• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc sleeping meds

Specified

Ex-Bluelighter
Are there any good sleeping meds out there? Not benzos. Thanks

I'm happy to hear any replies too. Since i got off methadone i don't sleep more then 4 hours. I smoke weed and take benzos but nothing works

Hmmmm. Hey Specified and company. Typically, I would like a little bit more information regardingur situation. I understand that you're after sleeping medications, but this is actually a pretty vague request for us. I'd really like to know what your situation is. Is this insomnia drug-induced or something you struggle with on a regular basis? There are many medications out there. Could you let me know what you've tried? If anything has worked?

If you don't want benzo's I'm assuming you don't want any Z-drugs like Ambien either, right?

Trazodone (150mg) works consistently well for me
Very low dose Quetiapine (25-50mg) works well for most people, but unnecessary anti-psychotics aren't always a great idea
Mirtazapine (again, low doses, 15mg works best)
Amitriptyline didn't work for me but it has helped others
Chamomile and Lemon Balm (with optional lavender) is a good combination if you want to try a natural approach
I've had moderate success with Melatonin
Doxepin has some to be useful in people with mild-moderate insomnia
OTC anti-histamines are a fairly mild approach (eg Diphenhydramine, Doxylamine, Promethazine)

Hopefully some of these suggestions will be helpful to you! Good luck :)

100mg diphenhydramine should do the trick if you follow the instructions (well apart from where it says take 25-50mg a night lol)

Available over the counter in most pharmacies

I second the guys above with examples. Personally for me Amitriptyline blows even benzos and somatic/hypnotic designed compounds out of the water. Please don’t hesitate to DM me if you need anymore info.

Promethazine can be bought otc quetispine isn't nice to be on even at lowest dose passion flower and valerian grtmitmfor about fifteen dollars or ten pounds in uk that does work it also helps benzo and opiate withdrawal

I second the guys above with examples. Personally for me Amitriptyline blows even benzos and somatic/hypnotic designed compounds out of the water. Please don’t hesitate to DM me if you need anymore info.

Im not sleeping since i got off methadone and ive tried everything mentioned above.
Is Amitriptyline the same class as mirtazipine? I take mirtazipine and it helps get me to sleep but im up in 4 hours:(

No Luce, it is a Tetracyclic, whereas Amitriptyline is a Tricyclic antidepressant. It is well worth a try, if it works for you it will give your insomnia a good kick out of the window!!

No Luce, it is a Tetracyclic, whereas Amitriptyline is a Tricyclic antidepressant. It is well worth a try, if it works for you it will give your insomnia a good kick out of the window!!
So this sounds like a winner? Any major side effects?

It was for me individually yes. I would start low 25mg to gauge your response. Anticholinergic, so quite a dry mouth etc which fades after common usage. Slight fuzzy vision very mild, just feel it out, insomnia is better than taking to much at once!!

It was for me individually yes. I would start low 25mg to gauge your response. Anticholinergic, so quite a dry mouth etc which fades after common usage. Slight fuzzy vision very mild, just feel it out, insomnia is better than taking to much at once!!
So I can get this from a gp?

Yes absolutely, been around 50 years or more. Plus you will earn brownie points for not asking for a scheduled drug I suspect. Just say you have a family member with same issue, and Ami worked well!!

Thank's all for the top tips .. just made a doctor's appt;

Benzo's are king for that killer jet / meth lag .. but ultimately they ain't good on a more regular basis.

Thank's all for the top tips .. just made a doctor's appt;

Benzo's are king for that killer jet / meth lag .. but ultimately they ain't good on a more regular basis.

I hope you find relief soon, this insomnia sucks. I take benzos for anxiety and ive even tried tripling the dose and still no sleep.
Got 5 hours last night though.