Skydancer -- A Democratic Bluelight *see first post for link to Skydancer's response*

alasdairm said:
"Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country" jfk, 1961

?

alasdair

JFK presided over a democracy.

I'd be happy with a transparent administration, maybe using the announcements forum to keep people who want to know informed as to what is going on, and offering feedback.

As opposed to just doing things and then people disagreeing

I can only speak for myself, so I will - I haven't dropped this thread or it's discussion. I think there can still be quite a bit to be gained from constructive dialogue. I apologize that the real wolrd is keeping me from this and other issues lately, but hey, real world comes first.

I did have a page and a half written up in response to B_L and a few others, but I've wisely put it in draft until I can whittle it down and get to the point ;).

alasdairm said:
"Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country" jfk, 1961

?

alasdair

You act as if I'm doing absolutely nothing to better the board. I can assure you that it's quite the contrary. I contribute in the places where I have the most knowledge: mainly the steroid board. In fact, reading over it, I don't quite understand what you're implying. Is it just a more polite way of saying "shut the hell up"?

Roger&Me said:
That's a pretty piss-poor analogy for my attitude towards BL. It's more like being a citizen of a country and feeling that the government is acting unjustly. You don't just up and move to another country, you complain until they change(by protesting or social disobedience etc.).

yeah but this isn't a country, this is a message board. you don't pay taxes, and you don't have any rights. i don't know why people expect to have any say on someone else's website just cause they go there often. I go to google.com all the time.. why the fuck don't they ask me my opinion on things before they change them?

and you can complain all you want.. the more you complain about people who spend a whole lot of time keeping this site running so you can bitch about them, the less they probably are interested in what you have to say.

frizzantik said:
i don't know why people expect to have any say on someone else's website just cause they go there often. I go to google.com all the time.. why the fuck don't they ask me my opinion on things before they change them?
Wouldn't that infer then that Xtcxtc has a right to be listened to? That his "voice should be heard"?

I understand that he's said he'll fund this place any which way, but that still means he's voice should be listened to, just like we don't have a choice to pay taxes, but the government still listens to us (or at least in principle should do).

well, we are given the right to write to our local congressmen, but that doesn't mean they will respond ;) if they do, it's generally nothing more than a courtesy reply.

AlphaNumeric said:
Wouldn't that infer then that Xtcxtc has a right to be listened to? That his "voice should be heard"?

I understand that he's said he'll fund this place any which way, but that still means he's voice should be listened to, just like we don't have a choice to pay taxes, but the government still listens to us (or at least in principle should do).

if i were funding bluelight, i'd want a say in how things are run but from what I can tell xtcxtc has asked to be treated just like every other user. but even if every user paid a user fee to use the site, it still wouldn't give them the "right" to be heard, just like spectators at sporting events don't get to vote on changes to the stadium even though they paid an entrance fee. the only way you could express you voice is by refusing to spend your money there. that isn't really an option when it's a free service, but you could still stop showing up and contributing if you really dont like the place. when you see users who post a lot every day complaining about how bad the site is, it makes you wonder how much more they would post if they actually liked the site =D

Originally posted by Roger&Me
You act as if I'm doing absolutely nothing to better the board...Is it just a more polite way of saying "shut the hell up"?

the fact that my post followed your post does not mean it was a comment only on your post. if it was, i would have used a quote to make it clear (like this one).

my comment was a more generalised comment on the "bluelight owes me..." sentiment in the thread.

alasdair

Frizzantik, jesus:

yeah but this isn't a country, this is a message board. you don't pay taxes, and you don't have any rights. i don't know why people expect to have any say on someone else's website just cause they go there often.

BL is a community effort at harm reduction and well over a dozen different initiatives. It's not particularly edifying to rely on the community for everything that makes the site worthwhile, while sneering at them and telling them their opinions don't actually matter.
but you could still stop showing up and contributing if you really dont like the place.

Many have, some of the best. It's kind of a problem. *shrug*

frizzantik said:
if i were funding bluelight, i'd want a say in how things are run but from what I can tell xtcxtc has asked to be treated just like every other user. but even if every user paid a user fee to use the site, it still wouldn't give them the "right" to be heard, just like spectators at sporting events don't get to vote on changes to the stadium even though they paid an entrance fee. the only way you could express you voice is by refusing to spend your money there. that isn't really an option when it's a free service, but you could still stop showing up and contributing if you really dont like the place. when you see users who post a lot every day complaining about how bad the site is, it makes you wonder how much more they would post if they actually liked the site =D

You know, i don't get your logic here.Well actually i do, but it's rather stupid. I think were confusing BL with a business at the moment, and that is reflected when you talk about not having to pay..etc. This is not a goddamn sporting event, we are not spectators, we actually participate.

That's where your logic is screwed up. I mean come on, what would you rather have, a business like place where only people who pay to run this site can have there say and act like no one else matters in which case more people will(and have already) leave, or a place where members of BL can PARTICIPATE, and a place where our opinions do matter, which would lead the site to grow even bigger, and is the reason why BL is so big now.

I will repeat one lasttime, this is not a business. Do you understand that?(i usually agree with your views on things i think, but im shocked as to how you've reacted to this)

i guess i just have a different perspective because i actually run my own websites.

while sneering at them and telling them their opinions don't actually matter.

gimme a fucking break "sneering".. so it's ok to sneer at the volunteer staff but god forbid the staff reply in kind. seriously i only jumped in this thread cause i was sick and tired of the bullshit like "i feel like im getting fucked in the ass" and other shit that is obviously not "constructive" at all.

sorry if the truth hurts, but i dont know where people get this idea that just because they come here, they automatically get to dictate everything. it's not to say your opinions don't matter though, and sometimes it is asked.

hell if i recall correctly this whole thread got started because the users were asked to vote on something 8(

frizzantik said:
while sneering at them and telling them their opinions don't actually matter.

sorry if the truth hurts, but i dont know where people get this idea that just because they come here, they automatically get to dictate everything. it's not to say your opinions don't matter though, and sometimes it is asked.

hell if i recall correctly this whole thread got started because the users were asked to vote on something 8(

Im not saying we dictate everything, im saying our voices should matter otherwise why bother coming here as the whole point in this site is that it's a community. i see where youg et your logic from now asyou said you run your own sites, but that site would mean nothing if no one visited right? Do you see what i mean here?If you start dictating people the site will become meaningless, which is what im afraid bl will become.

And yes we were asked to vote on something, but the fucking poll was flawed. We couldn't really decide because the options were basically saying 'were gonna change it no matter what you vote'..or to me thats what they said anyway.

Yes, changes were going to happen, and EDD was asked which changes they would prefer.

Sorry if your A number 1 choice isn't on the list, but thats life.. I mean John Kerry wasn't who i wanted to vote for for president, but it was better than the other options.

I find it funny how your trying to make it out as BL is like a business, and where we dont have a say in anything, which is what your basically saying. They did not ask us by the way, read catches post. he basically gave us a poll, and said what ever we said in that thread didn't matter. Which is stupid cos if your gonna change a forum, you should ask the members of the forum what they personally think and not some poll with two flawed answers. I also don't understand why the 'if it aint broke,dont fix it' logic has been ignored either.

*waits for more comments saying,live with it*

Its a shame when im trying to get a discussion going here all you can do is come up with those comments, great argument mate.

Your attitude round here is starting to make me lose respect for you, i think your ego is getting to big, personally.