• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Sleeping With The Enemy: Should You Date Across The Aisle?

w01fg4ng

Bluelighter
I find this topic interesting because my I have opposing political opinions with my SO. We started off on very similar view points politically, so our dating phase was never an issue politically. Now that we have decades of experience behind us, we have also changed and grown as people.

Specifically I have become more conservative while my partner has remained liberal. We barely argue about it however. We still argue more about what we are going to do for dinner than who we are voting for. Sure we throw jabs very occasionally at each other but it's playful and it isn't obsessive. Sometimes we have CNN and FOX news playing simultaneously. It's really not a big deal for us but we can see how it might be a huge deal for others.

Could you date someone with opposite political views as you? Why or why not?

Could you date someone with opposite political views as you? Why or why not?
Yes absolutely.
I find that growth occurs when we are removed from our comfort zone and challenged in our idealisms.
I find myself distancing from those who seem to have the same perspective(s) that I hold it just seems almost impossible and contrived.
Congrats on a successful long term relationship, bro: It aint easy or comfortable commiting to compromise.
<3

dating advice from Matt Walsh? lmao

I'm extremely skeptical about those poll numbers he's quoting...

But anyways, I wouldn't mind dating someone with different political views. I think the title of this video is stupid, "the enemy"? We are not enemies, we are fellow Americans. Quit making politics so damn divisive...

Last edited:
good question...

i would say it depends how deeply it controls your thoughts on day to day life and also how fully committed you are to that party's beliefs

you're probably more like me @w01fg4ng where you think the left went too far and you feel a little alienated from it, so you end up somewhere in the middle-right....basically you just think for yourself

i think the fully committed could be the hardest to get along with overall

but im more annoyed by the fully committed left....they're the worst if you ask me

Last edited:
I've never met a woman who thinks like me. I don't expect them to have that quality or bring that into the relationship.

Overall things are too politicized. Looking for political cameraderie in a romantic relationship is an expression of that. The relationship between man and woman is holy and deeper. I don't know if anything like that is possible right now. Where i live, women are extremely left-wing indoctrinated and it sadly permeates most things. I can't say my political views don't spill over either, but i think i have some concept of it being separate spheres rather than one big lifestyle kit. I think the left tends to demonize a lot more. Being in the fringe, i have learned to appreciate humans despite them not being aligned with my own vision, because i need it in my life. The majority has it perhaps too easy to opt away from differing perspectives and to entertain a social perfectionism. Delurious denial.

Where i live, women are extremely left-wing indoctrinated and it sadly permeates most things.
I think the key word here is indoctrinated, I wouldn't mind to date someone with different opinions and perspectives, on the contrary, it would be positive for my growth as 6am-64-14m has pointed out, but...
if someone is a fanatic is probably because s/he doesn't think on its own and that's pretty common, in all political/sociological backgrounds.
So I would only date someone who can and want to think by herlself and is not satisfied with the propaganda of one side or the other but finds the truth that is hidden (and that they hide).
If you are not an autonomous person I could not have a relationship with you, basically it would be like having a relationship with some kind of programmed cyborg.
Certainly in my country young women are also totally indoctrinated with what they have now taken to calling "left" ....

Last edited:
Date? Yes.
Sleep with? Sure.
Long-term relationship? It depends.

If she embraces the idea that the 2020 election was fraudulent, then no. I couldn't live with someone who is detached from reality.

I think I would have an issue with a zealot of any stripe, or anyone who hates other people. I could date a communist or a conspiracy theorist if they are chill about it and not full of anger. I think about it the same way as religion. My perspective differs drastically from that of a Catholic but I wouldn't have a problem dating one if she were humble about it and okay with the fact that I would never have faith.

Best relationship I've ever been in (lasted 7 yrs) was with my last gf who was a Christian. I'm atheist-leaning agnostic. We agreed on everything else 100%. We never argued about theology/philosophy and never tried to convert each other. But she wasn't a right-wing Christian. She actually took Jesus's teachings very seriously.

My wife and I are politically aligned on all issues except one. I’ll leave it open to speculation what that issue is.

As to the issue at hand, I’m an extremely political human. I could not be with someone who didn’t share most of my views. My wife challenges my views on things but we almost always come to the same conclusion after spirited discussion.

We might go to an art show and run into a bunch of liberals talking about freedom of expression and how it relates to politics and then later in the evening we might end up at a comedy club saturated with conservatives doing their best to uphold the first amendment.

Politics have seeped into the dating scene more than we would like to admit. For those of you who cannot date across the isle, what do you do in public? Do you simply not go to events that lean one way or another?

We might go to an art show and run into a bunch of liberals talking about freedom of expression and how it relates to politics and then later in the evening we might end up at a comedy club saturated with conservatives doing their best to uphold the first amendment.

Politics have seeped into the dating scene more than we would like to admit. For those of you who cannot date across the isle, what do you do in public? Do you simply not go to events that lean one way or another?
No, we don’t engage in political discourse with people in public because it’s rude. I can appreciate art or comedy without making it political. If the comic (good example) is explicitly political, I can appreciate it for what it is and enjoy it, while disagreeing. I’m not going to call it out and be an ass about it.

You straights really have it difficult in this area.

You probably are going to need your own pride month.

he-wont-if-its-ricin

Sounds like you and your wife are very mature. I wish we all could be like that. I feel you all took the position that political discussions are different views of subjects. Too many people are taking the position that the other side is the sworn enemy. And I will say it again, most of us would agree on about 90% of topics. On the others it should be agree to disagree, not burn down the house and fight.

I always feel when people are acting this mature and making it work that it paves the way for more people to do the same. Putting that good vibe out. I think people need to read things like this at present time.

When I look at me I can not identify with a political party. But I can look at different topics and give an opinion. Sometimes it falls conservative, other times liberal. Also there are some topics I realize I do not know how I feel about them until a discussion starts.

As a Communist it's kinda hard to find women with my political views. But if i like someone i like someone and that's it. My last gf was pretty liberal but the one before that not so much but it was a non issue.
In a way we all lie to ourselves,
it's not a problem because you may think/feel that communism is not going to happen any time soon, otherwise I'm sure you would consider things differently, mainly because she could not like a communist society, you will, and then real conflict could happen. When you're not "representing" a factual reality but a possibility then all is quite different, and easier.
I honestly wouldn't like to live with someone who thought the total opposite of me regarding certain things. In fact it would be impossible long term.
Why? because my life is driven by the fact of being coherent, to pursue my dreams that are tainted with my perspective of things and is "politic", as politic everyday is. So finding someone who wouldn't share my perspective would mean someone would need to give in and join the other person project and perspective of life,
and I wouldn't do that...

I have never had to think about this question. All my long term partners have been fully aligned with me politically. That’s not why we were/are together, but it is why we aren’t not together… or something like that.

Sadly the left and feminism are denying the sex differences that power our entire ride. Men are reduced to obedient worker bees devoid of charisma, treating their women like scary mommies. Women are denied their instincts too. Children are postponed and then treated like property rather than persons.
Huh? What a twisted and uninformed view of the left and feminism. For me feminism has helped me cultivate highly loving relationships filled with kinky sex beyond my wildest dreams, and I know many men who feel the same. If for you charisma equals toxic masculinity, then sure, i am devoid of charisma. But most people find me charismatic (dictionary definition, not your definition), even though I fully support feminism. Women aren’t denied anything, the basic idea of feminism being they can choose what to do with their lives. You are right that women, when given education and a choice, postpone childbirth or forgo it entirely. What’s the problem there? They are the ones who bear the brunt of pregnancy and the majority of child rearing. Why should anyone else have a say over that? I am unaware of children being treated like property by social liberals.

I guess you and me won’t be dating :)

This is a tough one for me.
I don't give a fuck as to what political views a girl has if it's just a hookup or we're friends with benefits. And I don't care what political views my friends have either.

But serious, long-term relationships might be a different story. I couldn't date someone who refused to call my trans friends by their preferred pronouns in conversation or was discriminatory towards a gay couple who I am close friends with, for example. It could be argued that such behaviour is far more of a petty and pointless bigotry disguised as a legitimate political belief than a political ideology, but I digress. Another thing to keep in mind is that some people will hide or alter their beliefs (and other things about themselves, obviously) to better align with that of their partner/prospective partner. But that is an honesty issue, not specifically the issue of differing beliefs.

Could I date somebody who believed that the 2020 election was rigged? I don't really care about that viewpoint as a non-American, but the people who hold that belief tend to have far more diffusing issues as @jasperkent and @Jerry Atrick implied.
Could I be in a long-term relationship with someone who is anti-vax? Probably not, I think that denial of medical science would annoy the fuck out of me as someone who is pursuing a career in medicine.

I think that the issue here is more that certain political beliefs are indicative of toxic/undesirable/incompatible traits in a person than anything. The link between personality traits and political beliefs has been studied a fair bit. We'll use the Big Five model here to simplify things.
Liberals tend to be more agreeable, extroverted, and openminded, conservatives tend to be far less agreeable and less open-minded than the population but more conscientious.
Authoritarians tend to be high in neuroticism. And libertarians tend to be very high in openness but somewhat disagreeable.

For example, I personally am very high in openness, high in extroversion, somewhat below average in agreeableness, somewhat high in conscientiousness, and neuroticism is probably average range but really depends due to episodic mental illness. My agreeableness has increased drastically (still slightly low), my conscientiousness has increased, and my neuroticism has decreased in recent years, and with that I have shifted from right-libertarianism towards something approximating a belief in leftist anarchism and community governance.

I could certainly date a girl who was a liberal or libertarian and probably even a conservative (Canadian conservatives tend to be a bit less nutty and radicalized than their American counterparts) But someone who was extremely authoritarian would probably clash with me poorly, as I have low tolerance for extremely neurotic people who like forcing those views on others due to trauma.
Someone who was extremely agreeable or disagreeable would also obviously be difficult to date long-term, since I don't want somebody whom is very overly argumentative or whom agrees with everything I say to the point that we can't even have a proper conversation.

But yeah. For me, it isn't the beliefs themselves that I really care about politically beyond a certain point. As long as somebody generally holds my basic values, I don't care how they identify politically or what their views are on taxes or firearms laws.
Religious beliefs are a bit of a different story, as I wouldn't want somebody who would give me an ultimatum about converting to/practicing a religion.