• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

So. Is the PS3 gonna bomb?

UMDs are hideously expensive. I would not invest in a PSP just to watch videos on, just like I wouldn't buy it to be an MP3 player either. It's just nice to have that functionality because I already carry it around to play games anyway.

i dont use umd-videos. no point in it. the .mp4 variant can be viewed on multiple systems, you just need the codec. however, the thing about the psp variant is that is designed to look best on the psp. thats ok by me. by customising the file to work best on the system, it helps keep the size down.

if i want to watch a vid whilst i'm out and about, i rip it off a dvd and put it on my psp. easy.

i view the psp as my personal portable entertainment system. i dont need for it's media to work on other systems, as i intend to use it mainly by myself.

games
music
comics(pics in general)
portable web access

for me, its an all in one

back on topic, what do you all think about the ps3 controller? gone is the rumble, but now we have pitch, yaw, and tilt... (please dont go on about how it was a rip off the wii) and how about the cross functionality with the psp? any speculation there?

Last edited:
I'm not too fond of the new pitch/yaw/tilt thign...as I tend to either play my videogames sprawled out on my bed face down, which gives my arms limited mobility, or sitting up when I really lean into games...and go crazy with the controller.

michael said:
because the screen is small enough to make it not worth it for me.

Obviously it is worth it to some people.

Last edited:
well, obviously, but so are lots of things i'm never going to understand.

:)

After playing Final Fantasy X-2 I was dissapointed by the dancing and clothes changing aspect that seemed to have taken over from the gameplay.

However if they made one with the same standard of engine as Oblivion (without the many glitches of course) then I would be very needy indeed.

Ive all but given up on final fantasy. The last one i enjoyed was 7. It had a dark element to it. All final fantasies since then have been to "goody goody", imho. I think square just tries to do too much with these games.

I am fairly confident that the PS3 will perform well in terms of sales. And I dont think it has a lot to do with the actual technology. The crap inside the box might sound funky, and help to build the hype, but really the only thing that matters in this case is consumer perception. And that perception, for better or worse, is that the Playstation brand is console gaming. On top of that, the PS3 will work fairly well, and will be comparable to its competitors. This, I think, will be enough when combined with the poor consumer attitude to Microsoft outside the USA and the perception that Nintendo do not have the depth of gaming variety that Sony will have.

I also have to say that Sony have got it generally correct with the styling of the PS3 (and for that matter the other playstations). As their functionality and hence their appeal grew wider, the playstation's styling has become more unassuming. With a product (the PS3) that is now used as a playing device for all kinds of media, Sony have opted for something that looks like it could have come from their range of amplifiers. The Microsoft and Nintendo products have evolved a bit, but still look like toys. After all, kids and teenagers who want a console wont care what it looks like, but there is no way it hell that anything that glows lime green is going to feature on my shelves.

The hardware doesn't matter guys, it's all about the software. Check every generation of consoles back to to the 2600, the best hardware has NEVER won. Always the system with the most popular games has.

Now, given the amount of developer grumbling going on about the PS3, that doesn't bode well. Granted Sony has their internal licenses to run on, but that didn't save Nintendo on the N64 when they pissed off all the 3rd parties.

Yes the PS3 will sell, it has too much momentum not to. But I think it's going to seriously erode Sony and PlayStation as reputable brands, because of all the issues we're seeing with it which are causing developers to get antsy.

josh_nexus I totally have to disagree with the aesthetics comments. The Wii definitely looks to me to be the most visually appealing of the three:

breveon3937.jpg

wii_console_small.jpg

Suave.

console2.jpg

Though the PS3 looks immeasurably better than the Xbox.

Xbox_360.jpg

Lostpunk; On review, I agree with you. That wasn't what I thought the new nintendo looked like. I must have mixed it up.

also, they're not shipping untis with an HDMI cable, you'll have to lay down an extra 20-30 dollars for that luxury.

lostpunk5545 said:
josh_nexus I totally have to disagree with the aesthetics comments. The Wii definitely looks to me to be the most visually appealing of the three:

I agree with you. THe xbox is hideous.

plus the wii is the cheapest
eb quoted about aud$350
that so cheap it's ridiculous not to buy!