepam over pheno any day.

now seconal is a different story...;)

Those were the only 5 I had. Won't be getting anymore.:) The reason I don't care for benzos is because I'm really high strung and when I take benzos I either take too much or not enough and its a fine line between those 2.

For my age, barely about to break 30- i'm lucky to have tried PENTObarbital, sodium thiopental, & for longer-use-duration: both (a VERY unlucky exposure to, which resulted in a HUGE dependencies of) butalbital & phenobarbital (pheno is crap recreationally, but great for non-GABA-B-agonist GABAergic withdrawal--which was what it was used for when i got off my 2000mg/day butalbital habit (40 pills a day. sick.), 1555.2mg pheno a day, 388.8mg 4x a day).

I prefer pentobarbital to all of them, including any benzodiazepine.. of which include i've sampled: (all taken orally unless otherwise noted) alprazolam, bromazepam, clonazepam, diazepam, diclazepam, midazolam (oral & IV), lorazepam (oral & IV), etizolam (oral, IV, IM, subcutaneous), temazepam, pyrazolam (would *LOVE* to fucking try flubromazepam.. its coming soon or later! ;) ). I prefer etizolam & clonazepam, alprazolam slightly--i have a feeling i'll greatly appreciate flubromazepam over all of them.

HOWEVER, I now prefer benzodiazepines as they allow for the same/similar anxiolytic/hypnotic and/or anticonvulsant effect one needs (in my case all 3) w/o the severe cognitive impairment that barbiturates have to offer. But, barbiturates do cause analgesia and can induce anesthesia (i basically went to sleep each night by putting myself in a barbitic coma!)--and cause doubly powerfully reinforcing affects there. But till this day, knowing how what i've been through (below), put in front of my face now (& conditional i couldn't "sell" any of it & only for my own personal use)? I'd still probably take a bottle of 180 50mg butalbital (hold the APAP :p please, 40mg of caffeine i don't mind though) over a bottle of 180 1mg alprazolam any fucking day.

TheTwighlight said:

TheTwighlight.. I hope you read this entire post.

Truth be told, GABAergic withdrawal is worse than a 3 to 5 a day 10 year dope habit (especially GABA-b PAMs, like GHB/baclofen) however, it took 10-15 days in the ICU (don't know for how long exactly, I believe it was 12 days, but this is b/c i was on a ventilator & was almost pronounced dead--I was in a barbitic coma--from just accidentally taking double my nightly dose; although my tolerance was high. But don't think YOURS wont get there if you keep fucking w/ butalbital) & two stays at a psychiatric hospital to finally kick barbiturates- totaling 45 days (13 the first; 32 days the 2nd stay following the incident in the ICU).

The First Hospital Stay: Self-admission into psychiatric hospital, 13 days, I was on pheno while there & felt completely stable, not "happy" per se b/c i didn't have my d.o.c.- but content enough considering the circumstance. I then tapered during my final 4-5 days rapidly (bad idea IMO: but was told for the gazzillionth time this wasn't enough weaning time--only to be proven CORRECT. last 2-3 days were kinda rough, but that's all), had 1 minor halfish "seizure event" b/c they fucking refused to call the hospital (so i could see a neurologist). I was given take home temazepam--psychiatrically I was still a mess, though. When the take-home temazepam ran out--despite taking & weaning as Rx'd OFF of THAT. SOO back on the butalbital/barbiturates. I would rather experience cold turkey heroin withdrawal again (on buprenorphine since Dec 2007 for that & have been clean since from full-agonist opiates/opioids) than deal w/ that now.

The Second/Final (i HOPE!) Stay: Prior to this psychiatric hospital admission, was in ICU 10-15 days (on 2mg IV lorazepam (Ativan) every 2 hrs to stop seizures); still had 1 while there during hospital stay. Afterwards was transported to psychiatric hospital for 32 days where I received no GABAergic rather than gabapentin, which is hardly GABAergic AND dropped from 3000mg//day to 2000mg/day--ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM IN A FUCKING CONVULSANT-PRONE STATE!?!?... state hospital only way they got away w/ it. Needs independent, citizenry review boards in my opinion. Anyway, I was "alright" the first month afterwards; but when i couldn't find a PCP who'd take me for a referral to a neurologist (given my laundry list of back problems, anxiety, bi-polar, blah blah), & when my county nurse refused to Rx me my PRE-admission dose of gabapentin (3000mg, her bitch-ass kept me on 900mg)--NOR refused any sleeping medication or anything to even deal w/ occasional anxiety aside from hydroxyzine (better off taking a diphenhydramine! err, benadryl!).. Fuck it, went to etizolam; obviously she didn't care that I came in there w/ a BPM of 135, its usually 60-90; & a BP of 150/110, when my BP is usually low[/B].

My answer? NEITHER. if you can't help yourself. And even if you can? Stay away from barbiturates; addiction, withdrawal, & dependency can occur in as little as 2 days. Whereas w/ benzodiazepines at least you have a few weeks. & if outta benzodiazepines for around 12-24 hours? at least I can throw back a few smith & forge hard ciders & feel fine. That would make me puke in barbiturate w/d at even the 3 hour point. & barbiturate w/d? Cant/doesnt compare, the delirium tremens are just darker... more endless.. longer.. more involving.. ::shudder:: glad the barbs were replaced by benzos. And i can't wait till their all available only in hospital settings. BUT, as an anti-prohibitionist, it should be made available to current addicts only (easily done w/ a UA or blood-test; which a barb addict will gladly submit to if he/she is about to lose their mind from barb w/d).

Last edited:
And actually? Carisoprodol & meprobamate blow both out of the water. When carisoprodol was scheduled--and harder to come buy w/ prices doubling for half the amounts of meds? Butalbital resolved all withdrawal--of course, i didn't get that immediate onset so that luxury/high/rush was gone. I'd love to explore other carbamates, as meprobamate is only a luxury item i can afford once in a great while, but the only one's currently available are phenprobamate; & that was nothing special. I wish a binding assay were done on carisoprodol/meprobamate b/c it must bind to both beta & alpha receptors on the BZP (benzodiazepine) & barbiturate-binding sites on GABA-a. I've tried discussing the it over in ADD, but, there's just no specific data on the pharmacodynamics of carisoprodol, nor its neuropharmacology, unfortunately :|

OH, forgot to mention: clomethiazole--which is available in some RC corners (don't really agree w/ that decision- that's asking for LE to shut you down; or have the US schedule it so RC vendors wont ship it--then you do the dance to telemedicine which only a few stock--at high prices; & Indian or Chinese brands).. anyway, i'd put it there slightly below carisoprodol & meprobamate: hangover effect is a negative & as is the sloppy ataxia; short duration is around the same as carisoprodol.

BUT, have hadn't had a chance to try any quinazolinones. That, would of course include methaqualone :( And unfortunately--acquisition of that one is beyond my RC skill & that of any of the holiest of holy RC'ers I know in such related forums i know. Although there are some RC quinazolinones I may try w/ some cash to blow. Etaqualone seems to be the only one around at the time at reasonable prices, but it--and others like methylmethaqualone--seem to not be worth it for the cost & from what I hear of their epileptic effects.

These quinazolinone analogs seem to cause GABA-a PAM activity, while NOT depressing glutamate activity via AMPA receptors, which isn't too nice for seizures at my current GABA-a tolerance. & I bet (just a hunch) this is why methaqualone & quinazolinones retain their "sexual" nature compared to modern GABAergics; as it doesn't depress AMPA & glutamate activity (not that glutamate is an aphrodisiac, lol, but it--along w/ NMDA receptors, a target of many of the same neurotransmitters as the AMPAr--are more inductive of sexual behavior than their modern depressant counterparts).

Last edited:
BUT.. have hadn't had a chance to try any quinazolinones. That, would of course include methaqualone :( And unfortunately--acquisition of that one is beyond my RC skill & that of any of the holiest of holy RC'ers I know in such related forums i know. Although there are some RC quinazolinones I may try w/ some cash to blow. Etaqualone seems to be the only one around at the time at reasonable prices, but it--and others like methylmethaqualone--seem to not be worth it for the cost & from what I hear of their epileptic effects.

These quinazolinone analogs seem to cause GABA-a PAM activity, while NOT depressing glutamate activity via AMPA receptors, which isn't too nice for seizures at my current GABA-a tolerance. & I bet (just a hunch) this is why methaqualone & quinazolinones retain their "sexual" nature compared to modern GABAergics; as it doesn't depress AMPA & glutamate activity (not that glutamate is an aphrodisiac, lol, but it--along w/ NMDA receptors, a target of many of the same neurotransmitters as the AMPAr--are more inductive of sexual behavior than their modern depressant counterparts).

seconal is used as a last line of treatment for severe insomnia, after strong benzos. not many doctors are happy giving barbs to patients, and good barbs are controled way more tightly(schedule 2 insted of 4). they are also sometimes used when patients are allergic to benzos. sadly, most bards used today are used in hospitals and used for animals. quaaludes today are usually fake(containing large amounts diazepam instead) unless they are from south africa.

Actually, most barbiturates--except those used in hospital settings for anesthesia and ultra-fast acting ones--are schedule III now , not II. Cyclobarbital isn't even scheduled (along w/ about 2 dozen other manufactured & FDA approved barbiturates--but i'm sure doctors have never heard of them). Phenobarbital & methylphenobarbital are still sch.IV, not II. & Amobarbital, talbutal ("Lotusate"), secobarbital IF in combination w/ another ingredient is sch.III--pure form is still sch.II, thiamylal ("Surital") and of course pure butalbital (w/ another ingredient can go up if its codeine; not scheduled AT ALL if has 3 ingredients; a NSAID & caffeine).

There's more i'm forgetting, but you get the gist--they haven't really moved barbiturates around the scheduling system at all, its more of doctor practices that have changed. Anesthetics have been moved to schedule II, like thiopental, pentobarbital.. that is about it.

Oh, and methaqualone, aka "Mandrax" name-brand is still very much available & smoked in South Africa. It was made illegal in '71, but its easily smuggled there; illegal methaqualone production--and well, drug production & trade in general--is thriving in perhaps the least regulated market regions of the world that import the stuff to S. Africa (& to the west, minus the ludes, bastards! :p )- the Middle East & continental Africa.

But its likely not any sort of benzodiazepine; as all the one's i know of would degrade on flame or heated foil. It could likely be a barbiturate or barbitic derivative like thiamylal.. but it'd have to be smokable; i'm not aware of thiamylal's boiling or melting point & frankly don't feel like looking. & w/d from mandrax is not-treatable by benzodiazepines & must be treated by potent acting barbiturates.. a noted hallmark of methaqualone addiction. Point is, its still manufactured...

http://www.thecabinchiangmai.com/archive/methaqualone_use_in_south_africa#.U46B-_mwLz0

Last edited:
For years, I've been interested in amobarbital. When combined with stimulants, amobarbital is supposedly able to allow you to create any false memory and experience you want (no matter how fictional). I always wanted to create a false memory of going to another universe, dating some cartoon girls, flying through the mountains, entering the cyberuniverse, or anything else I can think of. Amobarbital seems like a "gateway to the imagination" from what I read.

For years, I've been interested in amobarbital. When combined with stimulants, amobarbital is supposedly able to allow you to create any false memory and experience you want (no matter how fictional). I always wanted to create a false memory of going to another universe, dating some cartoon girls, flying through the mountains, entering the cyberuniverse, or anything else I can think of. Amobarbital seems like a "gateway to the imagination" from what I read.

Interesting have you read further on how it reacts in the brain to create that? Cuz you really peaked my curiosity.