• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

SO Photography Contest Discussion!!

can we get a round of...

Just kidding.
Like I said, its bookmarked now haha. No more repeats. I swear.

{List removed - see further down the thread!}

Last edited:
I got a better camera for Christmas and I may be participating. I've read through 8 pages of discussion and I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

A long time ago I saw complaints that certain scene modes from certain cameras likely break the rules for contests by boosting saturation or creating other enhancements. (this was likely 2007 and the posts I read might not even be around anymore. Does anybody know if there was ever resolution on that issue? I'd love it if what my camera does doesn't disqualify anything. Mostly though I just want to submit only pictures that aren't contrary to what the community has decided.

A second issue that is not important to me at this time but would the community accept smudge tools or clone tools being used only for the purpose of correcting a stuck pixel, hot pixel, dead pixel in the ccd? Thanks for considering my neurotic questions. :)

I got a better camera for Christmas and I may be participating. I've read through 8 pages of discussion and I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

A long time ago I saw complaints that certain scene modes from certain cameras likely break the rules for contests by boosting saturation or creating other enhancements. (this was likely 2007 and the posts I read might not even be around anymore. Does anybody know if there was ever resolution on that issue? I'd love it if what my camera does doesn't disqualify anything. Mostly though I just want to submit only pictures that aren't contrary to what the community has decided.

A second issue that is not important to me at this time but would the community accept smudge tools or clone tools being used only for the purpose of correcting a stuck pixel, hot pixel, dead pixel in the ccd? Thanks for considering my neurotic questions. :)

What kind of camera did you get?

Most cameras you need to engage a setting for boosting colour, so unless you turn something on, you should be good.

Correcting an equipment flaw with PShop shouldn't be an issue.

^fujifilm ax25, kayholed0. The scene modes for fireworks and sunset are both described as vivid colors, so I assume the raise saturation a bit- but they likely have to do with iso/shutter speed etc as well. My thinking is that most of the stuff the camera does is not that big of a deal. The rules are mostly about keeping the contest a photography contest rather than a photoshop contest. But whatever the consensus on the rules is that's cool with me. I just don't want to be unintentionally cheating.

^fujifilm ax25, kayholed0. The scene modes for fireworks and sunset are both described as vivid colors, so I assume the raise saturation a bit- but they likely have to do with iso/shutter speed etc as well. My thinking is that most of the stuff the camera does is not that big of a deal. The rules are mostly about keeping the contest a photography contest rather than a photoshop contest. But whatever the consensus on the rules is that's cool with me. I just don't want to be unintentionally cheating.
Sweeet. New toys are always fun.

My understanding was that things like Automatic In Camera HDR were considered undue post processing, whereas simply adjusting camera settings like iso/shutter/light profile were simply using the camera properly.

I used a tungsten light profile for my submission, because that is what is resulted in the best photo with my given lighting.

Soooo... I suggested this once before, BUT... because I'm an asshole I didn't even have anything to submit by the time it came around. Therefore, I'd like to suggest for a 2nd go round... vintage (if there are no objections).

Also... perhaps sport, repitition, and paparazzi (another repeat cause I had a FUCKING AWESOME picture, but forgot to play that week :()

I'm looking for wins. ;)

This may have been asked before and I may have missed it, if so I am sorry, but how do you guys choose which themes are up and coming? Is it just random?

Do we do repeats?? (ryan's post made me want to suggest this)
If so, I really liked BLers handle.

I had a bunch of ideas for it.........

This may have been asked before and I may have missed it, if so I am sorry, but how do you guys choose which themes are up and coming? Is it just random?

Ive been wondering the exact same thing...

Or how much you pay them off. People like Sancho and ysrh pay thousands to have rounds they know they'll win moved up :D

Yeah, I would say it's random. When compiling the polling thread on a Sunday, we also create the next round at the same time. Post 2 of the new round has around 3 or 4 upcoming themes & you simply add another to the list. It all depends on what you think would be a good round I suppose, but there have been requests in the past.

If anyone wants to see a theme from the list - just ask here.

Or how much you pay them off. People like Sancho and ysrh pay thousands to have rounds they know they'll win moved up :D

haha, if only this were true. :)

How long do the polling threads stay open? I thought they were open all week and missed my chance to vote last week. :(